The Student Room Group

English at uni of York vs uni of Leeds

opinions?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ella1507
I have received offers to study English at the University of York (AAB) and English Literature at the University of Leeds (ABB). I'm currently trying to decide which one should be my firm choice.
I prefer Leeds in its key aspects i.e the campus is prettier, more libraries (important to me as an English student lol), accommodation is better, gym is incredible, city has lots to do and the student union was great.
However, I found the city of York to be more my vibe and felt slightly more comfortable there. I also definitely liked York a lot in terms of everything listed above, the differences were not major. I was initially more attracted to York and the English department at York seems to be more revered (all of these things are just based on what I've heard/my experience).
The main thing is how happy I'll be at university and how easy it'll be for me to settle in, especially important as I go to a tiny school and am a homebird. I'm definitely social but more of an introvert, I don't enjoy club culture and drinking a lot, but equally do want to be able to go out to bars at weekends and have a good time. I've heard that the party culture at Leeds is much more predominant than at York, meaning that I might fit in better at York. Obviously I know that you'll get people who are similar to me at Leeds, and people who are into club culture at York, but I just want to try to get a feel of if there is a big difference in terms of the vibes between the two or if it's all just based on stereotypes.
I would really appreciate any opinions from anyone who has been to either uni, particularly English students or people who got accepted by both, why did you choose one over the other? Also, thoughts on the different English departments?
I love both universities, and I can picture myself at either which is a great position to be in, but obviously it's a big decision to make when they come so close. Thank you :smile:

You don't need to make this decision until June 2024. Attend the offer-holder days before you make any decisions.
Original post by ella1507
opinions?

Hi there!

I have recently completed my English Literature degree and hopefully I can pass on any advice from when I was looking at English courses at multiple universities a few years ago.

When I was doing my research, I first consulted the university websites and compared the modules against each other, along with the reading list, to see what sparked my interest more. Doing this allowed me to start weighing up pros and cons.

Additionally, attend open days! Having a good course is one thing, but having a feel for campuses and cities is the best way to start making final decisions. Speaking with academics and current students is also great, as you can ask as many questions as you want! The course is not the only thing that matters when making these choices, as you need a great city to live in and great academics to put your faith into!

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Reply 3
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

I have recently completed my English Literature degree and hopefully I can pass on any advice from when I was looking at English courses at multiple universities a few years ago.

When I was doing my research, I first consulted the university websites and compared the modules against each other, along with the reading list, to see what sparked my interest more. Doing this allowed me to start weighing up pros and cons.

Additionally, attend open days! Having a good course is one thing, but having a feel for campuses and cities is the best way to start making final decisions. Speaking with academics and current students is also great, as you can ask as many questions as you want! The course is not the only thing that matters when making these choices, as you need a great city to live in and great academics to put your faith into!

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

I second this!

Although, I know this is strictly regarding the course, I think it's worth noting that Leeds has a bit of a reputation for being very party-heavy, though ultimately, it's OP's preference!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending