The Student Room Group

Getting a reference to transfer universities

I recently applied to start again from year 1 at different universities and i used a reference from my old sixth form as i emailed the universities asking about it and they all said i could use one from them so i didn’t bother asking any academic staff at my current university for one
However, A got an email from one of the universities asking for a reference from my current university and i have 2 weeks to send it in if not my application would be made unsuccessful
Now I’m slightly worried because I don’t know who to ask for one especially since I do a joint honors so I don’t even have a personal tutor
With that, I don’t know if they’d be able to get it to me within 2 weeks as It could take time
Idk what to do

EDIT: My tutorial leader agreed to help me with one :smile:))
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by moneyislife2408
I recently applied to start again from year 1 at different universities and i used a reference from my old sixth form as i emailed the universities asking about it and they all said i could use one from them so i didn’t bother asking any academic staff at my current university for one
However, A got an email from one of the universities asking for a reference from my current university and i have 2 weeks to send it in if not my application would be made unsuccessful
Now I’m slightly worried because I don’t know who to ask for one especially since I do a joint honors so I don’t even have a personal tutor
With that, I don’t know if they’d be able to get it to me within 2 weeks as It could take time
Idk what to do

Ask your head of year or the academic lead for your joint honours.

Or if you don’t know who that is ask your school/department/academic office staff.

It’s odd to not have a tutor of any type.
Original post by moneyislife2408
Idk what to do

Send a message to your head of year / course director, and if you do any tutorials / small group teaching, also message the professors running these sessions. Your chances of getting a reference in two weeks are uncertain at best so email them NOW.
Original post by Scotland Yard

Send a message to your head of year / course director, and if you do any tutorials / small group teaching, also message the professors running these sessions. Your chances of getting a reference in two weeks are uncertain at best so email them NOW.

i have a tutorial tomorrow so I’ll ask the professor in charge then
Original post by PQ

Ask your head of year or the academic lead for your joint honours.

Or if you don’t know who that is ask your school/department/academic office staff.

It’s odd to not have a tutor of any type.

we don’t have personal tutors but rather student advisors but i’ll ask one of my tutorial leaders if she could help with one and in due time as well
This is why I usually advise to try and get a uni reference first, as it saves trying to sort one out with a deadline later.

I think you’ve had good advice above, so I can only add that if you are struggling just ask the uni you’ve applied to for more time. So long as you are in dialogue and keep them updated then a lot of places are fine with giving you extensions.
Original post by Admit-One
This is why I usually advise to try and get a uni reference first, as it saves trying to sort one out with a deadline later.

I think you’ve had good advice above, so I can only add that if you are struggling just ask the uni you’ve applied to for more time. So long as you are in dialogue and keep them updated then a lot of places are fine with giving you extensions.

I realize my mistake now , it’s just cus they were initially chill with me using a reference from my sixth form so I didn’t bother

I’ll ask for an extension too, Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending