The Student Room Group

CPS Pupillage/Legal Trainee Scheme 2024 (2025 Start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LegalLeprechaun
My application was updated at 8:20 am but I’ve heard nothing so far.

that makes me feel better!!! i reckon it'll be tomorrow morning/afternoon at this rate, but this whole process is making me so anxious ahhh
Yep, mine was updated at 8.23am but no confirmation either way. I imagine they are going through every application to see scores before they set their minimum requirement. We’ll probably hear back tomorrow 😬😬
Mine was updated at 5:20 pm after I received an email about reasonable adjustments. It would have been easier if they said the 9th of Feb rather then 8th or 9 th ! 🤞
Original post by MikeyMoo123
Mine was updated at 5:20 pm after I received an email about reasonable adjustments. It would have been easier if they said the 9th of Feb rather then 8th or 9 th ! 🤞

Worth noting that they work past 5, though!

I imagine they've had a lot of applicants, especially because its for TCs and Pupillage, both of which have now been open to applicants from the third-year of their degree (like me).

It would surprise me if we only heard right at the end of the day, but who knows!
Original post by CJStevens
Worth noting that they work past 5, though!

I imagine they've had a lot of applicants, especially because its for TCs and Pupillage, both of which have now been open to applicants from the third-year of their degree (like me).

It would surprise me if we only heard right at the end of the day, but who knows!

It’s going to be a long day tomorrow!!
Is anyone else refreshing this thread more than they are refreshing the application portal.
Original post by maybethislaw
Is anyone else refreshing this thread more than they are refreshing the application portal.

I'm doing both religiously, weaving a bit of diss reading in between hahah
I'm doing both religiously, weaving a bit of diss reading in between hahah

This is torture! All the best with the dissertation.

There has been no update on my application and I noticed posts saying their applications were updated yesterday and now I’m worried about that.
Original post by maybethislaw
This is torture! All the best with the dissertation.

There has been no update on my application and I noticed posts saying their applications were updated yesterday and now I’m worried about that.

Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about it; I imagine the initial update comes once your application has first been looked at. Considering someone on this thread only got the update at 5.20pm, it's super likely that they've still got applications and test scores to look over before making their decisions - hence why we haven't heard back just yet :smile:
Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about it; I imagine the initial update comes once your application has first been looked at. Considering someone on this thread only got the update at 5.20pm, it's super likely that they've still got applications and test scores to look over before making their decisions - hence why we haven't heard back just yet :smile:

Thank you 😀.

Any minute now. We will either be relieved or trying again next year!
This might be my own personal hell. I don’t know how more anxious waiting and refreshing I can do. I hope they update it soon ☹️
AT least we hopefully know by the end of today ! I don't think I can do a week of this!!
Waiting anxiously, any useful videos /tips to help with the next stage if we get through?
Original post by IHatePaperSifts
Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Hi thanks for this, very helpful. Are there any online resources you would recommend for the next stage video interview
Maybe they want us to finish work so we can receive the news in the comfort of our homes lol
Just got my email through - have got an interview. If it's any help for benchmarking , I was on the 88 percentile in the first test and 'average' in the second test. Hope you all find out very soon!
(edited 2 months ago)
If it's any help for benchmarking , I got 88% in the first test and 'average' in the second test.

Well done!!

Does this mean the 88th percentile (i.e. better than 88% of candidates)??
Well done!!

Does this mean the 88th percentile (i.e. better than 88% of candidates)??

Thank you! Apologies - 88th percental - will edit post
Just got my email through - have got an interview. If it's any help for benchmarking , I was on the 88 percentile in the first test and 'average' in the second test. Hope you all find out very soon!

Congrats! I’ve just got my interview invitation through also.
Just got my email too! I got an interview.

All the best everyone. Hope we get some video interview tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending