The Student Room Group

Phd in Education - Cambridge - 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JuneKem
If this is of help to anybody

Conditional Offer made on 27th Feb
Status updated to Decision Pending (from under review by the department) on 8th Feb
Congratulations!!!
Original post by JuneKem
As an international student (Southeast Asian), I am more anxious about the funding than my offer (I haven't received my offer yet). Ever since the department told me they forwarded my application to PAO, I am constantly looking for external funding opportunities in my home country, and it's not looking good.

I knew beforehand that it was going to be difficult, but I had at least hoped for decent external funding opportunities. It would have provided me with a sense of stability, considering that securing internal funding as an international candidate is statistically challenging.

To be honest, having an immersed experience in the present scenario and conversations with my friends in the UK, I am reconsidering my choice of studying there because of the funding struggles. My area of interest (Applied Cognitive Science in Education) rarely has fund-based PhD projects. So, my only option is to apply through a centralized application and get the scholarship. But after this struggle to secure much-needed finances, if things don't work out, next season I am more willing to apply to good universities in Nordic countries and East Asia.

A lot of countries are out of the question for me as I cannot afford to dedicate more than 4years to a PhD.
Hey there, congratulations on your offer! That's fantastic news!

I can totally relate to your situation because I am in a similar boat. I also received an offer, but funding has been a bit of a challenge. It's tough, but we gotta keep trying.

Although the chances of getting CT studentships are slim, it's not impossible. I've been reaching out to people in my home country, both public and private sectors, and I'm hopeful that something great will come out of these conversations. Fingers crossed!

I wish you all the best in securing your funding and keep us updated on your progress. We're all rooting for you!
Original post by JuneKem
As an international student (Southeast Asian), I am more anxious about the funding than my offer (I haven't received my offer yet). Ever since the department told me they forwarded my application to PAO, I am constantly looking for external funding opportunities in my home country, and it's not looking good.

I knew beforehand that it was going to be difficult, but I had at least hoped for decent external funding opportunities. It would have provided me with a sense of stability, considering that securing internal funding as an international candidate is statistically challenging.

To be honest, having an immersed experience in the present scenario and conversations with my friends in the UK, I am reconsidering my choice of studying there because of the funding struggles. My area of interest (Applied Cognitive Science in Education) rarely has fund-based PhD projects. So, my only option is to apply through a centralized application and get the scholarship. But after this struggle to secure much-needed finances, if things don't work out, next season I am more willing to apply to good universities in Nordic countries and East Asia.

A lot of countries are out of the question for me as I cannot afford to dedicate more than 4years to a PhD.
I'd also recommend applying to the U.S. for a Ph.D. They are almost always fully funded. The only thing is that the U.S. Ph.D. takes longer because the first couple of years are spent taking courses and doing some level of teaching. They really prepare you to be an academic if that's what you are interested in.
Reply 63
Original post by Phoebe Liao
Congratulations!!!
Thank you so much, Love!!
Reply 64
Original post by AnonymuStudent
Hey there, congratulations on your offer! That's fantastic news!

I can totally relate to your situation because I am in a similar boat. I also received an offer, but funding has been a bit of a challenge. It's tough, but we gotta keep trying.

Although the chances of getting CT studentships are slim, it's not impossible. I've been reaching out to people in my home country, both public and private sectors, and I'm hopeful that something great will come out of these conversations. Fingers crossed!

I wish you all the best in securing your funding and keep us updated on your progress. We're all rooting for you!
Thank you so much, Love <3

I too wrote to the alumni association of my previous institute to check whether any of the alumni has a foundation or is willing to help. I studied at one of the top institutions in my country, so the alumni are spread across the world and are quite wealthy. Apart from this, I have decided to approach political parties and ministries (State as well as Center) to check if anything could be done. In addition, I am also reaching out to trusts that already provide scholarships for studying overseas to inquire if they have any means to support my case.

I believe this approach of not solely relying on internal funding and actively seeking external support from the start is commendable. It would be beneficial for us to discuss this further on this thread, keeping everyone updated on our journey and offering assistance where possible. By sharing our experiences, we can encourage one another to explore funding opportunities and uncover avenues we may not have previously considered.
Reply 65
Original post by KungfuKenny12
I'd also recommend applying to the U.S. for a Ph.D. They are almost always fully funded. The only thing is that the U.S. Ph.D. takes longer because the first couple of years are spent taking courses and doing some level of teaching. They really prepare you to be an academic if that's what you are interested in.
I would have loved to pursue that option, if it weren't for personal reasons that don't allow me to dedicate more than 4 years to this degree. I strongly agree with your argument that U.S. programs tend to prepare you more thoroughly for an academic career.

Sometimes, I wish I had figured out my life a little earlier; it would have helped me immensely.
Got my conditional offer on 28th Feb. Moved to DP on 8th Feb.
Gook luck with everyone’s application and funding.
Reply 67
Congratulations on your offers! Did anyone receive any information about funding? If so, how did you get the news?
Reply 68
Huge Congrats!!! Wishing you the greatest of luck for funding.
Congrats Phoebe!
Original post by AnonymuStudent
Hey there, everyone!

I was hoping to find a place to chat about the PhD in Education application process and I think I've found it! Let's use this thread to keep each other in the loop about any upcoming updates, interviews, funding options, or any other timelines that we should be aware of. Basically, anything that you think would be helpful to share!

I'm applying to PEDAL, and I can't wait to catch all the updates on this thread!
Hi, Congratulations and Good luck.
Which Center/ lab are you applied?
Reply 71
Has anyone received news from Gates Cambridge? I learnt from that general group that some people have interview invitations already 😶*🌫️
Hi everyone :smile:)) I got my offer on 28th Feb from DP on 8th Feb! Hope this message can help you and good luck with everyone's application!
Reply 73
Original post by Mary0000000
Hi everyone :smile:)) I got my offer on 28th Feb from DP on 8th Feb! Hope this message can help you and good luck with everyone's application!
Congratulationsssss!!!! All the very best for funding.

I am so very happy to see a lot of candidates on this thread receiving offers. I hope all of us can land some kind of funding..so that we can all meet 🙂 Fingers crossed for us all !
Reply 74
Original post by Tim877
Has anyone received news from Gates Cambridge? I learnt from that general group that some people have interview invitations already 😶*🌫️
I wonder if the funding distribution is department dependent or if we all here are not the right representation of offer holders from the Faculty of Education. Offer holders at the main thread received both Cambridge Trust international scholarships and a call for Gates Cambridge interviews, but nobody from our department heard a word from either of them.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 75
Original post by JuneKem
I wonder if the funding distribution is a departmental thing or if we all here are not the right representation of offer holders from the Faculty of Education. Offer holders at the main thread received both Cambridge Trust international scholarships and a call for Gates Cambridge interviews, but nobody from our department heard a word from either of them.
I am wondering too. I have screened the messages from that general to see if there's one PhD education student in there, but none. Are there any Africans here? For Cambridge African Changemakers
Reply 76
Original post by Tim877
I am wondering too. I have screened the messages from that general to see if there's one PhD education student in there, but none. Are there any Africans here? For Cambridge African Changemakers
Not many talked about the country/continent they belong to on this thread. I am aware of some US citizens, and I am from South-East Asia. As of now, no one has mentioned or indicated that they are from Africa.
Reply 77
Congrats to everyone here that has received an offer! I received my conditional offer the other week and am now navigating funding like many of you...it's been very discouraging and I haven't heard anything about any of the bigger opportunities. I'm grateful to have a fully funded + stipend offer in the US (I'm American) but was really hoping to study in the UK, where my partner is based. Fingers crossed that we'll hear something soon. If it helps others at all, I have a friend at Cambridge currently in the faculty of ed and she didn't hear about her (partial) funding until June/July.
Reply 78
Original post by Ald0024
Congrats to everyone here that has received an offer! I received my conditional offer the other week and am now navigating funding like many of you...it's been very discouraging and I haven't heard anything about any of the bigger opportunities. I'm grateful to have a fully funded + stipend offer in the US (I'm American) but was really hoping to study in the UK, where my partner is based. Fingers crossed that we'll hear something soon. If it helps others at all, I have a friend at Cambridge currently in the faculty of ed and she didn't hear about her (partial) funding until June/July.
Congratulations on receiving your offer from the US 🙂 I truly hope you're able to secure some form of funding and join your partner in the UK for a happy life together. Fingers crossed!!

Do you have any idea how is your friend covering her expenses/fees beyond funding? Is she working or have any other sources of support?
I am afraid I cannot afford partial funding unless there is something solid to rely on at Cambridge. GBP is 100 times the currency of my country. Therefore, loaning the remaining money will take a huge financial toll and eternity to pay off. I will already lose all of my years of savings to cover the fees for a visa, IHS, and one-way ticket to the UK.
Reply 79
Original post by JuneKem
Congratulations on receiving your offer from the US 🙂 I truly hope you're able to secure some form of funding and join your partner in the UK for a happy life together. Fingers crossed!!

Do you have any idea how is your friend covering her expenses/fees beyond funding? Is she working or have any other sources of support?
I am afraid I cannot afford partial funding unless there is something solid to rely on at Cambridge. GBP is 100 times the currency of my country. Therefore, loaning the remaining money will take a huge financial toll and eternity to pay off. I will already lose all of my years of savings to cover the fees for a visa, IHS, and one-way ticket to the UK.
Thank you! Good luck to you as well--the funding piece is so complicated.

My friend's family and partner are helping her pay for it. Sadly not a reality for me and many others! She does have a part time job that helps with her rent (she and her partner live in private accommodation). That is all I know of her financial situation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending