The Student Room Group

Cat Vs dog

So I am defintely a dog person but my bestie loves cats. I’ve since met his cat with his parents and it’s really tame and cute. I’ve always been timid when approaching cats for some reason.
We are now thinking of getting a cat.

What do I need to know:
Or take into consideration especially if I am new to cats entirely
Reply 1
Whether you want an indoor cat or you will allow them outside. It’s something dog owners never really need to think about but cats are insanely independent animals and need to be kept stimulated in their own ways. All my cats have always been allowed outside on their own accord via a cat flap, they are also both spayed and up to date with vaccines. They generally don’t leave our garden but we try not to allow them out the front where the road is particularly my youngest as she has about 2 brain cells which collide once a week if we are lucky! Cat pet insurance also tends to be cheaper than that of a dogs.
Generally dogs are very human oriented so won’t mind cuddles whenever but cats it is generally on their terms so cuddles are not always a given aha
Reply 2
I like both animals very much!

Original post by success4life
So I am defintely a dog person but my bestie loves cats. I’ve since met his cat with his parents and it’s really tame and cute. I’ve always been timid when approaching cats for some reason.

What do I need to know:
Reply 3
Absolutely! I was once in a similar situation a dedicated dog lover considering a cat. When my friend's cat won me over, I took the leap. It's important to learn about the specific breed's characteristics and ensure your home is cat-friendly. Patience is key, as cats have their own pace for warming up. I found that creating a cozy space, offering treats, and engaging with interactive toys helped build trust. Remember, cats bring a unique charm to your life, and with time and understanding, you'll develop a beautiful bond.
Reply 4
Original post by success4life

What do I need to know:

You are lucky that this cat was cute, usually not all cats like to be coddle and stroked. What can I say about myself, I am 100% a dog lover
I'd deffo recommend a cat.
Reply 6
Original post by Pheable
I like both animals very much!
Both for me too! :smile:
Cats and dogs are both popular pets, but they have different personalities and characteristics. Cats are often more independent, while dogs are more social and obedient. Cats are generally lower maintenance, but dogs require more exercise and attention. Ultimately, the choice between a cat and a dog depends on your lifestyle and personal preferences.

Quick Reply

Latest