The Student Room Group

What A-level subject should I drop?

I do econ, maths, english lit and chem and I am unsure on what a-level subject to drop in year 13. I was contemplating on keeping all of them however, I do not think i would be able handle the work load coming from it.
I want to do econ or maybe maths at uni, and then maybe go into a finance company after uni. I am willing to drop english or chem.
And imperial recently started their economics degree, and I was asking if they would prefere a chem or english alevel as they are a stem uni and i want to go to a russell group.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by aaaaanisah
I do econ, maths, english lit and chem and I am unsure on what a-level subject to drop in year 13. I was contemplating on keeping all of them however, I do not think i would be able handle the work load coming from it.
I want to do econ or maybe maths at uni, and then maybe go into a finance company after uni. I am willing to drop english or chem.
And imperial recently started their economics degree, and I was asking if they would prefere a chem or english alevel as they are a stem uni and i want to go to a russell group.

I would drop the one you are likely to do worst in, to give yourself the best chance of getting the grades you need
Reply 2
chem workload is mad to get a* so take that into mind

Drop the subject you’re enjoying the least

probs drop english. ik you might feel like it gives you depth or saves ur studies from being totally dry or something, but it's actually a lot of work to do rly well in and you can still enjoy literature without taking the exam
altho chem is not rly related to what you want to do, and might be more work and stress than english to get an A* depending on ur abilities
Reply 6
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would drop the one you are likely to do worst in, to give yourself the best chance of getting the grades you need

ahh I was thinking so too, tysm for the response
Reply 7
Original post by examboard
chem workload is mad to get a* so take that into mind

yeah thats what i was thinking, and I'm horrible at like focusing and revision and that. i haven't even started chem bc i don't know where to start
Reply 8
Original post by spectrum84
Drop the subject you’re enjoying the least

mostly chem, bc of the teacher. she teaches in such an odd way with calculations completely different from gcse.
tysm for replying
Reply 9
Original post by steamedclams
probs drop english. ik you might feel like it gives you depth or saves ur studies from being totally dry or something, but it's actually a lot of work to do rly well in and you can still enjoy literature without taking the exam

yeahh fair enough you need like full marks nearly to get an A*. I got an a in my last assessment but the grade boundaries are bizarre tysm for replying.
Reply 10
Original post by steamedclams
altho chem is not rly related to what you want to do, and might be more work and stress than english to get an A* depending on ur abilities

hmm fair enough and it does give me more of a variety. but doesn't chem also have high-grade boundaries? tysm for replying

hmm fair enough and it does give me more of a variety. but doesn't chem also have high-grade boundaries? tysm for replying

Grade boundaries depend on how everyone does in the exam, if most people found it difficult the boundaries will reflect that

Quick Reply

Latest