The Student Room Group

Weighting of a Uni Module:

Hi all,

I have a module at the minute, and the weighting of it is 50/50 consisting of an Exam and a Coursework.

So I have completed the coursework and got 89/100 or 89%, and I am due to take the exam this week. But if I got 89 on the coursework, how important is the Exam? (I don't really get the weighting.)

Of course, i'll still put 110% into the exam. But can someone explain how important the exam is, in my case?
Reply 1
You need to check whether both components have to be passed to pass the module (i.e. 40%) or whether it's an average of the 2 grades to pass.
(edited 3 months ago)
Half your grade is from the coursework and half from the exam. So the exam is equally important as the coursework, but as you did well on the coursework this may balance out a poorer performance on the exam...if your module grade is calculated from the mean average. This is usually the case but not always (the Open Uni has a very different format for example). As above you may also be required to achieve a minimum result in both components.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Half your grade is from the coursework and half from the exam. So the exam is equally important as the coursework, but as you did well on the coursework this may balance out a poorer performance on the exam...if your module grade is calculated from the mean average. This is usually the case but not always (the Open Uni has a very different format for example). As above you may also be required to achieve a minimum result in both components.

Ah, I see. I'm in my 1st year at John Moores, so I don't know how they calculate grades for modules with Exams yet, i'll have a bit of a research and find out.
Reply 4
They may have student access to the grading rubric?
Not all unis will
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all,

I have a module at the minute, and the weighting of it is 50/50 consisting of an Exam and a Coursework.

So I have completed the coursework and got 89/100 or 89%, and I am due to take the exam this week. But if I got 89 on the coursework, how important is the Exam? (I don't really get the weighting.)

Of course, i'll still put 110% into the exam. But can someone explain how important the exam is, in my case?

Hey!
The 50/50 weightage of Exam and Coursework means that both will be counted equally towards your final score. The average of both scores will make your final grade. So, if you score similar in your exam it will maintain the number towards your final grade, or go up if you score more than your coursework. On the other side, if the exam doesn't go as well as the coursework, it could bring your final grade down. That's why giving your best effort in the exam is still important. All the Best for your exam!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending