The Student Room Group

Phd in Education - Cambridge - 2024

Scroll to see replies

Hi all! I emailed the faculty some days ago and here is their response on funding and here is their response. Has anyone heard back from their potential supervisor?

"Applications received by the funding deadline, with both references provided, have been reviewed and assessed by the Faculty. Where the Faculty has recommended an offer be made, these applications have been forwarded for consideration by the funding bodies for all funding opportunities for which they are eligible. Applicants who have been nominated by the Faculty for specific funding opportunities (Research Councils, Gates) have been contacted by their supervisors.

The University provides Funding Guidance for applicants here: Funding Webpages Funding FAQs Submit a Funding Question directly to the Postgraduate Admissions Funding Communications Administrator

The main award period is March to July. Applicants are notified directly by e-mail when they have been successful. The awards process is undertaken on a rolling basis over the summer and ensures the University funds as many applicants as possible.

The Cambridge Trust appreciates that all applicants are keen to hear the outcome of their scholarship application as soon as possible, and their Student Support team will do its utmost to deliver early notifications to successful applicants. The team work hard throughout the award period to try and match you with the funding you require to take up your place to study at the University of Cambridge. If you have not heard from the Trust directly by the end of the award period you should assume that your application has not been successful. Students who are not successful should not feel that this is a failure, with some years being more competitive than others, depending on the pool of applicants.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search for funding for your studies "
Reply 81
Any feedback on funding and conditional offers, guys? 😶
Reply 82
Original post by Tim877
Any feedback on funding and conditional offers, guys? 😶
By 'feedback', do you mean 'the news'?
Reply 83
Original post by JuneKem
By 'feedback', do you mean 'the news'?
Yes Exactly!
Reply 84
Original post by Tim877
Yes Exactly!
No. No news on funding as of now.
Reply 85
Original post by AnonymuStudent
Hi all! I emailed the faculty some days ago and here is their response on funding and here is their response. Has anyone heard back from their potential supervisor?

"Applications received by the funding deadline, with both references provided, have been reviewed and assessed by the Faculty. Where the Faculty has recommended an offer be made, these applications have been forwarded for consideration by the funding bodies for all funding opportunities for which they are eligible. Applicants who have been nominated by the Faculty for specific funding opportunities (Research Councils, Gates) have been contacted by their supervisors.

The University provides Funding Guidance for applicants here: Funding Webpages Funding FAQs Submit a Funding Question directly to the Postgraduate Admissions Funding Communications Administrator

The main award period is March to July. Applicants are notified directly by e-mail when they have been successful. The awards process is undertaken on a rolling basis over the summer and ensures the University funds as many applicants as possible.

The Cambridge Trust appreciates that all applicants are keen to hear the outcome of their scholarship application as soon as possible, and their Student Support team will do its utmost to deliver early notifications to successful applicants. The team work hard throughout the award period to try and match you with the funding you require to take up your place to study at the University of Cambridge. If you have not heard from the Trust directly by the end of the award period you should assume that your application has not been successful. Students who are not successful should not feel that this is a failure, with some years being more competitive than others, depending on the pool of applicants.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search for funding for your studies "
All I heard from my potential supervisor today is that she would like me to join weekly lab meetings from next term, that is, April 2024, and my college (Lucy Cavendish) wants us to attend one of many informal meetings starting tomorrow. A part of me is extremely excited; while with no news of funding in sight, the other part is absolutely terrified.
If I fail to secure any scholarship, my love affair with Cambridge will end in October; or should I say courtship.

Thank you for sharing the email. I was thinking of writing to the department. But it seems, they will give the very same standard reply.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by JuneKem
All I heard from my potential supervisor today is that she would like me to join weekly lab meetings from next term, that is, April 2024, and my college (Lucy Cavendish) wants us to attend one of many informal meetings starting tomorrow. A part of me is extremely excited; while with no news of funding in sight, the other part is absolutely terrified.
If I fail to secure any scholarship, my love affair with Cambridge will end in October; or should I say courtship.
Thank you for sharing the email. I was thinking of writing to the department. But it seems, they will give the very same standard reply.

Things are moving up for you @JuneKem! I hope we get to meet in Cambridge this October.
Reply 87
Things are moving up for you @JuneKem! I hope we get to meet in Cambridge this October.
Yes!! I sincerely hope that too :smile:

It would be wonderful if all of us from this thread could meet there.
Original post by JuneKem
Yes!! I sincerely hope that too :smile:
It would be wonderful if all of us from this thread could meet there.
Same here!! I really look forward to seeing y'all in October :smile:))
Reply 89
I got my Gates rejection yesterday 😶. I don't know if I am nominated for other scholarships but I am keeping hope alive. Best wishes guys 🙌🏾
Reply 90
Has anybody here been nominated for CAM-DTP by the Faculty of Education and filled out their ESRC funding forms (the deadline was 31st Jan)?

P.S. Just for info, I wasn't nominated. It turns out I was miscalculating their dates.
Reply 91
Original post by Tim877
I got my Gates rejection yesterday 😶. I don't know if I am nominated for other scholarships but I am keeping hope alive. Best wishes guys 🙌🏾
I'm sorry to hear about it. If you were nominated for Gates, there is a very high probability of you being nominated for other scholarships too. I hope you receive positive news soon. Wishing you the greatest of luck!!!:grin:
Hey there! Just wanted to check if anyone has heard from their supervisor or faculty about being nominated for funding?
Reply 93
Original post by JuneKem
I'm sorry to hear about it. If you were nominated for Gates, there is a very high probability of you being nominated for other scholarships too. I hope you receive positive news soon. Wishing you the greatest of luck!!!:grin:
I wish you the same too and to everyone here!
Reply 94
Has anything new happened to anybody in the past week? Any updates??
Reply 95
This is the response I got from the faculty when I enquired whether I was nominated for funding in any capacity.

I can confirm that your application was prepared and sent for general funding consideration. The Faculty receives a handful of nominee slots for Research Council and Gates funding to whom we submit our most eligible applicants. Nominees for specific funding opportunities have been contacted by their supervisors.

The main award period is March to July. Applicants are notified directly by e-mail where they have been successful. The awards process is undertaken on a rolling basis over the summer and ensures the University funds as many applicants as possible.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search for funding for your studies,

Kind regards,
I haven't seen anyone in this thread or the main PG one contacted or nominated for funding by the faculty of education. Maybe the ones who did get nominated aren't here
Reply 97
I haven't seen anyone in this thread or the main PG one contacted or nominated for funding by the faculty of education. Maybe the ones who did get nominated aren't here
After reading the conversation about the Faculty of Education's funding situation on the main PG thread, I reached out to the department, and this was their response: "I can confirm that your application was prepared and forwarded for general funding consideration. The Faculty doesn’t have any additional involvement in this stage of the ongoing funding decisions - we hear of results at the same time as our offer holders!" The latter paragraph remained the same.

Now my understanding is that by the term "General Funding," they are referring to "The Cambridge Commonwealth, European and International Trust." (Source: https://llm.law.cam.ac.uk/finance/general-university-and-college-funding). They send applications only from eligible candidates for general funding consideration. Those of us who received emails similar to that of above are among those deemed eligible and thus forwarded for general funding consideration (Cambridge Trust Scholarships). However, it appears the department did not nominate any of us specifically for funding opportunities like Research Councils (ESRC), Gates (except perhaps @Tim877), as none of us received any such email.

I hope my understanding of all this information is accurate.
Original post by JuneKem
After reading the conversation about the Faculty of Education's funding situation on the main PG thread, I reached out to the department, and this was their response: "I can confirm that your application was prepared and forwarded for general funding consideration. The Faculty doesn’t have any additional involvement in this stage of the ongoing funding decisions - we hear of results at the same time as our offer holders!" The latter paragraph remained the same.
Now my understanding is that by the term "General Funding," they are referring to "The Cambridge Commonwealth, European and International Trust." (Source: https://llm.law.cam.ac.uk/finance/general-university-and-college-funding). They send applications only from eligible candidates for general funding consideration. Those of us who received emails similar to that of above are among those deemed eligible and thus forwarded for general funding consideration (Cambridge Trust Scholarships). However, it appears the department did not nominate any of us specifically for funding opportunities like Research Councils (ESRC), Gates (except perhaps @Tim877), as none of us received any such email.
I hope my understanding of all this information is accurate.

Thanks @JuneKem. Yeah it seems that from this forum only @Tim877 got pushed forward for the more specific scholarships. Let's hope we receive good news from the Cambridge Trust!
Reply 99
Thanks @JuneKem. Yeah it seems that from this forum only @Tim877 got pushed forward for the more specific scholarships. Let's hope we receive good news from the Cambridge Trust!
Yup! All of my fingers are crossed.
Night and day, praying to the Old Gods and the New, for us all to make it through. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending