The Student Room Group

CPS Pupillage/Legal Trainee Scheme 2024 (2025 Start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Video interviews are out.
I got my email too and interview!! I hope you all get yours soon too ahhhh
Reply 82
Original post by MikeyMoo123
Just got my email through - have got an interview. If it's any help for benchmarking , I was on the 88 percentile in the first test and 'average' in the second test. Hope you all find out very soon!

How did you find out about this?
Also got an interview! Had to go onto the feedback section of the portal for my scores but for anyone interested/still waiting I got 94th percentile on the first, then 95th with 'above average' for part c on the second.

Time to start prepping!
Well done everyone !!
Original post by Niffyjay
How did you find out about this?

There is feedback on the application portal.
Out of curiosity, I'm interested to see what the split is between us all for TCs and Pupillage. Which did you all apply for?
Reply 87
Original post by CJStevens
Out of curiosity, I'm interested to see what the split is between us all for TCs and Pupillage. Which did you all apply for?

I applied for training contract.
For those of you with interviews, does it say anything new on the portal or is it just in the email?
i got 63 for the first one and 77 for the second and got an interview
Original post by genericstu
For those of you with interviews, does it say anything new on the portal or is it just in the email?

My civil service portal has not been updated. I received confirmation via email only.
Original post by CJStevens

It was a tough choice, but I went for TC in the end.
Original post by LegalLeprechaun
My civil service portal has not been updated. I received confirmation via email only.

Yeah same! I only got the two emails about the interviews. I’m also applying for the TC route. I wish they had more information on the sort of questions they’ll ask but I’m assuming it’ll be stuff like ‘why cos’ or ‘why prosecution’ etc
Reply 93
Thank you for the first person who gave some really good advice on the recruitment process. Congratulations to everyone who have got to the pre recorded interview stage!

Has anyone done an interview like this before? I haven’t and I’m pretty nervous, I’ve read some previous years threads and they’ve said the format isn’t the clearest, as in some people didn’t know it was recording for like 10 seconds 🥲😂
Original post by IHatePaperSifts
Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Hey, this is great info!!

I've just been invited to the video interview stage. How long was it between completing the video interview and finding out whether you got to the next stage?

I'm so excited for the opportunity. This is my dream job!

Congratulations to you. It's no easy feat.

Kelly
Reply 95
Original post by genericstu

I've only received confirmation by email. The portal still says application received for me
Original post by afsana00
I've only received confirmation by email. The portal still says application received for me

Hey congrats,
Have you applied for the TC or pupillage?
I'm going for TC.
Never done a video interview like this before. I'm nervous and excited all the same as this is my dream Job.
Very cool to find a thread with other people in the same boat!!

I've already got 3 separate assessments to do for my LPC next week so the video interview has been added to the list, gonna be a mad one.

Good luck for yours!
Reply 97
Original post by Kellybear83
Hey congrats,
Have you applied for the TC or pupillage?
I'm going for TC.
Never done a video interview like this before. I'm nervous and excited all the same as this is my dream Job.
Very cool to find a thread with other people in the same boat!!

I've already got 3 separate assessments to do for my LPC next week so the video interview has been added to the list, gonna be a mad one.

Good luck for yours!

Hi, I applied for pupillage.

I've had video interviews before and without having someone watching you live it can be a little weird but practice the stock answers repeatedly as the original person said.

I would suggest practicing for the video interview this weekend and get it out the way on Monday asap so that you can do the LPC assessments the rest of the week.

Congratulations and good luck to you too!
Original post by Niffyjay
Hello guy, i need an urgent response to the question regarding filling the application form for trainee solicitor.
There were two aspect that require 250 words each, what do we need to write there? I did not get the question.
My understanding is that i would discuss how i met the behaviour that the CPS would access. i.e. discuss "delivering at a pace and making effective decisions" in the first 250 words and then discuss "seeing the big picture, communicating and influencing" in the remaining 250 words. Is this what you guys are doing. I would like to hear from people who have qualified to do the video interview stage.
your quick response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, sorry for not seeing this earlier. To be totally honest I never had this so without seeing it, I can’t help much. Sorry! But normally STAR and reading the actual behaviour list at the right EO level is crucial.
Original post by fluffystuff
Hi thanks for this, very helpful. Are there any online resources you would recommend for the next stage video interview

Yes, best thing I can recommend is Taz Aldeek’s YouTube video on the Legal Trainee Scheme. It changed my life. Very useful tips there!

Here is a link - it seems to have changed to a short since I watched it but still useful. https://youtu.be/BkpTO1qSvfg?feature=shared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending