The Student Room Group

story for my language GCSE paper it is unfinished but would like feedback

Ping after ping. Message after message. As I glanced over my shoulder, my phone was dancing with vibrations of incoming calls. I snatched it from the corner of my bed , bewildered. I had never felt so significant before.
“Hello?”
“URGENT! Answer your calls!” It was my sister. We hadn’t talked since 2019, the year I moved out of my parents home. What could she possibly want? A case of nerves were weighing me down as I was building my courage to answer , thoughts and questions stacking on top of eachother piece by piece like a 3 tier wedding cake. Anxiously , I clicked on her name and pulled the phone closer to my ear. Listening to the resonant sound penetrating through my eardrums , while waiting for her to pick up.
“Hi , he-llo” she answered while weeping.
“What’s happened? , you good?” I asked.
“Sh she’s gone, mum has gone”
I got a knot in the pit of my stomach when the news of my loved one was announced. I froze. I could feel my heart shattering into shards like glass.
Original post by jj_12345
Ping after ping. Message after message. As I glanced over my shoulder, my phone was dancing with vibrations of incoming calls. I snatched it from the corner of my bed , bewildered. I had never felt so significant before.
“Hello?”
“URGENT! Answer your calls!” It was my sister. We hadn’t talked since 2019, the year I moved out of my parents home. What could she possibly want? A case of nerves were weighing me down as I was building my courage to answer , thoughts and questions stacking on top of eachother piece by piece like a 3 tier wedding cake. Anxiously , I clicked on her name and pulled the phone closer to my ear. Listening to the resonant sound penetrating through my eardrums , while waiting for her to pick up.
“Hi , he-llo” she answered while weeping.
“What’s happened? , you good?” I asked.
“Sh she’s gone, mum has gone”
I got a knot in the pit of my stomach when the news of my loved one was announced. I froze. I could feel my heart shattering into shards like glass.

Hi,

Of course, marking this wouldn't produce an accurate result due to it's short length. However, so far it looks good. There is a clear and effective use of sentence structure here, with repetition being effectively integrated into the opening sentences. You have used a few good techniques such as personification, rhetorical questions and metaphors - all of which successfully help to reach your audience and engage with them.

However, there is certainly scope for more ambitious vocabulary throughout this piece (something that will certainly boost your grade up). Additionally, more marks of punctuation could be implemented such as colons and semicolons etc in order to show the examiner your understanding of grammar. I would personally try to stay away from having too much dialogue throughout your piece as it can often get confusing and also doesn't allow you to fully show your best work as a writer. Having said that, what you have written so far doesn't take away from that at all - I just wouldn't want your piece to become challenging to read as you continue.

If you have finished this response, please feel free to send it to me and I will mark it in it's entirety.

George

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending