The Student Room Group

Interview tips

Hey, I have an interview for a college tomorrow & I was just wondering if anyone had any tips?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, I have an interview for a college tomorrow & I was just wondering if anyone had any tips?

(Edit: I just saw that this is under the North America forum, so you might not be asked as many academic questions as a UK interview, so keep in mind that these tips are coming from more of a UK perspective)
This is just my personal experience and opinion, so take it with a grain of salt:

This is something that I wasn't really expecting that I wish people had told me earlier, but if they ask you any questions that seem super easy or you can just answer them with a quick yes or no and no follow up discussion, pay attention to what that information is. Usually that question is a part 1 to a two part question and they asked you that easy question to set you on the right track.

It's totally okay to think through your thought process out loud before answering. Statements like, "my first thought is ___ because of ___, but now that I think about it more..." shows that you are someone that would work well in a tutorial system.

If they offer help or guidance, you can take it and change your answer, but if you do, make sure you justify and explain exactly why you are switching your position so that they think you are learning, not just going with whatever they say.

If you are strong in your belief, remember that you don't always have to agree with them, and a well thought-out counter-argument will be thought of as just as highly or more as a "correct" answer (in my opinion).

This is more specific, but if you struggle a bit with a shaky voice, feeling out of breath, or public speaking in general, and your interview is online, I suggest getting a heating pad or hot water bottle and holding it to your stomach during the process. For some reason it really is very calming and subconsciously reminds us to breathe into our stomachs, instead of shallow, nervous breaths.

Another possible comfort for an online interview is a candle that you have in your room, or a familiar scent.

Good luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LondonBlake
(Edit: I just saw that this is under the North America forum, so you might not be asked as many academic questions as a UK interview, so keep in mind that these tips are coming from more of a UK perspective)
This is just my personal experience and opinion, so take it with a grain of salt:

This is something that I wasn't really expecting that I wish people had told me earlier, but if they ask you any questions that seem super easy or you can just answer them with a quick yes or no and no follow up discussion, pay attention to what that information is. Usually that question is a part 1 to a two part question and they asked you that easy question to set you on the right track.

It's totally okay to think through your thought process out loud before answering. Statements like, "my first thought is ___ because of ___, but now that I think about it more..." shows that you are someone that would work well in a tutorial system.

If they offer help or guidance, you can take it and change your answer, but if you do, make sure you justify and explain exactly why you are switching your position so that they think you are learning, not just going with whatever they say.

If you are strong in your belief, remember that you don't always have to agree with them, and a well thought-out counter-argument will be thought of as just as highly or more as a "correct" answer (in my opinion).

This is more specific, but if you struggle a bit with a shaky voice, feeling out of breath, or public speaking in general, and your interview is online, I suggest getting a heating pad or hot water bottle and holding it to your stomach during the process. For some reason it really is very calming and subconsciously reminds us to breathe into our stomachs, instead of shallow, nervous breaths.

Another possible comfort for an online interview is a candle that you have in your room, or a familiar scent.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this!!
I just finished my interview it was amazing we spoke so fluidly and she said I’m a perfect fit for the college!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you so much for this!!
I just finished my interview it was amazing we spoke so fluidly and she said I’m a perfect fit for the college!!

I’m so happy for you, congrats! That must be the best feeling. Crossing my fingers for you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending