The Student Room Group

CPS Pupillage/Legal Trainee Scheme 2024 (2025 Start)

Scroll to see replies

Hey all, so yes you only really find out if you have got a high enough score on the Civil Service test if you are invited to the Video Interview. So it is a bit of a waiting game I’m afraid. But if you get through to Video then that should be the last you see of those test results overall. (The final criteria is based on the Assessment and Interview.)

Final result comes through on or around 5 May. The idea is the CPS are competing with other pupillage providers so you will find out around then. I did. For solicitors I imagine it is the same. 🙂

Yep, got to shell out all that cash I’m afraid. It’s an expensive and closed route to become a lawyer…
Original post by IHatePaperSifts
Hey all, so yes you only really find out if you have got a high enough score on the Civil Service test if you are invited to the Video Interview. So it is a bit of a waiting game I’m afraid. But if you get through to Video then that should be the last you see of those test results overall. (The final criteria is based on the Assessment and Interview.)

Final result comes through on or around 5 May. The idea is the CPS are competing with other pupillage providers so you will find out around then. I did. For solicitors I imagine it is the same. 🙂

Yep, got to shell out all that cash I’m afraid. It’s an expensive and closed route to become a lawyer…

I have applied previously but every time cannot get past the one way video 'timed and three question interview' stage so any advice would be greatly appreciate. By the way well done on securing the offer/position
They ask legal questions in the interview?

I
Is anyone else having issues with accessing the tests ?
Original post by MikeyMoo123
Is anyone else having issues with accessing the tests ?

I did mine okay at the back end of last week. Is it giving you a message at all?
I did awful in mine
Original post by CJStevens
I did mine okay at the back end of last week. Is it giving you a message at all?

Thank you. Just managed to get through to the tests
Original post by Sean Owain
I did awful in mine

The tests certainly felt a little trickier than I was expecting!

I think that might be something to do with the adaptability of the test though, hence it shouldn’t really feel easy at any point
(edited 3 months ago)
The tests certainly felt a little trickier than I was expecting!

I think that might be something to do with the adaptability of the test though, hence it shouldn’t really feel easy at any point

I met the minimum requirement however I am just wondering whether I should proceed. With the potential volume of applicants, it's likely they will increase the mimum requirement and sift out some applicants
I met the minimum requirement however I am just wondering whether I should proceed. With the potential volume of applicants, it's likely they will increase the mimum requirement and sift out some applicants

What scores did you get? (Absolutely no pressure to answer!)

You might as well continue! It’s only a CV now. Worst case scenario is you don’t get an interview, but you definitely won’t get one if you don’t finish the app…
Original post by littlelegsldn
I have applied previously but every time cannot get past the one way video 'timed and three question interview' stage so any advice would be greatly appreciate. By the way well done on securing the offer/position

Yeah this is where I got stuck too. The final interview is easy once you get through that. (I joke!)

Best thing I can say is practice, practice, practice your standard answers. Your ‘why cps’, ‘why barrister’, ‘why not self-employed’, ‘why criminal law’. Practice in the shower, in the car, whilst sleeping. Everywhere!

Time them. Produce answers for 1 minute 30.

Finally practice on your phone and watch yourself. Get people to watch you on the phone too silently, then judge you.

You need to totally understand why you want to apply (public service!) and get that across.
They ask legal questions in the interview?

I

Yes they do, around the topic you are asked to prepare. Prepare it in an essay and public prosecution mindset. Consider both sides and how you would approach it as a fair minded prosecutor.
Reply 32
Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Hi, thank you for the advice!

This is a really stupid question but after the verbal and casework test, is the next step just filling in your qualifications? It mentions using the STAR method which really threw me off because I've applied for paralegal roles at CPS where they asked questions based on the STAR method and never got anywhere with it.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 33
Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Hello,

I appreciate all the information you've provided, especially regarding applying for an extension. After this current application round, I'll need to apply for an extension. I began working for LPC Law last year. I have a quick question: Is the Civil Service casework skills test the same as the SJT?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by afsana00
Hi, thank you for the advice!

This is a really stupid question but after the verbal and casework test, is the next step just filling in your qualifications? It mentions using the STAR method which really threw me off because I've applied for paralegal roles at CPS where they asked questions based on the STAR method and never got anywhere with it.

Thanks for the help!

This threw me off too... how do you STAR your exam results...?

My only thinking is that they have taken a generic application and just altered the questions asked. I'm assuming it would be sufficient just to list qualifications.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Haddy123
Hello,

I appreciate all the information you've provided, especially regarding applying for an extension. After this current application round, I'll need to apply for an extension. I began working for LPC Law last year. I have a quick question: Is the Civil Service casework skills test the same as the SJT?

No it's basically just looking at some data to answer some questions.

Some are to find the mistakes

And it's timed.
Reply 36
No it's basically just looking at some data to answer some questions.

Some are to find the mistakes

And it's timed.

Thank you very much.

Any tips on tailoring my cv?
Original post by Haddy123
Thank you very much.

Any tips on tailoring my cv?

The most important tip I could give is to ensure all the elements of the job description are addressed. And if your experiences go beyond that, then evidence it.

I haven't applied for this role previously. However. I am in a Civil Service role elsewhere.
Reply 38
Thank you for the advice.
Reply 39
This threw me off too... how do you STAR your exam results...?

My only thinking is that they have taken a generic application and just altered the questions asked. I'm assuming it would be sufficient just to list qualifications.

I read through the success profiles they mention and I'm thinking they want us to provide examples during undergraduate and postgraduate degree that reflect the technical skills of a barrister.

Technical skills is defined as "demonstration of specific professional skills, knowledge, or qualifications"

For example, researching law or analysing case law in undergrad and oral skills tasks during the BTC? Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't make sense for them to ask us to list our qualifications and then also ask for an anonymised CV which will do this anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending