The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford?

Hi
I am considering applying to Oxford but not sure if it’s the right place for me. I take A level Geography, Politics and Psychology and am predicted A* A* A*. Reasons I want to apply are I went to St John’s geography study day and loved it, and Oxford is the best ranked place to study Geography.
The issues I have are I prefer human to physical geography, but the course at Oxford combines both . I know the workload at oxford is heavy and am not sure if I would enjoy working on physical geography. My other top uni choice is Leeds, which offers Geography and Transport studies. This may work for me as it’s focused more on human geography. I am also unsure on social life at oxford, I like idea of the college system but as a state school student I am worried that I would not meet people similar to me. Overall, I know from the study day that I enjoy the teaching style and location of Oxford but am concerned about workload and social life . Also I’m aware it’s very selective so I probably won’t get in anyways but I don’t know if it’s worth me applying or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Of course it's worth applying! If you never try, you won't get in. I've hung around Oxford a bit and you don't have to worry about a public-state school divide, it's not noticeable (and most students come from state schools these days anyway). Oxford has a swinging social life where you get to meet just about everyone and their uncle so you wouldn't struggle!

You can always apply and if you get in and decide you prefer Leeds... you can always join the very small and selective club of people that have rejected their Oxford offer. No shame in that. Oxford is one of the best universities... but it isn't that far ahead from other places and it isn't for everyone. I'd apply if anything to satisfy your curiosity and because putting a competitive Oxford application means putting together a killer application to uni which will help you secure other places :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending