The Student Room Group

Autumn 2023 Anime Preview

A new anime season swiftly approaches, and it's got far more to offer than this summer did. But is there quality amongst this quantity? Here are some trailers, key visuals and synopses for the main full-length TV anime, along with my brief thoughts on them.

(These series are all due to start airing in late September - early October. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

16bit Sensation: Another Layer

Arknights: Fuyukomori Kaerimichi

Atarashii Joushi wa Do Tennen

B-Project: Netsuretsu*Love Call

Beyblade X

Bikkurimen

Bokura no Ameiro Protocol

Boukensha ni Naritai to Miyako ni Deteitta Musume ga S-Rank ni Natteta

Boushoku no Berserk

Bullbuster

Buta no Liver wa Kanetsu Shiro

Captain Tsubasa Season 2: Junior Youth-hen

Dead Mount Death Play Part 2

Dekoboko Majo no Oyako Jijou

Dog Signal

Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

Goblin Slayer II

Good Night World

Hametsu no Oukoku

Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon

Hoshikuzu Telepath

Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle - Rhyme Anima +

Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season

Kamierabi

Kamonohashi Ron no Kindan Suiri

Kanojo mo Kanojo 2nd Season

Kawagoe Boys Sing

Keikenzumi na Kimi to, Keiken Zero na Ore ga, Otsukiai suru Hanashi.

Kibou no Chikara: Otona Precure '23

Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu

Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo

Kizuna no Allele Season 2

Konyaku Haki sareta Reijou wo Hirotta Ore ga, Ikenai Koto wo Oshiekomu

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto

(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2

Megumi no Daigo: Kyuukoku no Orange

MF Ghost

Migi to Dali

Nanatsu no Taizai: Mokushiroku no Yonkishi

Ojou to Banken-kun

Overtake!

Paradox Live the Animation

Potion-danomi de Ikinobimasu!

Ragna Crimson

Saihate no Paladin: Tetsusabi no Yama no Ou

Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou desu 2nd Season

Seiken Gakuin no Makentsukai

Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su

Shy

Sousou no Frieren

Spy x Family Season 2

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 3

Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari: Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story

The iDOLM@STER Million Live!

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Tokyo Revengers: Tenjiku-hen

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3

Undead Unluck

Under Ninja

Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou.

Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai.

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, YouTube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them. :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Watching:

Kamierabi

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby S3

Migi to Dali

Spy x Family S2

Goblin Slayer II

Kamonohashi Ron no Kindan Suiri

Shy

Megumi no Daigo: Kyuukoku no Orange

Under Ninja

Dead Mount Death Play Part 2

Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

Bullbuster

Hoshikuzu Telepath

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto

Dropped:

Hametsu no Oukoku

Sousou no Frieren

Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon

Good Night World

Shangri-La Frontier
(edited 6 months ago)
Replaced the trailer for 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' with Crunchyroll's English subtitled one.

Added Arknights: Fuyukomori Kaerimichi and Bullbuster, no idea how they slipped under my radar!
A TON of English subbed trailers just came out; I've edited some of them into the first two posts already, but it keeps breaking the thread, so in the meantime I'll just list them all here.

Boukensha ni Naritai to Miyako ni Deteitta Musume ga S-Rank ni Natteta:

Dekoboko Majo no Oyako Jijou:

Hoshikuzu Telepath:

Overtake:

Atarashii Joushi wa Do Tennen:

Buta no Liver wa Kanetsu Shiro:

Under Ninja:

Megumi no Daigo: Kyuukoku no Orange:

Konyaku Haki sareta Reijou wo Hirotta Ore ga, Ikenai Koto wo Oshiekomu

Kizuna no Allele S2
(edited 7 months ago)
The time is running! it is as if I skipped the seasons in a sudden. :redface:
Replaced trailer for Undead Unluck - looks like the first trailer I found was just introducing the villains, hence my confusion on what the series was about. This one makes it look way more interesting! :biggrin:

Original post by Kallisto
The time is running! it is as if I skipped the seasons in a sudden. :redface:

Yeah, the summer (and this whole year) have really flown by quickly!
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yeah, the summer (and this whole year) have really flown by quickly!

And it was not even a good one. Are you binged to some animes so far?
Original post by Kallisto
And it was not even a good one. Are you binged to some animes so far?

Not yet for the Autumn season, as I've been away - I hope to start the first impressions posts this evening however!
Slightly later than usual, but here come my first episode impressions! Starting with a series voted onto my list by my external blog readers:

It's the year 2023, and the bishoujo game industry is in decline. Meiko works as a sub-illustrator for a struggling game development company, stuck working on low effort budget titles. Her own game pitch is shot down by her boss as being too ambitious and expensive. While out on her lunch break, she stumbles across a 2nd hand game shop, selling rare 90s bishoujo games for virtually nothing! She strikes up a conversation with the owner, vents her frustrations, and promises to return later - but when she does, she finds the shop abandoned. All that remains is a bag full of the old games she picked out. She opens one of the boxes, there is a sudden flash of light... and our protagonist is now back in 1992, the golden era of bishoujo games!

Very fun first episode! I do enjoy time travel anime, and I like that this one is going back to a time that I experienced myself, even if only as a very young child! I'm very much looking forward to all the early 90s tech, and seeing the process of making a game in that 16-bit era, programming for DOS on floppy discs.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G8DHV7854/16bit-sensation-another-layer
Not yet for the Autumn season, as I've been away - I hope to start the first impressions posts this evening however!

Don't panicking, the autumn has just begun and it is not the last time that I have been here.

In the near future, a substance known as 'phantometal' is used by hip-hop artists to enhance their performances, by combining with their DNA and displaying their emotions in the form of flashy illusions. BAE are one such group, who (along with three others) suddenly receive an invitation to take part in a round robin hip-hop battle tournament, set in the legendary CLUB Paradox. The prize for the winners: ten billion yen, and the chance to take on the ultimate unit known as BURAIKAN. Both CLUB Paradox and BURAIKAN disappeared from the face of the earth a decade ago, but when the venue suddenly reappears in its original location overnight, the BAE know that the offer is serious.

A fine introduction to the setting, and three members of BAE; the other units (The Cat's Whiskers, Akanyatsura, and cozmez) got brief screen time too, enough for us to get a hint as to their motivations for entering the Paradox Live tournament - some for the money, others for the glory. Animation was stylish, and the music wasn't bad. Seems like there's dark undertones beneath the flashy lights though, I'm intrigued enough to keep it on.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G3KHEVD87/paradox-live-the-animation
Kamierabi (KamiErabi GOD.app) [content warning: violence]

Goro is a highschool boy who is dissatisfied with life. One day, he records a video of his friend Akitsu messing around dangerously on the school roof, and accidentally uploads this online while showing his classmate and crush Honoka how to share images on social media. Later, he receives a weird phone notification inviting him to make a wish; he types that he wants to do 'something naughty' with Honoka. The next day, he is suspended from school over the now viral video. Honoka asks how she can make it up to him... and his wish ends up granted! Then, things get weird, as a mini floating girl shows up to inform him he's now a 'god candidate', and must fight other candidates in a death match. His first opponent: none other than Honoka!

This was trashy, even by survival game standards! VERY reminiscent of Mirai Nikki so far, but with a less interesting setup. The 3DCG animation isn't the best, with most side characters grey and unmoving, but it did look pretty decent in the fight scene, which is promising. The ending theme was brilliant. Not sure I'd recommend this one to others, but it's my kind of trash, so it stays on my list! :tongue:

Official Cruchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GZJH3D898/kamierabi-godapp
(edited 6 months ago)
My first sequel of the season! As usual, I'll keep my thoughts on these brief.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby S3

More horse girls running in pretty but highly impractical outfits! Series 3 focuses on Kitasan Black, a young child in S2 who has now made her racing debut, and hopes to match the success of her idol Tokai Teio. Solid setup episode, which also served to introduce our protagonist's main rivals, Duramente and Satono Crown. I'm not a fan of IRL horse racing, but this series always leaves me with a smile on my face. :smile:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GR79P2816/umamusume-pretty-derby
Migi to Dali (Migi & Dali)

An elderly, childless couple visit an orphanage, looking to adopt. However, they limit themselves to one child. They end up choosing a young boy named Hitori (meaning 'one person')... but he has a secret: he is in fact two twin boys, Migi and Dali (names resembling the Japanese words for 'right and 'left'). The two brothers work hard to present as one in front of their new parents, while constantly switching places under their very noses to ensure both get a chance to eat and interact with them. And though 'Hitori' seems like the perfect angel, the twins clearly have an ulterior motive for getting adopted, and are very manipulative behind the scenes.

This is definitely the most original of the Autumn 2023 anime offerings I've seen so far, at this early stage. The comedy was hilarious, and the mystery behind the siblings' past and current plans has me very interested. Their actions are so creepy! The late Sano Nami was a master of this weird humour, I loved the adaptation of her previous work Sakamoto desu ga?, and this has the potential to be even better.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GJ0H7QGKK/migidali
Spy x Family S2

A spy, an assassin and a psychic kid form a 'fake' family for their own conveniences; hilarity ensues! In this ep, Yor sustains an embarrassing and painful injury, and attempts to hide it while Loid drags her around the city on an ambitious date... of course, Anya tails them the whole time, too. The sequel I was looking forward to most this season, and it did not disappoint. The new OP and ED themes are just as wonderful as the previous ones. :biggrin:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G4PH0WXVJ/spy-x-family
(edited 6 months ago)
Spy x Family S2

A spy, an assassin and a psychic kid form a 'fake' family for their own conveniences; hilarity ensues! In this ep, Yor sustains an embarrassing and painful injury, and attempts to hide it while Loid drags her around the city on an ambitious date... of course, Anya tails them the whole time, too. The sequel I was looking forward to most this season, and it did not disappoint. The new OP and ED themes are just as wonderful as the previous ones. :biggrin:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G4PH0WXVJ/spy-x-family

Season 2? that is pretty fast. Give me a report when you watched the season through. :smile:
Goblin Slayer II [content warning: explicit violence, physical abuse, sexual abuse]

Despite their reputation for being weak, goblins are highly intelligent and dangerous in large numbers, leading to many inexperienced adventuring parties getting wiped out. The eponymous Goblin Slayer is a man whose mission in life is to destroy them all. This opened with a brief recap of S1's first episode, to remind us of how brutal the series can be, but the rest was just setting the scene and introducing a new character. Decent enough start!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G6VDMN306/goblin-slayer

Quick Reply

Latest