University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

2023/24 Ask a UAL Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessa0811
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi Jessa,

Thank you for reaching out. I think the best option is a high spec one, I would recommend the ones that can carry heavy programs (like Rhino Ceros 3D software) or have loads of memory. Usually, it would be the similar type that people use for gaming.

Having said this, it is not a necessity, but an ideal to have. I went though my entire degree with a MacBook. There are computers available at the campus to use in the library and the computer lab. You can always use them and they would have the design softwares installed, during the university opening hours.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Weronika

Hi Weronika thank you for answering my last question about the laptop :smile: I was wondering if UAL specifically CSM do offer holder days?

yes they do, i got sent an invite to my offer holder day a few days after i was sent my offer
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by pinkapoppy
Hi Jessa,

Thank you for reaching out. I think the best option is a high spec one, I would recommend the ones that can carry heavy programs (like Rhino Ceros 3D software) or have loads of memory. Usually, it would be the similar type that people use for gaming.

Having said this, it is not a necessity, but an ideal to have. I went though my entire degree with a MacBook. There are computers available at the campus to use in the library and the computer lab. You can always use them and they would have the design softwares installed, during the university opening hours.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Weronika

Hi Weronika thank you for answering my last question about the laptop :smile: I was wondering if UAL specifically CSM do offer holder days?

yes they do, i got sent an invite to my offer holder day a few days after i was sent my offer

Okay thank you !
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hi,
I have a question for Teju.

I am an international student too, starting at LCF this fall. What is a more cheaper accommodation option - UAL student halls or private student halls?
I really want to stay at the UAL halls, but there seems to be none close to the new LCF building? which halls have the best connectivity to LCF, and do you suggest any?
Hi @Anonymous#7

Thankyou for reaching out.

In my personal opinion, I feel the UAL Halls are cheaper as compared to private student halls. But there are price ranges in both, so it isn't one answer fits all. It is very specific.

With reference to proximity to the new LCF Building, I would recommend Stratford One and Wick Park . I live in the same area and I feel they are both very well suited.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Best,
Teju
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hello and welcome to our Ask a UAL Student Ambassador thread!

Whether you’ve received a place, already applied, or are thinking about applying to UAL, post any questions you have here and our Student Ambassadors will do their best to answer .

A little intro to our Ambassadors currently running this thread:

Name: Weronika
Course: BA Architecture, Central Saint Martins

My name is Weronika. I am a final year BA Architecture student and a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design graduate, both at Central Saint Martins. I moved to London almost 4 years ago for my studies. Apart from university life, the city offers incredible amount of events and opportunities to grow. I took my first steps into a creative career by working in an art gallery, starting some freelance design work, as well as assisting a visual artist in their exhibition preparation. At the moment, my research concentrates on sustainable city planning..

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and share my experience. Don’t hesitate to contact me!

Name: Tejaswini

Course: MA Fashion Futures, London College of Fashion

Greetings, I'm Tejaswini, a dedicated MA Fashion Futures student at London College of Fashion (LCF). I moved from India to the vibrant and diverse city of London, and it has been nothing short of a transformative experience.

My time at UAL has been full of challenges and opportunities, all of which have contributed significantly to my personal and academic growth. I fully understand that navigating this path can be both thrilling and demanding, and I'm here to offer guidance and support throughout your journey.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out I'm here to help! 😊
Hello Weronika and Tejaswini, were you required to go in every day for your Foundation Diploma or only 3-4 days per week? Also, approximately how many hours per day? Thank you
Whether you’ve received a place, already applied, or are thinking about applying to UAL, post any questions you have here and our Student Ambassadors will do their best to answer .
My name is Weronika. I am a final year BA Architecture student and a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design graduate, both at Central Saint Martins. I moved to London almost 4 years ago for my studies. Apart from university life, the city offers incredible amount of events and opportunities to grow. I took my first steps into a creative career by working in an art gallery, starting some freelance design work, as well as assisting a visual artist in their exhibition preparation. At the moment, my research concentrates on sustainable city planning..
I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and share my experience. Don’t hesitate to contact me!
Greetings, I'm Tejaswini, a dedicated MA Fashion Futures student at London College of Fashion (LCF). I moved from India to the vibrant and diverse city of London, and it has been nothing short of a transformative experience.
My time at UAL has been full of challenges and opportunities, all of which have contributed significantly to my personal and academic growth. I fully understand that navigating this path can be both thrilling and demanding, and I'm here to offer guidance and support throughout your journey.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out I'm here to help! 😊

Is it expensive studying an arts subject and also living in London, is there any way to make it more more affordable
Hello, I submitted my portfolio to lcf a month ago and still haven’t heard anything back. Just worried that accommodation will be filled

Hey! I made a thread about this which I’ll try to delete, cause I blindly missed this thread before I posted!

I’m trying to understand what the average number of days per week you’d need to attend on the Fashion Design courses at LCF and CSM, and the average start finish times, as a first year student.

I know timetables are very changeable and some weeks might be more/less days, or longer/shorter hours.

Just hoping to find out if it’s generally 5 days a week 9.30-4pm or 3 days a week 9-5pm etc, as I’m a mature student who would need to commute in and work alongside my studies. Want to know if that’d be feasible.

Thanks!
Original post by Bella Wan
Hi there! I really want to know how long it takes to hear back from you after the interview haha. Mine took place on the 6th of February and so far have not received any update in the portal & UCAS. Thanks!!
Hi @Bella Wan,

I understand how nerve-wrecking this time period can be. You should hear from the team before 16th of May!

Best,
Teju
Original post by Yukyukmukduk
Hey! I made a thread about this which I’ll try to delete, cause I blindly missed this thread before I posted!
I’m trying to understand what the average number of days per week you’d need to attend on the Fashion Design courses at LCF and CSM, and the average start finish times, as a first year student.
I know timetables are very changeable and some weeks might be more/less days, or longer/shorter hours.
Just hoping to find out if it’s generally 5 days a week 9.30-4pm or 3 days a week 9-5pm etc, as I’m a mature student who would need to commute in and work alongside my studies. Want to know if that’d be feasible.
Thanks!
Hi @Yukyukmukduk ,

Are you applying for a BA or MA?
Original post by Anonymous #12
Hello, I submitted my portfolio to lcf a month ago and still haven’t heard anything back. Just worried that accommodation will be filled
Hi @Anonymous#12

Have you applied for an MA or BA?
Hi @Yukyukmukduk ,
Are you applying for a BA or MA?

A BA 😊
Original post by Anonymous #11
Is it expensive studying an arts subject and also living in London, is there any way to make it more more affordable
Hi @Anonymous #11
Thank-you for reaching out

I can tell you my own experience because everybody has different circumstances and situations.

London is an expensive city, especially for someone like me who is an international student. Luckily, my parents were supporting me. I was also working on the side in the service industry to support myself.

I would recommend trying to find a job or internship on the side. Keeping that in mind, I did realise that managing the two can be very hard sometimes. It is important to keep that in check.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Teju
UAL Student Ambassador
Original post by Yukyukmukduk
A BA 😊
HI @Yukyukmukduk ,

That's wonderful!

A BA in Fashion at LCF and CSM both can get very hectic. The working number of days per week can vary based on the time in the term and year. The average time is 10-5 but like you said can vary a lot.

Additionally, you end up having to give a lot of time into self-study, into the workshops and studios and library or other labs; so it's not just the taught hours that need to be considered.

Depending on your hours of work, I believe it can be managed but of course can be tricky too.

Please reach out with any more questions!

Best,
Teju
UAL Student Ambassador
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi @Anonymous#12

Have you applied for an MA or BA?

BA
HI @Yukyukmukduk ,
That's wonderful!
A BA in Fashion at LCF and CSM both can get very hectic. The working number of days per week can vary based on the time in the term and year. The average time is 10-5 but like you said can vary a lot.
Additionally, you end up having to give a lot of time into self-study, into the workshops and studios and library or other labs; so it's not just the taught hours that need to be considered.
Depending on your hours of work, I believe it can be managed but of course can be tricky too.
Please reach out with any more questions!
Best,
Teju
UAL Student Ambassador
That’s really helpful - thanks so much for the quick answer!
Hello,

I am not entirely sure so I may advice to contact your department. I did not attend any of such events, but once you enrol there is a Freshers Week which is a good opportunity to meet people from the university.

Here is some information for offer holders on our website: https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/study-abroad/next-steps-for-offer-holders

Best,
Weronika
Does anyone know what we can expect from the Offer Holder open day? I’m debating whether it’s worth attending or not since I’ve been to the course’s open day already
Hi, I got offer recently from LCF for my Strategic Fashion Marketing, but there was unforeseen situation happen to me and my family, I would like to know is it possible to defer my offer for next year or who should I contact to?
Original post by phoebesong2023
Hi, I got offer recently from LCF for my Strategic Fashion Marketing, but there was unforeseen situation happen to me and my family, I would like to know is it possible to defer my offer for next year or who should I contact to?

Hi @phoebesong2023 ,

Thankyou for reaching out!

To defer your place on a course you need to log into your UAL portal and use the 'Contact Us' button and select the Category - Deferral. You will need to do this by 31st August.
The deferral will only be able to take place with an unconditional offer and you might be required to pay the deposit if you are overseas.

I hope this helped. Please do reach out with any more questions.

Best,
Teju
UAL Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous #3
Have you received an email or just checked the portal and saw your offer?

Hi I was wondering that where I can check at the portal to see the updated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending