The Student Room Group

What a levels should I choose

I do both English, maths, combined science, ICT, geography and history for gcse. I do not know what I want to do in the future so I am wondering which a levels to choose so I can keep my opportunities open
If you want to maximise options take: maths, a science and an essay subject (I.e economics, history, English lit)
Original post by nibovim760
I do both English, maths, combined science, ICT, geography and history for gcse. I do not know what I want to do in the future so I am wondering which a levels to choose so I can keep my opportunities open

which of thse subjects do you excel in and enjoy? I would recommend choosing those subjects.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nibovim760

If you’re unsure, it would be useful to take at least 2 facilitating subjects (i.e the sciences, English, history etc). This will be beneficial for uni later on as they’re the subjects most highly regarded; the skills gained from them will be useful for whatever you go on to do.

However, it’s still important to do things you enjoy! Higher education is all about being passionate about your subjects, so using that as a guide is helpful too.
Original post by Belle H
If you’re unsure, it would be useful to take at least 2 facilitating subjects (i.e the sciences, English, history etc). This will be beneficial for uni later on as they’re the subjects most highly regarded; the skills gained from them will be useful for whatever you go on to do.

However, it’s still important to do things you enjoy! Higher education is all about being passionate about your subjects, so using that as a guide is helpful too.

Totally agree, very good advice.
Reply 5
Some sensible advice above about a) taking subjects you enjoy studying, and b) making sure you take a range of different subjects. But - you also need to start thinking about what you do want to do with these A levels to make sure you are not taking totally inappropriate subjects or missing something vital.

Good careers site with 100s of job/careers descriptions - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
List of degrees from just one Uni - look at any that sound interesting, or that you don't know what the subject is about - Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex

Quick Reply

Latest