The Student Room Group

my gcse journey

Hi, everyone! I saw a lot of other people do this and was inspired to do my own gyg thread!
My mocks are about to start this time next week and last from 14 Dec to 19 Jan.

౨ৎTHE SUBJECTS I DO:
Edxcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English
AQA Combined Science (Higher)
AQA Spanish (Higher)
AQA Economics
AQA History
Edxcel Computer Science

For science, I am currently on the foundation paper but I've spoken to teachers at my school and I've been told if I can get a 5-5, I'll be able to do higher for my actual exams since I'm a fast track student. (update‼: doing higherr now besties😝)

MY GOALS FOR MOCKS (updating my scores 15 feb!!🙂 ):
Maths - 7 (or I'll be fine with the usual 6)
English Lang - 7/8 [8]
English Lit - 7/8 [7]
Science - 5-5 [5-5]
Spanish - 7 [7]
Economics - 6 [5]
History - 7 [7]
Comp Science - 6/7 [6]

MY GOALS FOR GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Lang - 8
English Lit - 8/9
Science - 7-7/7-8
Spanish - 7
Economics - 7
History - 8
Computer Science - 7

Lets all pray I do good because I actually want to get these grades so bad so I can get into a good sixth form! But with revision, I guess everything is possible😭

So if anyone has solid, really good revision techniques/websites/revision methods for these subjects, please feel free to reply to this post with your suggestions!
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heartz4moushi
Hi, everyone! I saw a lot of other people do this and was inspired to do my own gyg thread!

THE SUBJECTS I DO:
Edxcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English
AQA Combined Science (Foundation)
AQA Spanish (Higher)
AQA Economics
AQA History
Edxcel Computer Science

For science, I am currently on the foundation paper but I've spoken to teachers at my school and I've been told if I can get a 5-5, I'll be able to do higher for my actual exams since I'm a fast track student.

MY GOALS FOR MOCKS:
English Lang - 7/8
English Lit - 7/8
Science - 5-5
Spanish - 7
Economics - 6
History - 7
Comp Science - 6/7

These are my goals for my mock results and hopefully I can hit all or if not, most of these. I've got my English paper 1s, both econ papers, science paper 1s and Spanish writing paper this end of the term and the rest of my exams are after the Christmas holidays.

MY GOALS FOR GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Lang - 8
English Lit - 8/9
Science - 7-7/7-8
Spanish - 7
Economics - 7
History - 8
Computer Science - 7

Lets all pray I do good because I actually want to get these grades so bad so I can get into a good sixth form! But with revision, I guess everything is possible😭

So if anyone has solid, really good revision techniques/websites/revision methods for these subjects, please feel free to reply to this post with your suggestions!

started - 07/12/23

Welcome to Grow Your Grades! Hopefully it'll really help you to stay motivated and on track :smile: Looking forward to following your journey :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Pwca
Welcome to Grow Your Grades! Hopefully it'll really help you to stay motivated and on track :smile: Looking forward to following your journey :smile:

Thank you!!
A little update,
I've started my mocks this thursday!
I did English Lang Paper 1 first on that day, which went surprisingly good. Esp Part A, Part B was a a bit😬 but then again creative writing is just not my thing. Then I had spanish writing, which once again went really good. I finished the 32 mark exceeding the word count which was really good! And overall, I did everything to the best of my abilities.
Then on Friday, in the morning I had English Lit Paper 1. The essay on Macbeth was about 'temptation' and for ACC is was on 'social responsibility'. I completed both essays with everything I could, but I'm a bit worried about the quality right now bc I don't think I'll be getting over a level 5. I had an hour and a half inbetween to revise for econ paper 1 (micro) and I used my lessons to go through topics I was unclear/weak at. The actually exam was as a whole not THAT bad, a few questions threw me off but nonetheless everything was answered accordingly to the best of my abilities.
I've got bio paper 1 and on screen coding for comp science. On tuesday it's just chem and then for my final day I have econ paper 2 (macro) and physics.
Wish me luck!
SO...
I totally forgot about this thread💀
Anyways, I had a random remembrance of this gyg thread that I made because I was thinking about results day on thursday. And then it dawned to me... OMG I NEED TO CHECK HOW MANY OF MY TARGETS I'VE ACHIEVED!!
I am back on here for this reason, and I'm pleased to say I'm on the right tracks in terms of what I wanted and what I think I got based on my raw marks, so yeah that's always nice😁
I'll be back here on Thursday to update my original post to check/cross my mocks target grades I set for myself and we'll see how it goes from there😋
Hope everyone had a lovely day! <3
Alsooo I've been moved to higher for science woohoo!!🥳🥳
Alsooo I've been moved to higher for science woohoo!!🥳🥳

Congrats!
Original post by Jam12345
Congrats!

tysm🥰
Reply 8
You had a GYG and I didn’t know about it?!?!

Assembling bookclub-GYG members @Tatakae L @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor @kayleigh_t.27
Reply 9
Original post by study23!

Assembling bookclub-GYG members @Tatakae L @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor @kayleigh_t.27

omds neither did I. babe WHY DIDNT YOU TELL MEE. dw tho im all here for you x

🤯🤯

Stop I just got that audio in my head that's like "ASSEMBLE" and then that electronic spawning sound... I hope you know what I'm on about lmaoo

౨ৎTHE SUBJECTS I DO:
Edxcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English
AQA Combined Science (Higher)
AQA Spanish (Higher)
AQA Economics
AQA History
Edxcel Computer Science

For science, I am currently on the foundation paper but I've spoken to teachers at my school and I've been told if I can get a 5-5, I'll be able to do higher for my actual exams since I'm a fast track student. (update‼: doing higherr now besties😝)

CURRENT GRADES (not very happy with these😓):
Maths - 6
English Lang - 6
English Lit - 7
Science - 5-5
Spanish - 5
Economics - 4
History - 7
Comp Science - 6

MY GOALS FOR MOCKS (updating my scores 15 feb!!🙂 ):
English Lang - 7/8
English Lit - 7/8
Science - 5-5
Spanish - 7
Economics - 6
History - 7
Comp Science - 6/7

MY GOALS FOR GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Lang - 8
English Lit - 8/9
Science - 7-7/7-8
Spanish - 7
Economics - 7
History - 8
Computer Science - 7

My gal hopped on gyg and didn't tell anyone about it 😭 IM HERE NOW THOUGH SO HI
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
My gal hopped on gyg and didn't tell anyone about it 😭 IM HERE NOW THOUGH SO HI

ikrr, how didnt she inform us, but tbf we have nearly all joined her now so we shall be stalking her journey
Original post by Tatakae L
ikrr, how didnt she inform us, but tbf we have nearly all joined her now so we shall be stalking her journey

It's like those friends who you know literally nothing about and then one day they pop up and are like "yeah I've been married for 10 years, I have 6 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1mil followers and 5 houses" and you're like YOU WHAT?? I kid you not, I only found out the other day that this guy I've known since primary school has 4 siblings! @heartz4moushi is probably a friend like that😂 In the best way ofc haha
It's like those friends who you know literally nothing about and then one day they pop up and are like "yeah I've been married for 10 years, I have 6 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1mil followers and 5 houses" and you're like YOU WHAT?? I kid you not, I only found out the other day that this guy I've known since primary school has 4 siblings! @heartz4moushi is probably a friend like that😂 In the best way ofc haha

Honest I am one of those people that spill everthing about myself straight away so then I dont have nothing else too add to the freindship and they can decide if I am interesting enough😭. But Its funny ahving freinds that fandomly tell you stuff after years of knowing them too.
Also from the guy from primary should have told u sooner tbf 😭😭. But tbh, a guy I know from primary school told me last year that he wasnt the youngest and he had 3 younger syblings and the older ones ofc.💀💀. I was so shoked.
We love you regardless @heartz4moushi babe xx
@study23! @kayleigh_t.27 @Tatakae L @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor GUYSSS I JUST FORGOT OKK😭😭 my last activity until yesterday on this thread was two months ago💀💀
Anyways updating my mock results!

i definitely am this person😭💀
For everyone who is interested, I have updated my mocks results and I'm not very happy but I've met most of my self-given targets so there's a positive thing. A few things I want to say:
I was robbed in some subjects I'm telling you😂.
I was originally meant to get an 8 in history because 103-105 mark is always an 8 (well most of the time😅 or it was last year and i sat last years papers) and I got 112 but was given a 7. Now my teacher did explain at parent's evening that he made the grade boundaries so that it kind of fits the 'worst-case' scenario that could ever happen and I would've secured a strong/high 7 then like I did now. I'm a bit vexed but at the same time it's encouraging and hopeful because it means I can for sure (given that i try hard enough ofc) get a hold of the 8 in my actual exam. My teacher was also being so nice and he apologised because he couldn't give me the 8 and said I deserved it out of everyone in my class because I've been his best student consistently since yr9. how sweet😥.
Secondly, english!! Ughh, i was soo frustrated with this. Because I was meant to get a 9 (lang) and 8 (lit) if they had used last year's grade boundaries. But my teacher picked out the harshest grade boundaries out there right now which is the 2019 ones. Once again due to the fact that they wanted to use the worst case scenario because we never know what's gonna happen this year in june/july and also to give some of us a reality check. It's annoying but good at the same time because it drives me further to get even better now. My teacher said I'm in a super good position right now given all the circumstances so I'm content with it! But imagine how good that 8 and 9 would've looked on my report card😩
Also I was 10 marks off an 8 in spanish, 10 marks of a 7 in maths, and also 4 marks off 7 in computer science, and I purely blame myself for lack of effective revision as I know if I tried just a bit harder I would've gotten these grades😥 the fault is mine and now I know what I need to focus on. What's really baffling as well is that, the 2023 exam is sat for my computer science mock was the hardest exam there ever has been for this subject and you're telling me I got all the hard stuff right but I'm making silly mistakes on the basics?? crazyyy😭
but anyways that's all the update for today😝
@study23! @kayleigh_t.27 @Tatakae L @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor GUYSSS I JUST FORGOT OKK😭😭 my last activity until yesterday on this thread was two months ago💀💀
Anyways updating my mock results!

well then babe, now you have a audience and a half so keep us updated will ya xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending