The Student Room Group

clearing

I just wanted to ask about anything to do with clearing in relation to doing much better in a levels than expected; my predicted grades are currently BCC which I have applied with however my current grades are AAB so I was wondering how it would work if i got those grades or higher at a level. My top 5 choices that I WOULD have chosen would have been Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield and I currently have one offer for international relations from Plymouth - in case this info is of any use!!
Original post by sshoooooooo
I just wanted to ask about anything to do with clearing in relation to doing much better in a levels than expected; my predicted grades are currently BCC which I have applied with however my current grades are AAB so I was wondering how it would work if i got those grades or higher at a level. My top 5 choices that I WOULD have chosen would have been Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield and I currently have one offer for international relations from Plymouth - in case this info is of any use!!

Well, you could go to the university you firmed or you could try to "trade up" via clearing: you check UCAS, the university website, and then you give them a call to say, "Hey, is this course in clearing? I got these grades in clearing and this is my UCAS number and..." yada yada yada, so on and so forth. If, and only if, you get the blessing from the uni to apply through clearing, you do it - you decline your offer(s) and you apply. Note you can only apply to one uni at a time via clearing!
Consider a gap year.
Original post by sshoooooooo

The big issue is whether a university will have spaces available in clearing. Edinburgh typically has very few and for very popular subject Leeds and Manchester might not either. If a university has spaces for your course you would need to give up any offers you have and apply there.
Reply 4
As above - plan a gap year.
Work your socks off now, and get those top grades in August.
Then apply next year to 5 choices that match your grades.

This is far better than hoping that you dream Uni/course might be in Clearing, and having all of that last minute panic about 'where am I going', missing out on accommodation etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending