The Student Room Group

I have bed-wetting problems at age 18 and only just found out this isn’t ordinary

I know a lot of people will think of me as a troll or pervert for posting this, but I promise it’s a genuine struggle that I’ve only recently discovered is probably a medical issue.

Since I was about 13, I’ve had humiliating issues with bed wetting. At first, I thought it was just a part of puberty that either some or most people had to go through, and just hoped that it would stop over time. But eventually I figured out that this isn’t normal. It’s only in the last month that I actually searched up why this is happening and how to stop it, but there are so few results that apply to me. Anything that is relevant suggests I need to consult a doctor.

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to conceal my clothes and bedsheets and wash them when nobodies at home. It’s been so embarrassing for me having to do this, I’ve turned down once-in-a-lifetime trips and holidays in fear that someone might find out, I’ve lied to friends and distanced myself from people who I worry will find out, and I’m so tired of doing this over and over again.

I just want to know what I should do. Will it eventually stop happening or do I need to see a doctor? Is there any medication or solution I should know about? Do I need to, after 5 years, finally talk to my parents about this? I’m so worried that people will just think I’m lying to satisfy some awful fetish and it scares me that this might just be something I have to live with that prevents me from ever having friends again or getting into a relationship. I know this probably isn’t the right place to ask about these things, I just want to know I’m not alone for someone aged 18.
I don’t know much about this issue but there certainly are such things as adult nappies and this would at least prevent the sheets getting constantly wet and having to wash them all the time. In any case you need to see a doctor about this as they will have the expertise and there may be numerous medical solutions for this.
Absolutely see a GP. There could be an underlying issue causing it.
Original post by Anonymous
I know a lot of people will think of me as a troll or pervert for posting this, but I promise it’s a genuine struggle that I’ve only recently discovered is probably a medical issue.

Since I was about 13, I’ve had humiliating issues with bed wetting. At first, I thought it was just a part of puberty that either some or most people had to go through, and just hoped that it would stop over time. But eventually I figured out that this isn’t normal. It’s only in the last month that I actually searched up why this is happening and how to stop it, but there are so few results that apply to me. Anything that is relevant suggests I need to consult a doctor.

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to conceal my clothes and bedsheets and wash them when nobodies at home. It’s been so embarrassing for me having to do this, I’ve turned down once-in-a-lifetime trips and holidays in fear that someone might find out, I’ve lied to friends and distanced myself from people who I worry will find out, and I’m so tired of doing this over and over again.

I just want to know what I should do. Will it eventually stop happening or do I need to see a doctor? Is there any medication or solution I should know about? Do I need to, after 5 years, finally talk to my parents about this? I’m so worried that people will just think I’m lying to satisfy some awful fetish and it scares me that this might just be something I have to live with that prevents me from ever having friends again or getting into a relationship. I know this probably isn’t the right place to ask about these things, I just want to know I’m not alone for someone aged 18.

You've had this problem for 5 years. It won't go away on its own, but that doesn't mean you have to live with it and allow it to take over your life. You need to see a GP about this and get some help.

Because you're 18, you don't have to tell your parents if you don't feel comfortable doing so. However, going to the GP means that you may be able to get some medicine that will help you go to sleep at night without having the urge to go to the toilet, which should help greatly. The GP may also be able to help you figure out what has caused this in order to implement a long-term solution.

A lot of the time, bedwetting is caused by stress and anxiety. If you also struggle to hold the toilet during the day, you may also be suffering from incontinence as a result of having a weak pelvic floor. If you are finding it difficult to book an appointment with the GP, try attempting kegels (exercises which strengthen your pelvic floor) and activities that reduce stress (such as meditation) while you wait in order to see whether they are of any benefit.

Lastly, know that you are not alone. 14 million people in the UK have some kind of incontinence problem, and it is not only older people that do. There is support out there and you don't have to suffer in silence. Please reach out for help so that you can get the control that you have lost in your life back.
Reply 4
Try buying one of those alarms, where theres a component that you can put in your underwear. It detects the slightest bit of liquid and the alarm goes off to wake you up to go to the toilet. One of my family members who had the same issue at 13 tried this for a few weeks and got rid of it permanently. Another helpful thing to do is to pee right before you go to bed.
Reply 5
Go to the GP ASAP
Reply 6
Original post by SagaciousSag
Because you're 18, you don't have to tell your parents if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

You can see a doctor on your own from much earlier than 18, and you don't need to tell your parents.
Reply 7
Do see a GP as your first port of call... this is a more common problem than you probably realise, with a variety of possible causes and plenty of possible solutions or ways to manage it.

Quick Reply

Latest