The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels

Hello,

I am starting Sixth Form very soon, but I still have a level of uncertainty about my A Level choices. I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths. However, I feel that it narrows my options too much into the STEM career path, especially the Sciences. I am definitely interested in STEM, but I am not 100% sure about it in terms of careers.

Would it be better to open my options a little bit more through choosing a Humanities subject (the only one I would be interested in is History)? I really like History, although I am just worried about my performance in A Levels, especially because A Level History is a huge upgrade from GCSE History. Plus, I would have to write large amounts in a short amount of time during exams.

If choosing a Humanities subject / History, which subject should I swap it with and why?
(edited 8 months ago)
A humanities based A Level is still definitely looked up upon by universities because while they're not stem, it shows your capability of writing essays and maybe even conducting research to an extent. If you really wanted to do history then I guess I would recommend you to swap it with further maths because unless you plan on taking mathematics for uni it's not really 'necessary' (plus you say you enjoy the sciences more). Do you know what university courses you may be interested in applying to/job careers you have looked into? Researching these things a bit earlier will definitely help you choose your subjects.
Original post by tahildacanter
A humanities based A Level is still definitely looked up upon by universities because while they're not stem, it shows your capability of writing essays and maybe even conducting research to an extent. If you really wanted to do history then I guess I would recommend you to swap it with further maths because unless you plan on taking mathematics for uni it's not really 'necessary' (plus you say you enjoy the sciences more). Do you know what university courses you may be interested in applying to/job careers you have looked into? Researching these things a bit earlier will definitely help you choose your subjects.

I picked Further Maths for my A Levels in case I wanted to do Maths / Computer Science at university. Plus, I am not entirely sure if I would be able to deal with 4 A Levels where none of them are Further Maths (because Further Maths slightly complements with Maths).

I wouldn't say that I intensely want to do History, but I like it, it would keep my options open, and, as you mentioed, universities find value in it.

I have looked at university courses, and they all seem to be leaning towards STEM (except History).

I have also looked at job careers, and they seem to be a mix of STEM and business, but I am not entirely sure on the career I want to pursue. I always find fault in every job career I look at :frown:.
Original post by TwisterBlade596
I picked Further Maths for my A Levels in case I wanted to do Maths / Computer Science at university. Plus, I am not entirely sure if I would be able to deal with 4 A Levels where none of them are Further Maths (because Further Maths slightly complements with Maths).

I wouldn't say that I intensely want to do History, but I like it, it would keep my options open, and, as you mentioed, universities find value in it.

I have looked at university courses, and they all seem to be leaning towards STEM (except History).

I have also looked at job careers, and they seem to be a mix of STEM and business, but I am not entirely sure on the career I want to pursue. I always find fault in every job career I look at :frown:.

That's tough I understand the stress of not knowing where you will end up in the future and how the decisions you make before then will impact it. It may be best to look through the specifications of your chosen courses (+ humanities subjects you're interested in) and see if you are capable/interested in the things you might be studying. If you still aren't confident (which might be likely) it could be a good idea to keep with your chosen subjects for now, and if you discover post-A level you regret not taking a humanities subject, there is always the option of self-studying and taking a gap year before uni.

As for job careers this may be cliche advice but it could be of use to you to look through national careers service? Although I'm still not set on a particular career yet, going through the job options did make me realise I want to work in business operations. Best of luck for your future.

(also) I believe most schools let you drop one of 4 a levels after the first year of studying if it's too much of a burden but you'll have to ask your chosen school about that
At Lancaster University, the History course only requires AAB, with no A Levels specified. That means you don't have to take a Humanities subject / History A Level if you think it will be too hard. If you want to do History because you like it, you can drop either Chemistry or Biology since you don't want to drop the other two.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by tahildacanter
That's tough I understand the stress of not knowing where you will end up in the future and how the decisions you make before then will impact it. It may be best to look through the specifications of your chosen courses (+ humanities subjects you're interested in) and see if you are capable/interested in the things you might be studying. If you still aren't confident (which might be likely) it could be a good idea to keep with your chosen subjects for now, and if you discover post-A level you regret not taking a humanities subject, there is always the option of self-studying and taking a gap year before uni.

As for job careers this may be cliche advice but it could be of use to you to look through national careers service? Although I'm still not set on a particular career yet, going through the job options did make me realise I want to work in business operations. Best of luck for your future.

(also) I believe most schools let you drop one of 4 a levels after the first year of studying if it's too much of a burden but you'll have to ask your chosen school about that

Thank you so much!

I will probably keep with the A Level subjects which I have chosen, because, although I enjoy History, it doesn't fit into the career paths I am interested in pursuing (but this could change). Plus, I discovered that some universities don't require any specific A Levels to study a Humanities-based degree such as History, so that's good.

I have looked at the National Careers Service before, but I will make sure to double check to see if there are any careers which particularly stand out to me.

My school allows for an A Level to be dropped in case I am in that situation. :smile:

Thank you again!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
At Lancaster University, the History course only requires AAB, with no A Levels specified. That means you don't have to take a Humanities subject / History A Level if you think it will be too hard. If you want to do History because you like it, you can drop either Chemistry or Biology since you don't want to drop the other two.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Ah OK - this may be convenient for me in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest