The Student Room Group

PT previous study query

Hi, I just wanted to check the advice I have been given by SFE online chat is correct?

Say I wanted to study a 5 year degree, normally I would get 6 years of loan entitlement.

However, if I have previously studied a Part Time HNC (over 2 years, 1 day a week, company paid) and 'achieved' the qualification, would my entitlement still be 6, because PT does not interfere with FT entitlement?

Or, because I have 'achieved' the qualification, would it still be counted against FT entitlement, because I had completed it?

Many thanks
Original post by wardheed
Hi, I just wanted to check the advice I have been given by SFE online chat is correct?

Say I wanted to study a 5 year degree, normally I would get 6 years of loan entitlement.

However, if I have previously studied a Part Time HNC (over 2 years, 1 day a week, company paid) and 'achieved' the qualification, would my entitlement still be 6, because PT does not interfere with FT entitlement?

Or, because I have 'achieved' the qualification, would it still be counted against FT entitlement, because I had completed it?

Many thanks

Hi there,

We count part-time study when a qualification is gained from it, but this should still be okay. We use a calculation to determined how many years of funding you should be entitled to, and this looks okay.

When do you plan to begin this new course?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Hi, Thanks for getting back.

I was just working out future funding, and wanted to know if this would count as 2 years againlst future funding.

I have been told in the past it would be treat as FT, because I had achieved the qualification, even though studied PT.

But then online recently I was told it wouldnt count, as it's part time study which is calculated separately to FT entitlement, regardless of completion.

I'm confused, so if you could clear this up for me it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Hi, Thanks for getting back.

I was just working out future funding, and wanted to know if this would count as 2 years againlst future funding.

I have been told in the past it would be treat as FT, because I had achieved the qualification, even though studied PT.

But then online recently I was told it wouldnt count, as it's part time study which is calculated separately to FT entitlement, regardless of completion.

I'm confused, so if you could clear this up for me it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Part-time study definitely counts when a qualification is gained, however this might not be a problem at all. Like we were saying, if you're effectively topping up to a degree to calculation is slightly different. So, based on this it sounds like you'd may well be entitled to funding for the duration of a new course.

To know for sure, we'd suggest making an application online, even if you don't have a confirmed place yet or are not planning to study this year.

We can then tell you exactly what you'll be entitled to. You can always cancel the application later.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 4
Just to clarify, when you say 'topping up' do you mean doing a top up course, or moving from an HNC to a degree?

The degree would be in a totally different subject.

Many thanks
Just to clarify, when you say 'topping up' do you mean doing a top up course, or moving from an HNC to a degree?

The degree would be in a totally different subject.

Many thanks

Hi wardheed,

If you already have a HNC and are going to degree level, this would be considered as a 'top up.' Can you confirm if it is an ordinary degree or an honours degree?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
It would be an hons degree. I'll give you the details, if you could clarify, it would be much appreciated.

I am looking to study a 5/6 year degree. Say 5 for this example. So entitlement would start at 6 years (course length + bonus year).

- After college, I enrolled on BA (Hons) degree, Full time. Withdrew after 1 week. Self funded and got money back, however I've checked with the uni and they confirmed I definitely enrolled initially.

- Later. I studied Part Time, One day per week, work release, over 2 years. The company paid for this. I achieved the qualification, a Level 5 HNC. (I've checked with Edexcel and they have confirmed it was a Level 5 HNC, not level 4 bizarrely).

- Later. I Studied an HND, Full time, but left in the 2nd term. Funded by Student Finance. Did not achieve qualification.

With the above in mind, I am aware the BA and HND would likely be 2 years taken away from my entitlement (leaving 4 years entitlement).

But what about the HNC I achieved Part time? Would this be another 2 years taken away, or would it not count as its PT study, even though I acheived the qualification?

Finally, since I would be going from an HNC to a Degree course, could that mean changes to entitlement, as you discussed topping up above?

I know you can't give definite answers without an application, but some sort of general idea would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
It would be an hons degree. I'll give you the details, if you could clarify, it would be much appreciated.

I am looking to study a 5/6 year degree. Say 5 for this example. So entitlement would start at 6 years (course length + bonus year).

- After college, I enrolled on BA (Hons) degree, Full time. Withdrew after 1 week. Self funded and got money back, however I've checked with the uni and they confirmed I definitely enrolled initially.

- Later. I studied Part Time, One day per week, work release, over 2 years. The company paid for this. I achieved the qualification, a Level 5 HNC. (I've checked with Edexcel and they have confirmed it was a Level 5 HNC, not level 4 bizarrely).

- Later. I Studied an HND, Full time, but left in the 2nd term. Funded by Student Finance. Did not achieve qualification.

With the above in mind, I am aware the BA and HND would likely be 2 years taken away from my entitlement (leaving 4 years entitlement).

But what about the HNC I achieved Part time? Would this be another 2 years taken away, or would it not count as its PT study, even though I acheived the qualification?

Finally, since I would be going from an HNC to a Degree course, could that mean changes to entitlement, as you discussed topping up above?

I know you can't give definite answers without an application, but some sort of general idea would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi wardheed,

In this case, you would be eligible for the full funding for years 2,3,4,5 and 6, if it is a 6 years course. As the calculation is 6+1-2= 5 years.

For year 1, you need to self fund the Tuition Fees however will still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan and any grants.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 8
Great, thank you very much. I was confused about the PT qualification, as I had thought SF took it away from FT entitlements if you have achieved the course. This has cleared it up for me so thank you for your help.
Great, thank you very much. I was confused about the PT qualification, as I had thought SF took it away from FT entitlements if you have achieved the course. This has cleared it up for me so thank you for your help.

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask us.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending