The Student Room Group

Year 10 work experience

Hi, I'm I'm year 10 now at the age of 15 and doing work experience in June 2024, does anyone have ideas of possible work experience placements in South East Essex? Thank you!!
Reply 1
im also in y10 and my work experience is also around june. tbf i wanna help you but i was going to do my WE placements at a random school or sm wif my friends. i didnt think WE was anything serious, i was going to have a laugh at it. am i supposed to be worried or sm😭😭.
Original post by shaimaa.09
im also in y10 and my work experience is also around june. tbf i wanna help you but i was going to do my WE placements at a random school or sm wif my friends. i didnt think WE was anything serious, i was going to have a laugh at it. am i supposed to be worried or sm😭😭.

I didn't even think it was serious until a couple days ago when we got told that we have to pay???? For WE????? But it's still compulsory... and idk what to do for it
Reply 3
Original post by jasminelouise29
I didn't even think it was serious until a couple days ago when we got told that we have to pay???? For WE????? But it's still compulsory... and idk what to do for it

you have to pay??? wth im so lost, why do u have to pay?? im prettu sure my school its for free
but wait do u go to a public school or a private school because i think thats why its different but idk maybe its different around parts of london
As this is posted in the vet med forum, I assume you are looking for work experience placements in the animal sector for your future application to vet/vet nursing schools rather than specifically for the random forced week placements some schools do in year 10?

If so, it will be a bit harder to find places which take under 16s due to insurance reasons but I think stables would be a good shout as they often have young volunteers and usually love an extra pair of hands even if you have no prior experience, and you could also do it every weekend/evenings as opposed to week block placements if that suits you better. I would look at riding schools, RDAs and horse rescues in your area as they'd probably be most accommodating (simple google search would do) but if that fails you could also ask around some livery yards - calling or finding a phone number/social media to text might be better than emailing as the horsey people I know ignore their emails lol. Petting zoos may also be an option to look into. If you can do a placement around Spring time (February half term or Easter holidays) then lambing would be a very good experience and you don't have to be close to any farms as a lot of farmers offer free accommodation and meals, the National Sheep Association website will have adverts from farmers and you can find one which suits you but it will open in November I believe. You can also look into asking vet clinics, kennels, catteries, rescues, dog groomers etc but I reckon they're more likely to want over 16s, but at least you can ask their minimum age, if they even take work experience students and perhaps book in advance - vet clinics can get quite booked up even up to a year or two in advance during holidays so it may not be a bad idea to book in now. Again calling will yield better results than just emailing as emails are very easily lost/forgotten/ignored, at least with a phone call you can quickly get your answers within a few minutes and it also shows a bit more initiative - having a little 'CV' to be prepared to send is good too, at your stage obviously just your school, hobbies, basic skills e.g. communication and maybe anything you've done to help the school (e.g. guiding on open evenings, prefecting?) would do. Also bear in mind some unis ask for work experience to be completed in a certain time frame, usually within the 3 years before the application deadline (so October 15th whatever year you will be applying presumably in Year 13) but some (like RVC) ask for it to be within 18 months to be considered towards the application requirements. That's not to say don't do any now, getting experience, contacts and an idea of the career early is never a bad idea, but just bear in mind to perhaps book more placements for year 11 and 12 too. Remember to keep a work experience diary with all the contacts, dates, hours and what you did/saw and gather references at the end of the placement so you have them ready in case the unis ask for it when you come to apply :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by jasminelouise29

I didn't pay for work experience, although attending a state school might factor towards that...
You also don't need to find the perfect work experience, just something related to what you might want to do in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending