The Student Room Group

Phd in Education - Cambridge - 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Seems a couple of us are in the same boat then!! Hopefully we’ll hear something soon
Original post by Phoebe Liao
Mine is still under department review. Interviewed on 12/18.

It went to Decision Pending. Sharing in case it is helpful for others to know. Finger crossed.
Reply 22
Is there a place where one can view what the PhD Education courses entail? My understanding is that year one includes research classes with students from other departments but I can't find detail on this
Original post by eduKATE88
Is there a place where one can view what the PhD Education courses entail? My understanding is that year one includes research classes with students from other departments but I can't find detail on this

https://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/doctoral/phd/
Not very detailed but this’s what on their website
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi everybody, my status went to Decision Pending today. Finger crossed!
Reply 25
Original post by Mary0000000
Hi everybody, my status went to Decision Pending today. Finger crossed!

Congratulations!
Congratulations!

Thank u so much and good luck on our applications!!!
Reply 27
I was looking at the Social Studies Research Methods Programme. https://www.ssrmp.group.cam.ac.uk/

Does anyone know if the department requires/suggests a certain number of courses, whether these are determined with your supervisor or if each person decides upon what they'll take based upon their own research?
Reply 28
I was looking at the Social Studies Research Methods Programme. https://www.ssrmp.group.cam.ac.uk/

Does anyone know if the department requires/suggests a certain number of courses, whether these are determined with your supervisor or if each person decides upon what they'll take based upon their own research?

Wait..are we supposed to take the courses during the first year of PhD?
At the end of my second interview, one of the panel members gave me a brief on what the first year will comprise. I was so engrossed in my thoughts, evaluating how I did in the interview and what mistakes have I made, that I didn't even bother to listen to what they had to say. I should have paid attention. At that time, I thought it was standard procedure for them to brief the candidates like this.

P.s. I am an international student who applied to the INSTRUCT Lab. Current status: Decision Pending.
Reply 29
Original post by hvk123
I had an interview 2 weeks ago but still haven't heard anything (was told they'd let me know the decision in due course) - tbh I don't have high hopes at all as my nerves got the better of me in the interview.

Don't lose hope just yet. I have come across numerous stories on Reddit where Ph.D. candidates performed terribly at interviews due to nerves, only to later receive offers from Cambridge. I don't think their decision is ever solely based on interview performances. Professors have years of experience and encounter a diverse range of candidates. So, I believe they understand how to evaluate candidates beyond mere nervousness. Keep your spirits high and let's keep our fingers crossed for the best outcome. We've got this!
Reply 30
Hi all! My status was moved to decision pending last Monday (Feb 5). Hoping to hear a final decision this week! I'm also so curious to know what kind of training is provided during the first year. I was under the impression there were no classes, but some training available (though I don't know what the details are). I'm also applying to programs in the US (I'm American, but trying to join my partner in the UK) and there is so much training provided at the beginning of the US programs! Still trying to figure out the pros and cons of the US v UK programs, particularly in regards to research training. If anyone knows specific details, I'd love to hear them!
Reply 31
Original post by Ald0024
Hi all! My status was moved to decision pending last Monday (Feb 5). Hoping to hear a final decision this week! I'm also so curious to know what kind of training is provided during the first year. I was under the impression there were no classes, but some training available (though I don't know what the details are). I'm also applying to programs in the US (I'm American, but trying to join my partner in the UK) and there is so much training provided at the beginning of the US programs! Still trying to figure out the pros and cons of the US v UK programs, particularly in regards to research training. If anyone knows specific details, I'd love to hear them!

Good luck to you!!

In the UK (University of Nottingham, some other department), my friend and her supervisor discussed which courses would be helpful for her project depending on her current skills and knowledge. She only needed to take one course. Even though she's in her first year of the PhD, they didn't say she couldn't take additional courses later if she wanted to. Moreover, she joined various research groups outside her department as suggested by the supervisor, and was encouraged to attend relevant seminars. Currently, she is working on a premeditated project which will not be included in her final thesis.

I wonder if Cambridge follows a similar pattern.
Reply 32
Original post by JuneKem
Good luck to you!!

In the UK (University of Nottingham, some other department), my friend and her supervisor discussed which courses would be helpful for her project depending on her current skills and knowledge. She only needed to take one course. Even though she's in her first year of the PhD, they didn't say she couldn't take additional courses later if she wanted to. Moreover, she joined various research groups outside her department as suggested by the supervisor, and was encouraged to attend relevant seminars. Currently, she is working on a premeditated project which will not be included in her final thesis.

I wonder if Cambridge follows a similar pattern.

This is really helpful to know, thank you for sharing!!

Good luck to you as well--keeping my fingers crossed that we'll hear something this week!
Reply 33
Received my rejection today 😭 saw it coming though. Good luck to everyone on their applications!! I’m rooting for you
Reply 34
Original post by hvk123
Received my rejection today 😭 saw it coming though. Good luck to everyone on their applications!! I’m rooting for you

Oh my God! I am so sorry. Remember love, this rejection does not define your worth or potential.
Keep your head up, stay determined, and trust that the right opportunity is just around the corner. You've got this!
Wherever you will end up, you will do great.

I wish you the best of luck for your future PhD journey!
Reply 35
Guys!! I have heard candidates with the status 'Decision Pending' are getting rejected too.

If anyone receives an offer, could you kindly update us here? It'll help us stay informed about the current status of applications from our department.
Reply 36
Original post by JuneKem
Oh my God! I am so sorry. Remember love, this rejection does not define your worth or potential.
Keep your head up, stay determined, and trust that the right opportunity is just around the corner. You've got this!
Wherever you will end up, you will do great.

I wish you the best of luck for your future PhD journey!

thank you love!! You guys got this~
Original post by hvk123

Hey, I'm sorry it didn't work out this time. I wish you all the best of luck with your future applications and academic career.
Reply 38
Original post by hvk123

Wishing you all the best. So sorry it didn't happen this time. Good luck on your applications!
I got an offer today!!
The wait continues for funding though.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending