The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rejected for LSE masters programme

Hi there,

I applied for the MSc International Relations at LSE in early January, spent a long time on the application, met the criteria but was sadly rejected. It is clearly a competitive course so although disappointed I can understand why.

I received in the rejected email the following message:

Please note, however, that the selectors for your programme have suggested that you may be suitable for the MSc in International Relations Theory (L2UG). Further information about this programme can be found here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Gr...lations-Theory . If you would like to be considered for this programme, please submit the New Choices form: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/G...gramme-choices You will be required to upload a new statement of academic purpose aimed at this programme. You will not need to pay a further administrative fee for this programme choice. Please submit the New Choices form by 16 April 2020.

Is this automated or do they typically send this if they genuinely believe you might be offered a place on an alternative programme? I really don't know if I have the time and energy to put together another statement of academic purpose, now exactly how this would be different for the Theory programme.

What are my chances of applying to other masters programmes at LSE for acceptance this year if the programmes are still open? I am desperate to get a place at LSE and want to know if I still have time.

Can I use the same references or do I have to go through the time and effort of finding new referees for different programmes?

Any thoughts?
Hi! Offer holder from the Government Department here. I think that you can use the same references, since they only require a new personal statement. Considering how similar the two MSc programmes are, you might even get away with just adapting your PS a bit. My suggestion is to give it a shot! I applied at the beginning of March and got an offer in just 11 days. I believe you have a good chance to get in, as long as the programme is still open.
Good luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by addamarie
Hi! Offer holder from the Government Department here. I think that you can use the same references, since they only require a new personal statement. Considering how similar the two MSc programmes are, you might even get away with just adapting your PS a bit. My suggestion is to give it a shot! I applied at the beginning of March and got an offer in just 11 days. I believe you have a good chance to get in, as long as the programme is still open.
Good luck!

Thank you! I am just a bit disheartened at the rejection for the IR programme, so weighing up whether to add a new statement.

Could I also apply to other programmes within the portal using the same references do you think?
They wouldn't just tell anyone to apply to another program if they didn't think that they had a shot. Perhaps the people evaluating you are the same people for both programs and they think you're a better fit for IRT than IR. Though not 100% guaranteed, I'm sure they believe that there's merit in you. I say go for it or you might regret it later if you're really set on going to LSE.
Original post by cursed child
Thank you! I am just a bit disheartened at the rejection for the IR programme, so weighing up whether to add a new statement.

Could I also apply to other programmes within the portal using the same references do you think?

I understand how you feel, but you seem determined to get a place at LSE. So why not?
About applying to other programmes with the same references... Idk.
Original post by Anonymous
They wouldn't just tell anyone to apply to another program if they didn't think that they had a shot. Perhaps the people evaluating you are the same people for both programs and they think you're a better fit for IRT than IR. Though not 100% guaranteed, I'm sure they believe that there's merit in you. I say go for it or you might regret it later if you're really set on going to LSE.

Hello, thank you for the response.

Do you know if there is any practical difference in the two programmes? I can't see much of a difference apart from there being a methodology module.

What about career prospects?

Thanks
Hi there,

I applied for the MSc International Relations at LSE in early January, spent a long time on the application, met the criteria but was sadly rejected. It is clearly a competitive course so although disappointed I can understand why.

I received in the rejected email the following message:

Please note, however, that the selectors for your programme have suggested that you may be suitable for the MSc in International Relations Theory (L2UG). Further information about this programme can be found here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Gr...lations-Theory . If you would like to be considered for this programme, please submit the New Choices form: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/G...gramme-choices You will be required to upload a new statement of academic purpose aimed at this programme. You will not need to pay a further administrative fee for this programme choice. Please submit the New Choices form by 16 April 2020.

Is this automated or do they typically send this if they genuinely believe you might be offered a place on an alternative programme? I really don't know if I have the time and energy to put together another statement of academic purpose, now exactly how this would be different for the Theory programme.

What are my chances of applying to other masters programmes at LSE for acceptance this year if the programmes are still open? I am desperate to get a place at LSE and want to know if I still have time.

Can I use the same references or do I have to go through the time and effort of finding new referees for different programmes?

Any thoughts?

Dont overthink any single setback, move on and take the positives. If you want positive feedback, ask them and not us as they sent a generic email.
Hello, thank you for the response.

Do you know if there is any practical difference in the two programmes? I can't see much of a difference apart from there being a methodology module.

What about career prospects?

Thanks

They will lead you to the same place career wise. It's not like they're making you do chemistry.
Same situation here, did you get in the recommanded programme at last?
Original post by HiHoSilverLining
Same situation here, did you get in the recommanded programme at last?

They are unlikely to reply as last posted in 2020.

But if you are in the same situation, the reality is that LSE would not signpost someone to another course unless they thought they had a good chance of being accepted by that course. Some courses at LSE are more competitive than others (though they are all hard to get into) so if Admissions suggested an alternative course to you then it is worth applying for - if the alternative course genuinely interests you.
Original post by harrysbar
They are unlikely to reply as last posted in 2020.

But if you are in the same situation, the reality is that LSE would not signpost someone to another course unless they thought they had a good chance of being accepted by that course. Some courses at LSE are more competitive than others (though they are all hard to get into) so if Admissions suggested an alternative course to you then it is worth applying for - if the alternative course genuinely interests you.

Thx harrysbar, I will definitely apply for it, it's just LSE is my dream school, however I've got an offer for another school in another side of earth. If the likelihood is very promising, I think I'm going to hold my passport application.
Hi, I am in the same situation now. How did your case go finally?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending