The Student Room Group

I hate sixth form college and I’m not sure what to do

Literally feel like I’ve made the worst choice possible. I’m a pretty decent student and got good GCSES (7.3 grade average), and I really prefer to work in a fast paced environment with a heavy focus on exams rather than the day to day stuff.

For some reason I chose to go to a college to do my a levels and hate it. It’s so slow and relaxed and feels like everything comes before our actual a levels and a level exams. Teachers don’t teach to the specifications, go off tangents, make us do pointless work and progress is only checked once every 8 weeks or so.

I’m so tired of it already, but everywhere local to me seems to be full. I’m on a waiting list for Brampton but don’t really see that moving much any time soon. I just want to go to college and actually learn, not spend 2 hours of my day on breaks, 1/2 hours in study and 2/3 hours doing meaningless slow class work.

I feel totally hopeless and demotivated. I really don’t want to wait again until next year, and think taking a gap year wouldn’t do me any good. I just don’t know what to do. It’s nothing the college can change, it’s just me as a student. I’m not suited for this environment. Any advice?
Reply 1
Have you tried actually asking local schools yourself Brampton is going to be in such high demand.How about ones you could travel to.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Have you tried actually asking local schools yourself Brampton is going to be in such high demand.How about ones you could travel to.

The local schools are all the same type of school that I’m at. None of them have the faster pace unfortunately. Do u think it’s worth asking grammars if you didn’t go to a grammar school?
Reply 3
Original post by Fosiciwidiw
The local schools are all the same type of school that I’m at. None of them have the faster pace unfortunately. Do u think it’s worth asking grammars if you didn’t go to a grammar school?

Well you have nothing to lose by asking.
Reply 4
Original post by Fosiciwidiw

You might do better in a school environment than a college though.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
Well you have nothing to lose by asking.

That’s a fair point , I’ll have an ask around
Reply 6
In the meantime work out an approach that numbs you to the annoying aspects and ups your game academically. If you don't do the latter you risk falling behind. I get that you want a solution, but perhaps you also need to put a plaster on things now. Or tomorrow when you go in.

Quick Reply

Latest