The Student Room Group

friends at a new sixth form?

so I just finished year 11 and I'm going to the closest sixth form to my house. However, literally no one from my secondary school is going there as it's a pretty selective private school and I just about managed to get a "scholarship"(paid tuition at the expense of what otherwise would have been a bursary for bus fare/clothing). I don't usually struggle with making friends but with this school I am really scared because as far as I know there's only 7 other girls(the school is divided in girls/boys divisions) who got scholarships and they're all from the same school(not mine) and everyone else is from the private school's own secondary school. The scholarship girls are ok but they've all chosen WAY different a-levels to me like latin, history and classical civilisation so I doubt I would see them often enough to become friends with them. The private school girls are known for only keeping to themselves and even then being very rude. I'm very nervous, what if i end up having no friends throughout s.f
Reply 1
bro i feel so sorry for you, i simply couldn't imagine going to a girls school, i'd just imagine it being so toxic. Remember, you spend a year and a half in total there, you won't fit in at the start but over a couple of months the anxiety wears away, and you gradually get used to it. I can't believe that i spent a year at a sixth form at a different schools: it was, in some respect, horrible, i quite dislike a majority of my friend group (all really academic, one continually talks about his families "intrafamily intimate relationships" he's heard of/participated in, showy, or just annoying), but you do have to remember that you do spent half the year of that at home, and that if you REALLY hate it, your brain sort of shuts itself off (I time skipped like 4 months ngl). You will often find friends after a few weeks just by random (act of god), and if you don't, it's such a short time you can firm it.
Reply 2
Original post by Imran M
bro i feel so sorry for you, i simply couldn't imagine going to a girls school, i'd just imagine it being so toxic. Remember, you spend a year and a half in total there, you won't fit in at the start but over a couple of months the anxiety wears away, and you gradually get used to it. I can't believe that i spent a year at a sixth form at a different schools: it was, in some respect, horrible, i quite dislike a majority of my friend group (all really academic, one continually talks about his families "intrafamily intimate relationships" he's heard of/participated in, showy, or just annoying), but you do have to remember that you do spent half the year of that at home, and that if you REALLY hate it, your brain sort of shuts itself off (I time skipped like 4 months ngl). You will often find friends after a few weeks just by random (act of god), and if you don't, it's such a short time you can firm it.

thank you! that's actually really assuring because i can't imagine staying there for longer than that and i'm really sorry about your friends
Reply 3
Original post by useless-dismay
thank you! that's actually really assuring because i can't imagine staying there for longer than that and i'm really sorry about your friends

its all good, I just focus on olympiads now to distract myself
Reply 4
Original post by useless-dismay
so I just finished year 11 and I'm going to the closest sixth form to my house. However, literally no one from my secondary school is going there as it's a pretty selective private school and I just about managed to get a "scholarship"(paid tuition at the expense of what otherwise would have been a bursary for bus fare/clothing). I don't usually struggle with making friends but with this school I am really scared because as far as I know there's only 7 other girls(the school is divided in girls/boys divisions) who got scholarships and they're all from the same school(not mine) and everyone else is from the private school's own secondary school. The scholarship girls are ok but they've all chosen WAY different a-levels to me like latin, history and classical civilisation so I doubt I would see them often enough to become friends with them. The private school girls are known for only keeping to themselves and even then being very rude. I'm very nervous, what if i end up having no friends throughout s.f

So why have you chosen to go there?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
So why have you chosen to go there?

I chosen it for it's reputation and quality of teaching/facilities rather than just choosing the colleges my friends are going to. it's also the closest to my house being just over a mile so i can walk there while the colleges my friends picked are all over 20 miles from my house. I don't mind it being girls only or anything if i'm honest since I'm not really there just for friends although that is important and i'm sure i'll make friends, just nervous rn since the only people i've met there are the other girls who got scholarships and like 2 prefects
Reply 6
My daughter is profoundly deaf and went through a States funded co-ed school right up to GCSEs as she needed 1:1 support. She transferred to the all girls private school across the road for A levels, as her Record of Need followed her there. So, first profoundly deaf to ever attend that school, only child in the school with a Record of Need and nobody else went with her. She is FLYING. Very very happy. Slotted right in and everybody has been very kind to her and welcomed her into the fold. She has even been made a senior prefect after one year at the school (which has put a few noses out of joint). Her secret? I am who I am and if you like me, great, and if you don't, fine. She wanted to make friends but took the view that, even if it didn't happen, her A levels were her ticket to university and wouldn't last that long.
Just be yourself and try to integrate. Don't sit in a corner; at this stage of the game it's unlikely people will come to you. You'll soon work out who will accept you and who won't (all girls schools can be very cliquey) but there is always a group of welcoming girls, many of whom had trouble fitting in to start with and then banded together. Find that group. Good luck. Be happy.
Reply 7
Original post by LadyViv1st
My daughter is profoundly deaf and went through a States funded co-ed school right up to GCSEs as she needed 1:1 support. She transferred to the all girls private school across the road for A levels, as her Record of Need followed her there. So, first profoundly deaf to ever attend that school, only child in the school with a Record of Need and nobody else went with her. She is FLYING. Very very happy. Slotted right in and everybody has been very kind to her and welcomed her into the fold. She has even been made a senior prefect after one year at the school (which has put a few noses out of joint). Her secret? I am who I am and if you like me, great, and if you don't, fine. She wanted to make friends but took the view that, even if it didn't happen, her A levels were her ticket to university and wouldn't last that long.
Just be yourself and try to integrate. Don't sit in a corner; at this stage of the game it's unlikely people will come to you. You'll soon work out who will accept you and who won't (all girls schools can be very cliquey) but there is always a group of welcoming girls, many of whom had trouble fitting in to start with and then banded together. Find that group. Good luck. Be happy.

Thank you!! senior prefect is such an amazing role! I'll try to follow your daughter's advice when I start sixth form in n few months and I hope my experience turns out as good as hers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending