The Student Room Group

Visiting Unis: Now or will I have time to see them all on Offer Holder Days?

Hi!
I missed all the Open Days for my choices. I'm applying to 3 unis. I booked some time off work this month in which I intended to go and Visit the Unis & their cities, and do a self-guided tour of the campuses.

I just found out about Offer Holder Days. I'm wondering if I should wait out until then to visit the Cities (rather than shelling out several hundred pounds to visit now, then again next year).

On the UCAS website it says that 'If you receive your last decision on or before 16 May 2024, your reply date is 6 June 2024. If you receive your last decision on or before 17 July 2024, your reply date is 24 July 2024.'

...meaning that if my offers take a while to come , I seemingly will only have a few weeks or a few days to go and visit them.

It's important to me that I visit the Uni's before firming any offers.
Will I have time to visit them all on Offer Holder Days?
Are Offer Holders Days held frequently enough that I'm likely to be able to visit them then?

Is it worth paying the extra money to visit them now, just in case I can't visit them later in the year?

Or should I just hang on until around April, and if I don't have any offers then make the decision to go?

Is there any other info I should know, as I only just found out about Offer Holder Days... I'm wondering if there's more that I've missed.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by calummmmm
Hi!
I missed all the Open Days for my choices. I'm applying to 3 unis. I booked some time off work this month in which I intended to go and Visit the Unis & their cities, and do a self-guided tour of the campuses.

I just found out about Offer Holder Days. I'm wondering if I should wait out until then to visit the Cities (rather than shelling out several hundred pounds to visit now, then again next year).

On the UCAS website it says that 'If you receive your last decision on or before 16 May 2024, your reply date is 6 June 2024. If you receive your last decision on or before 17 July 2024, your reply date is 24 July 2024.'

...meaning that if my offers take a while to come , I seemingly will only have a few weeks or a few days to go and visit them.

It's important to me that I visit the Uni's before firming any offers.
Will I have time to visit them all on Offer Holder Days?
Are Offer Holders Days held frequently enough that I'm likely to be able to visit them then?

Is it worth paying the extra money to visit them now, just in case I can't visit them later in the year?

Or should I just hang on until around April, and if I don't have any offers then make the decision to go?

Is there any other info I should know, as I only just found out about Offer Holder Days... I'm wondering if there's more that I've missed.

The dates you have been given are the deadlines for universities to reply. In practice the vast majority of universities apply much sooner. The average wait is 7 weeks and it is the very top universities and competitive courses that take longer.

Offer days are held in Feb/March and if you apply now there is a reasonable chance you will receive any offers/rejections before then. I dont know whether the places you intend applying to will have open days before then so maybe offfer days will be right for you. Most offer days are held on Wednesdays or Saturdays if that helps. My son attended 3 in 1 week over half term years ago.
I’d recommend visiting now if that’s what you had planned.

There’s a possibility that you will also get an invitation for an offer holder day but there’s always a possibility that you won’t be able to attend due to the timing or other factors (illness, train strikes etc etc).

If you have a chance to visit now then visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending