The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

likelihood of programme transfer at the LSE?

hi guys. i have an offer to study BSc International Relations at the LSE, however, i am having doubts about whether or not i want to do IR anymore. i've started doing some preliminary reading for IR and i'm starting to realise it's not really what i want to do, whereas i've had a look at their geography degree and it seems perfect for what i'm interested in. i'm sort of kicking myself a bit because i think i've made a mistake and should've applied to do Geography instead. just wondering if there are any LSE students who have been in the same position in terms of wanting to transfer programmes and who might have any tips. i called the admissions office and they said i'd have to wait until September to see if they have any space for me but i'd also have to meet with the programme director of my current programme (IR) and then the geography one to request to switch. i don't know whether i should wait a bit and give the IR programme a chance to be certain i don't want to do it or whether i should just try transferring immediately. if anyone has any advice on what to do or any helpful input then i'd really appreciate it
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys. i have an offer to study BSc International Relations at the LSE, however, i am having doubts about whether or not i want to do IR anymore. i've started doing some preliminary reading for IR and i'm starting to realise it's not really what i want to do, whereas i've had a look at their geography degree and it seems perfect for what i'm interested in. i'm sort of kicking myself a bit because i think i've made a mistake and should've applied to do Geography instead. just wondering if there are any LSE students who have been in the same position in terms of wanting to transfer programmes and who might have any tips. i called the admissions office and they said i'd have to wait until September to see if they have any space for me but i'd also have to meet with the programme director of my current programme (IR) and then the geography one to request to switch. i don't know whether i should wait a bit and give the IR programme a chance to be certain i don't want to do it or whether i should just try transferring immediately. if anyone has any advice on what to do or any helpful input then i'd really appreciate it

I would just go to LSE regardless of the degree tbh. I would ask to switch when freshers starts, but worst comes to worst and you are stuck with IR, any degree from LSE is better than not going even if you don't like the course that much. no harm in asking if there's space for you in the geography department though. (from an incoming geography with Econ student at LSE too)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I am at the LSE and I transferred programmes in September of first year (but within my own department), but I know a few people who managed to transfer from management/accounting and finance into the geography department last year
Reply 3
Original post by amberlily051
I would just go to LSE regardless of the degree tbh. I would ask to switch when freshers starts, but worst comes to worst and you are stuck with IR, any degree from LSE is better than not going even if you don't like the course that much. no harm in asking if there's space for you in the geography department though. (from an incoming geography with Econ student at LSE too)

i guess so, thank you for your response. i'm not certain that i won't like IR, i think i would enjoy it, it's more just that the geography degree seems better suited to my interests if that makes any sense
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I am at the LSE and I transferred programmes in September of first year (but within my own department), but I know a few people who managed to transfer from management/accounting and finance into the geography department last year

ah okay, that's reassuring, thank you very much for your response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending