The Student Room Group

Creative Writing MA Interview

Hey there! I've recently been invited to do an interview for an MA in writing in the UK, and was wondering if anyone had any tip on interviews for writing masters, or just MA interviews in general? I'm really nervous, so any help or ideas about the questions that will come up etc etc would be brilliant, if anyone has any experience with this! :smile:
Treat it as a conversation about your intellectual interests,pertaining to writing - your influences, your style - and ultimately, what you hope to achieve, at the end of the course.
Ask the tutors about their work, if it is of interest or relevant to your area of interest.
Have fun discussing your portfolio and why you think the university is a good choice for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Satty1
Treat it as a conversation about your intellectual interests,pertaining to writing - your influences, your style - and ultimately, what you hope to achieve, at the end of the course.
Ask the tutors about their work, if it is of interest or relevant to your area of interest.
Have fun discussing your portfolio and why you think the university is a good choice for you.

This is great advice, thank you so much!
Original post by rk1997xxx
Hey there! I've recently been invited to do an interview for an MA in writing in the UK, and was wondering if anyone had any tip on interviews for writing masters, or just MA interviews in general? I'm really nervous, so any help or ideas about the questions that will come up etc etc would be brilliant, if anyone has any experience with this! :smile:

@Satty1's advice is great - interviews are definitely more relaxed if you treat them like a conversation.

The interviewer may have pre-prepared questions that they want to work through or they might just treat it like an informal chat - either way, be yourself, answer honestly, and show your passion for your writing and your interest in the course. And remember that you don't have to jump to answer questions - if you need a little time to think or you're not entirely sure of something, it's okay to say so!

It's also okay to ask questions - an interview is a two-way process and is as much about you deciding the university is a fit for you as it is them deciding whether you'll be right for the course - so think about what you'd like to know about the course, the tutors, the teaching methods etc.

Hope that helps and good luck with the interview!

Amy :smile:
Has anyone been for a creative writing masters interview recently and have any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending