The Student Room Group

What to do if you get bad Alevel grades on results day?

Hey,

So my recent grades have been CEU (in my mocks). My life hasn’t been the best in terms of circumstances at home.
I am stressed and paranoid to the point I think that I didn’t even put the right question number (which I probably did and may have put the right question number) in my exam papers or shade small boxes for full lengthy essay questions. I do remember shading them for MCQ though.

I have sat my final/real exams and there is a higher probability that I will get these grades or slightly lower.

With CEU, I won’t be able to apply to any Unis or Apprenticeships (level 4-7) since they require at least CCC-A*A*A*.

I do not plan on taking a foundation course because what’s the point. The problem is i’d retake alevels but the cost is too much and i don’t know if I can afford.

I’ve lied about taking a “gap year”when I knew full well that I won’t even get the grades so I said that because I had at least something to say whenever someone asked me what I will do.

My plans are to work in retail or something else and maybe if I have the money I might retake, but it is hard getting a job out there and perhaps by the time i get a job it will probably be too late to even apply/retake alevels. Or maybe I will just miserably live my whole life working in retail. I don’t really know and I’m really scared for results day too.
Original post by Philemon4
Hey,

So my recent grades have been CEU (in my mocks). My life hasn’t been the best in terms of circumstances at home.
I am stressed and paranoid to the point I think that I didn’t even put the right question number (which I probably did and may have put the right question number) in my exam papers or shade small boxes for full lengthy essay questions. I do remember shading them for MCQ though.

I have sat my final/real exams and there is a higher probability that I will get these grades or slightly lower.

With CEU, I won’t be able to apply to any Unis or Apprenticeships (level 4-7) since they require at least CCC-A*A*A*.

I do not plan on taking a foundation course because what’s the point. The problem is i’d retake alevels but the cost is too much and i don’t know if I can afford.

I’ve lied about taking a “gap year”when I knew full well that I won’t even get the grades so I said that because I had at least something to say whenever someone asked me what I will do.

My plans are to work in retail or something else and maybe if I have the money I might retake, but it is hard getting a job out there and perhaps by the time i get a job it will probably be too late to even apply/retake alevels. Or maybe I will just miserably live my whole life working in retail. I don’t really know and I’m really scared for results day too.

I can see that you are very worried about how you have done in these exams and how this will affect your future but there is a lot more to succeeding in life than just the grades you get on results day. I've learned in life that everyone IS good at something. Some are creative artists, some are academic and excel at exams, some are craftspeople, others are athletic, maybe you enjoy writing and others are entrepreneurs and should be starting their own businesses. We are all good at something, we just have to work out what it is. At school I was useless at subject such as history, geography and science as I'm not good at remembering 'facts', however I was good at technical subjects - in particular computing, and that's what I have done for my whole career. Try going to clubs or other activities now that school is finished for you, try and find the thing that you are good at - it is out there! And don't get too hung up on those grades, we are not all academic so if you work out what your strengths are and make the most of them you'll be fine.
Original post by Philemon4
Hey,

Do you know why you’ve been struggling to get better grades? Is there an issue with your choice of subjects not being right for you?

Do you have any thoughts about what you might want to study further or the type of job or apprenticeship that you’re interested in?

what subject are you hoping for a C grade in?

Quick Reply

Latest