The Student Room Group

My Gcse Game changer

Hi,
I didn't study at all in year 10 with mostly 5,6,7s and have decided to change that. My focus need to be on maths and physics. Can anyone guide me on this?
This is my journey to hopefully all 9s and 8s!
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4
in the 75 days I have left I'm going to study 8hrs daily. this means on weekdays
wake up at 5 and go to school at 8:40
come back home at 3:30 and start at 4:00 till 11 then sleep.
You must be thinking, this is impossible, but after coming to a realisation I need maths and physics for my future. In need a rigourous timetable to do well. My mock grades are considering I studied for multiple subject the days before, I want to honestly do well now so I can sleep during GCSE exams, I was so stressed and had to drink a lot of coffee to keep me awake. Join my journey, which starts this second. HOPEFULLY. how's your GCSE journey?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
I didn't study at all in year 10 with mostly 5,6,7s and have decided to change that. My focus need to be on maths and physics. Can anyone guide me on this?
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4
in the 75 days I have left I'm going to study 8hrs daily. this means on weekdays
You must be thinking, this is impossible, but after coming to a realisation I need maths and physics for my future. In need a rigourous timetable to do well. My mock grades are considering I studied for multiple subject the days before, I want to honestly do well now so I can sleep during GCSE exams, I was so stressed and had to drink a lot of coffee to keep me awake. Join my journey, which starts this second. HOPEFULLY. how's your GCSE journey?

Hi! I hope your revision goes well, and hopefully, you'll achieve numerous 9s!
Here's my experience from sciences and maths:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

Mainly, when I'm doing physics, I find doing loads of past papers really helps (as there are multiple questions which borrow the same concept but use different numerals/literacy during exams).

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Goodluck!
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

Mainly, when I'm doing physics, I find doing loads of past papers really helps (as there are multiple questions which borrow the same concept but use different numerals/literacy during exams).

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Goodluck!

If I could go back in time, I wouldn’t over complicate how I studied for my GCSEs. For science, I definitely recommend you to invest in ‘MYGCSESCIENCE’ they cover a range of exam boards, I didn’t even use it well and still got 7s. I got 9/8 in English lang and lit.

TBH I didn’t really try for lit but I worked hard for lang. watch mr bruff for a basic understanding in the lang questions, then for creative writing use mr salles. Lastly, for structure use PRETZEL watch mreverythingenglish for this. Without this structure I wouldn’t have got a 9. After you’ve done this attempt a paper and do it alongside the lady in firstratetutors. I didn’t pay for this and just used the free YouTube videos and did a paper live along with her. Her writing is amazing and very detailed.

I also got a 9 for RS . We did edexcel and all I used was the textbook to make flashcards. If you memorise a bunch of quotes and base your arguments off that you’ll be fine.

Let me know if you need anymore tips for RS/ English
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

Honestly I think your revision schedule sounds a bit unhealthy but just make sure you have plenty of breaks and make time for yourself xx
For sciences I like to use a mixture of seneca, cognito and handwritten notes (this can take some time but i find it helps me). I can't give specific advice on physics as I'm not very good at it either sorryyyy
For maths it is just practice - target the topics you need to work on and use corbett maths, mathsgenie, mathswatch etc to practice then do past papers
I'll tag some people who might be able to help you - @milktee @Tatakae L @study23! @Trickia @curly_fries

Good luck with your GCSE journey xx I'll be following you and rooting for you - you can do this🩶. You can follow my journey too on my GYG https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398188 )everyone I linked also have amazing GYGs as well
Reply 4
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

I agree with what the others have said - 8 hours a day is excessive! I think I studied 8 hours in a day two times for GCSEs, and that was when I was on my study break the days before I had a week with 8 exams!

It’s good that you know what to focus on but I’d bring it down - maybe 2 hrs revision a day, about 3-4 on the weekend days. Then Easter holidays you can try and raise it to 4 hours daily if you really want to do a lot. Buy you will get burnt out if you try 8 hours per day. I got all A*s in my exams (had 22 exams summer y11, not saying this to brag but to prove you don’t need to do as much as you plan right now). Remember to take breaks and don’t overwork your work. Focus on the parts you’re weakest at.

Also recall and past papers most efficient way to revise, past papers ESPECIALLY with phys and maths. With re maybe try and do like 15 mins review of content daily for it as that seems to be to weakest atm.
Reply 5
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

Hi and welcome to gyg. Just a quick one because I am here to support your journey and watch you grow, but 8hrs a day is exsassive and you dont want to burn your self out with too much revision. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and feel free to check out my gyg too (even though its terrible). Tatakae L's GYG Journey - The Student Room.

Wish you all the best <3
Reply 6
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

another gcse gyg 💪 welcomeee, and for starters, please don't revise 8 hours 😭😭🙏 yes i know it may be a decent amount of time to you, but trust me when you start implementing it, you're genuinely going to get burnt out, especially if you're planning to do it until gcses.
like others said, my recommendation is to do max 3 hours on school days, like from 7-10 for example, and then probably like 5 hours on weekends. it may seem insufficient to you, but it's more than enough, especially if you're starting from now and are going to constantly revise (hopefully) everyday. the good thing is that you're initiating your revision now itself, since it'll significantly reduce your stress, whereas lots of ppl leave it to last minute and start cramming and get overwhelmed
wishing you the best of luck in these last 80 days, i'll be sure to follow along your journey 🤍
Reply 7
Original post by milktee
another gcse gyg 💪 welcomeee, and for starters, please don't revise 8 hours 😭😭🙏 yes i know it may be a decent amount of time to you, but trust me when you start implementing it, you're genuinely going to get burnt out, especially if you're planning to do it until gcses.
like others said, my recommendation is to do max 3 hours on school days, like from 7-10 for example, and then probably like 5 hours on weekends. it may seem insufficient to you, but it's more than enough, especially if you're starting from now and are going to constantly revise (hopefully) everyday. the good thing is that you're initiating your revision now itself, since it'll significantly reduce your stress, whereas lots of ppl leave it to last minute and start cramming and get overwhelmed
wishing you the best of luck in these last 80 days, i'll be sure to follow along your journey 🤍

Thank you! im trying to do more revision now so I can stress less later but THANKIES <3
Reply 8
Original post by Hneudkejwuad

Goodluck!

If I could go back in time, I wouldn’t over complicate how I studied for my GCSEs. For science, I definitely recommend you to invest in ‘MYGCSESCIENCE’ they cover a range of exam boards, I didn’t even use it well and still got 7s. I got 9/8 in English lang and lit.

TBH I didn’t really try for lit but I worked hard for lang. watch mr bruff for a basic understanding in the lang questions, then for creative writing use mr salles. Lastly, for structure use PRETZEL watch mreverythingenglish for this. Without this structure I wouldn’t have got a 9. After you’ve done this attempt a paper and do it alongside the lady in firstratetutors. I didn’t pay for this and just used the free YouTube videos and did a paper live along with her. Her writing is amazing and very detailed.

I also got a 9 for RS . We did edexcel and all I used was the textbook to make flashcards. If you memorise a bunch of quotes and base your arguments off that you’ll be fine.

Let me know if you need anymore tips for RS/ English
thank you this will be really helpful! as well as how did you revise for eng lit? I find writing notes useless as the pmt resources already sum it up better than me, how should I memorise those? thank you <3
Reply 9
on the 19/02/24
I was planning on doing chem notes, maths, and French but only did them notes. so today ill do maths,frnech,physics notes and past papers but im worried I don't know have enough time, are notes important?
Reply 10
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4

In yr 11 here, but Maths and Physics are my best subjects so I hope this helps!

Maths:

Make sure you understand all of the concepts - have a checklist and a methods book so you know how to tackle all types of questions.
For example: Have a page on completing the square - How you do it, then an example with a coefficient higher than 1 , then with a negative coefficient and then one example showing how to get the turning point from completing the square. Use CorbettMaths if you

Then Practise! I recommend DrFrost for this - they have videos for most questions if you get stuck. Do this very regularly - (I haven't started yet but I am planning to...) do like 30 minutes on every weekday.

Then practise from past papers because you need to be able to figure out how to answer the question and what method to use!

Physics:

You need to understand the concepts again! CGP guide is your best bet , PMT have some really good notes. Make sure you understand everything and if you are really struggling to understand something then make it a story so that it is easier to remember (this helped me to understand electricity - not a story per se but imagine it in your head like a little animation and give them motives - the electrons are lazy so they want to find the easiest route but they are also very focused on balance etc.). Also if you understand it mostly but just don't understand why or how - learn exactly whats on the spec , sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is(dark energy+matter in Space Physics).

Know your maths really well - we're getting the equations so you just need to substitute them which is much simpler than trying to memorise all of them. Know how to covert between cm,mm,metres,km etc. and also Kilo,Mega and Giga Joules for example.

Make sure to always include keywords with exam technique. Don't beat around the bush - the mark schemes are much nicer than Biology mark schemes but they are still strict and there'll be words that are needed to get marks. Look at mark schemes - write out answers to questions , write out the correct answer including all the key words. I recommend the CGP flashcards as well. Questions are often repeated just worded slightly differently so even without memorising it , you'll have an idea of what went wrong last time and what you need to include. Even for the CGP flashcards I wrote out all of the answers that I didn't have all the key words on because the writing is good for your memory.

You cannot do this for all of the spec but try and link your understanding of different concepts together.E.g.
In the waves topic I learnt that sound waves are longitudinal so when learning about microphones and speakers in the Emag topic I was able to understand it better.

6 markers are actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Get into the practise of identifiying all of the variables (Independant, Dependant, Control) in any experiment and writing them out like a recipe with numbered steps(usually around 6). Be very specific especially when measuring things ( with what - a balance , a ruler etc.). Always remember to plot a graph at the end of it ( I don't mean draw it - I mean write: "6. Plot a graph of the extension of the spring in cm against the mass of the load in grams")

You might not get explicitly taught this section but the Working scientifically topic is very useful in gaining a few (reasonably easy) extra marks - learn errors , saftey methods etc. One tip our teacher told us was that we shouldn't write human error and always right random error instead. Again a CGP guide, the spec or even BBC bitesize can help with this.

I do AQA for both of these subjects so I don't know if you'll have the same topics but they should be pretty similar and the points are likely to still stand whatever exam board you do!
Edit: I am predicted high 9's in both subjects
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by MeMeMae
Thank you! im trying to do more revision now so I can stress less later but THANKIES <3

yesss that's the mindset, and that's what i've been doing asw, but just make sure you don't stick to 8 hours 😭
ywww 🤍
Reply 12
Original post by iris.08

Maths:

Make sure you understand all of the concepts - have a checklist and a methods book so you know how to tackle all types of questions.
For example: Have a page on completing the square - How you do it, then an example with a coefficient higher than 1 , then with a negative coefficient and then one example showing how to get the turning point from completing the square. Use CorbettMaths if you

Then Practise! I recommend DrFrost for this - they have videos for most questions if you get stuck. Do this very regularly - (I haven't started yet but I am planning to...) do like 30 minutes on every weekday.

Then practise from past papers because you need to be able to figure out how to answer the question and what method to use!

Physics:

You need to understand the concepts again! CGP guide is your best bet , PMT have some really good notes. Make sure you understand everything and if you are really struggling to understand something then make it a story so that it is easier to remember (this helped me to understand electricity - not a story per se but imagine it in your head like a little animation and give them motives - the electrons are lazy so they want to find the easiest route but they are also very focused on balance etc.). Also if you understand it mostly but just don't understand why or how - learn exactly whats on the spec , sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is(dark energy+matter in Space Physics).

Know your maths really well - we're getting the equations so you just need to substitute them which is much simpler than trying to memorise all of them. Know how to covert between cm,mm,metres,km etc. and also Kilo,Mega and Giga Joules for example.

Make sure to always include keywords with exam technique. Don't beat around the bush - the mark schemes are much nicer than Biology mark schemes but they are still strict and there'll be words that are needed to get marks. Look at mark schemes - write out answers to questions , write out the correct answer including all the key words. I recommend the CGP flashcards as well. Questions are often repeated just worded slightly differently so even without memorising it , you'll have an idea of what went wrong last time and what you need to include. Even for the CGP flashcards I wrote out all of the answers that I didn't have all the key words on because the writing is good for your memory.

You cannot do this for all of the spec but try and link your understanding of different concepts together.E.g.
In the waves topic I learnt that sound waves are longitudinal so when learning about microphones and speakers in the Emag topic I was able to understand it better.

6 markers are actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Get into the practise of identifiying all of the variables (Independant, Dependant, Control) in any experiment and writing them out like a recipe with numbered steps(usually around 6). Be very specific especially when measuring things ( with what - a balance , a ruler etc.). Always remember to plot a graph at the end of it ( I don't mean draw it - I mean write: "6. Plot a graph of the extension of the spring in cm against the mass of the load in grams")

You might not get explicitly taught this section but the Working scientifically topic is very useful in gaining a few (reasonably easy) extra marks - learn errors , saftey methods etc. One tip our teacher told us was that we shouldn't write human error and always right random error instead. Again a CGP guide, the spec or even BBC bitesize can help with this.

I do AQA for both of these subjects so I don't know if you'll have the same topics but they should be pretty similar and the points are likely to still stand whatever exam board you do!

thank you!!!! SM
Reply 13
Original post by MeMeMae
thank you!!!! SM

You're welcome 🙂 - do you have a set timetable that you are trying to follow to cover all of your topics? I'm not very good at organising myself I always end up cramming :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by iris.08
You're welcome 🙂 - do you have a set timetable that you are trying to follow to cover all of your topics? I'm not very good at organising myself I always end up cramming :frown:

My tution center has a qualified mentor to help me manage my time (i can’t strictly follow it, im too distracted) but on average right now its 4 hrs per day two subjects, after school put the difficult subject which will take more time after the easy one. So each day do one difficult and one easy subject, take fridays off. On the weekend they expect me to do eight hours- dw i can barely do 2, it easier to finish earlier in the morning. For all the other stuff, id recommend

make a to do list of all the work to be done before the exams.

Make a rough timetable, slot in the work from the to do list.
i think i find doing work generally challenging but this might help you do your work!!

Reply 15
Original post by iris.08

Maths:

Physics:

omg i know this wasn't directed towards me but THANK YOU SO MUCH, that was acc really helpful 🤍
Original post by MeMeMae
Hi,
my current predicted
eng lang- 7
eng lit- 7
maths-6
bio- 7
chem- 6
phy- 6
art- 8
French- 6
history- 7
re- 4
french:

consistent grammar practice

consistent translation practice

memrise

quizlet

practice speaking with friends

maths:

physics and maths tutor

cognito

maths genie

past papers

physics: