The Student Room Group

Uni decision help

Could I please get a guide to figuring out if I should go to uni. I applied last year though clearing , enrolled then got scared and withdrew. I know the UCAS deadline is this month and I haven't started on any research and still dont know if its something I want to do. I liked studying psychology in college and I got an A , so that's the subject I'm drawn to but I'm really not sure I see a career in it. Sounds ridiculous , but if anyone could write me a step by step guide to figuring this out and the application process , that would help a lot :smile:
Original post by kerry.woollands
Could I please get a guide to figuring out if I should go to uni. I applied last year though clearing , enrolled then got scared and withdrew. I know the UCAS deadline is this month and I haven't started on any research and still dont know if its something I want to do. I liked studying psychology in college and I got an A , so that's the subject I'm drawn to but I'm really not sure I see a career in it. Sounds ridiculous , but if anyone could write me a step by step guide to figuring this out and the application process , that would help a lot :smile:

Really this is something personal that only you can decide. The deadline is only an equal opportunities deadline. Most courses will still be available until later in the year. Maybe do some research about what you want to do and why you are dubious about attending university. Is it the feeling about being away from home. If so could you attend somewhere near home
Reply 2

What do you see yourself doing job wise?You may well be working for 50 years so it is worth thinking carefully about whether you do and what you do for a degree carefully.What are you interested in outside college?What have you done in the last few months.Do you like kids or animals?Do you enjoy academic study?There are also degree apprenticeships.Is there a reason you have not done any research on this until now?
Reply 3
What are you doing right now? Studying or working?
Original post by Artjen
What are you doing right now? Studying or working?

I finished A levels last year and I'm currently working at cafe just to earn some money. I guess i'm on a gap year but I haven't really done anything productive except get a job.
Original post by Scotney
What do you see yourself doing job wise?You may well be working for 50 years so it is worth thinking carefully about whether you do and what you do for a degree carefully.What are you interested in outside college?What have you done in the last few months.Do you like kids or animals?Do you enjoy academic study?There are also degree apprenticeships.Is there a reason you have not done any research on this until now?

This is the issue , I really don't know what I want to do. I have interests and hobbies but I cant see any of them as a career , for example I love cooking and baking but I dont want to be a chef , I dont want to go to work and cook all day then come home and have to cook for myself. It seems like something I would enjoy at home not as a career if that makes sense. Other interests are photography , yoga/fitness , travel. I love animals so much , but couldn't handle anything like being a vet or seeing them in pain. I've not had any experience being around young kids so I really dont know but when I was little I did want to be a teacher so working in education could be an option. I do really enjoy academic study , I love being organised and having a schedule but at the same time things like presentations , group projects and sitting in hours of lectures put me off a bit. I finished my a levels last year , then got good grades so thought it was good idea to apply to a psychology course last minute , when I enrolled , I really didn't enjoy it because I felt so unprepared and wasn't happy with my decision so I withdrew, So I started looking for jobs in like October and got one at a cafe. And my focus was just on that and then Christmas so I guess that decision just got more and more delayed so Im trying to start my research again , but since the deadline is the month im getting worried ill make another rushed decision.

Sorry for the ramble but hope that answered your questions :smile:
Dont worry about thhe deadline. It isnt a strict deadilne just the date you have to apply by to get equal consideration. In practice the vast majority and courses are unaffected by it. Some top universities wont look at applications after that date and a number of leading universities wont look at you for very competitive courses. However there will be many universities and courses that will consider you.

The most important matter is that you are certain what you intend doing is right for you. Take your time looking into various subjects and locations. Visit them if possible. Universities will usually arrange for somebody to discuss things with you or even show you around outside of formal open days.

Why Psychology. Is it right for you or are you doing it because it is popular like so many do. Put your A level subjects below and it will suggest many options then look into them to see if you can find a good fit. You dont need to apply yet so take your time and get it right.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=838430ceee2a0292JmltdHM9MTcwNDI0MDAwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTE5Ng&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=informed+choices&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5mb3JtZWRjaG9pY2VzLmFjLnVrLw&ntb=1
Original post by swanseajack1
Really this is something personal that only you can decide. The deadline is only an equal opportunities deadline. Most courses will still be available until later in the year. Maybe do some research about what you want to do and why you are dubious about attending university. Is it the feeling about being away from home. If so could you attend somewhere near home

I understand that , its just I've tried making this decision alone before and it didn't work out for me. I really wish my college would have supported me more at the time so I would know more about my options or have explored different pathways. I keep going round in circles and ive made millions of pros and cons lists but get nowhere , I just really hate the thought of getting there and regretting it. Being away on my own sounds good for me to grow as a person but I do hate the thought of leaving my family and friends. I think ill consider looking at unis closer to me for sure. Its nice to know I can buy myself a little more time after the deadline then , thank you.
Dont worry about thhe deadline. It isnt a strict deadilne just the date you have to apply by to get equal consideration. In practice the vast majority and courses are unaffected by it. Some top universities wont look at applications after that date and a number of leading universities wont look at you for very competitive courses. However there will be many universities and courses that will consider you.

The most important matter is that you are certain what you intend doing is right for you. Take your time looking into various subjects and locations. Visit them if possible. Universities will usually arrange for somebody to discuss things with you or even show you around outside of formal open days.

Why Psychology. Is it right for you or are you doing it because it is popular like so many do. Put your A level subjects below and it will suggest many options then look into them to see if you can find a good fit. You dont need to apply yet so take your time and get it right.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=838430ceee2a0292JmltdHM9MTcwNDI0MDAwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTE5Ng&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=informed+choices&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5mb3JtZWRjaG9pY2VzLmFjLnVrLw&ntb=1

This was really useful thanks !

And with psychology I genuinely found it interesting at the time but I cant tell if its because I really liked the subject or if its because I preferred it to my other two A Levels , I found it easier and got good grades in it.
I do want to attend open days its just they are mostly around this time and id have to get days off work etc plus I dont really want to go on my own. But I understand that going there in person will make it much easier to visualise myself living there and studying there , maybe ill even feel more prepared if I do.
Have a look at different courses. What subjects did you take at A levels and what grades did you achieve.
Have a look at different courses. What subjects did you take at A levels and what grades did you achieve.

I took psychology - A , sociology - A* , Maths - C
Reply 12
I finished A levels last year and I'm currently working at cafe just to earn some money. I guess i'm on a gap year but I haven't really done anything productive except get a job.

I would not rush into any decision this year I had two gap years and worked various jobs and volunteered at the local school.In retrospect I was too young at 18 to decide what I wanted to do with my life.There is no shame in that btw but you need to get it right next time so take your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending