The Student Room Group

grade 4 in maths gcse for uni

last year, i got 5 A*, 1 A and 2 C's in my gcses, one of them being maths. will this hinder my chances of getting into top unis such as kcl, durham etc? im not really interested in retaking maths considering i want to focus on my AS levels atm. (i want to do either law , politics, or philosophy at uni) - im just confused as some uni websites dont specify a gcse grade they want.
Original post by sophiataime
last year, i got 5 A*, 1 A and 2 C's in my gcses, one of them being maths. will this hinder my chances of getting into top unis such as kcl, durham etc? im not really interested in retaking maths considering i want to focus on my AS levels atm. (i want to do either law , politics, or philosophy at uni) - im just confused as some uni websites dont specify a gcse grade they want.

If a university doesn't specify a required GCSE grade for Maths (either on the course-specific page or on a "general entry requirements" page) then they have no such requirement.

KCL, for example, have no GCSE Maths requirement for the courses you have mentioned or generally.
Reply 2

I didn't get as high as you and I got an offer from Durham and kings for law, I was still immature in secondary and didn't start applying myself until I matured and I decided I wanted to do law and I worked incredibly hard for the As I needed for uni. (work experience, LNAT and A levels > GCSEs)

I also received a grade 4 in Maths GCSE (with similar results to yours) and received offers for law, law with politics, and law and international relations from the likes of Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham, Warwick and KCL. In fact, I know of someone who is yet to pass it, and they've received law offers from Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster

It shouldn't be a massive hindrance to your application, but some universities (especially for law) do ask for a grade 6, namely UCL and LSE. :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest