The Student Room Group

NERC DTPs 2023 Entry

Hey everyone!

After a great thread for the 2022 applicants, I thought it would be good to have a 2023 thread.

Who is hoping to apply for NERC PhDs this Autumn? Have you applied before? Which DTPs are you interested in?

This will be my 3rd year applying. I managed to receive an interview earlier this year for a 2022 start, but unfortunately wasn't offered a place. My field is fairly niche so I will see what comes up this year. I'm excited for the projects to be listed over the next couple of months.

Good luck everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm hoping to apply this autumn. I've never applied before and planning to apply to the C-CLEAR DTP
Original post by tiphzo
Hey, I'm hoping to apply this autumn. I've never applied before and planning to apply to the C-CLEAR DTP

Hi, thats great! Good luck. Which field are you interested in?
Reply 3
Original post by Tourmaline20
Hi, thats great! Good luck. Which field are you interested in?

Solid Earth and Geological Hazards hopefully! I don't have an Earth Science background (but the research I currently do overlaps in terms of some lab skills) so all of this is really new and exciting.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Which DTPs are you applying for?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tiphzo
Solid Earth and Geological Hazards hopefully! I don't have an Earth Science background (but the research I currently do overlaps in terms of some lab skills) so all of this is really new and exciting.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Which DTPs are you applying for?

That sounds really exciting, I hope you find a project to suit you.

Thank you, I'm probably going to consider all of them, as I am fairly picky about the project I want to do. So it just depends on the studentships advertised :smile:
Reply 5
That sounds really exciting, I hope you find a project to suit you.

Thank you, I'm probably going to consider all of them, as I am fairly picky about the project I want to do. So it just depends on the studentships advertised :smile:

After contacting a professor, I think I've found the perfect project! (Trying not to get too attached but I really hope I'll be successful in my application 🤞)

I completely understand that, I told myself if I didn't like any of the projects I wouldnt apply. The main reason I'm applying to C-CLEAR is because it's close enough (and has cheap travel😂) to London without being a London based uni (one of my personal criteria).

What field/theme are you considering? 🙂
Original post by tiphzo
After contacting a professor, I think I've found the perfect project! (Trying not to get too attached but I really hope I'll be successful in my application 🤞)

I completely understand that, I told myself if I didn't like any of the projects I wouldnt apply. The main reason I'm applying to C-CLEAR is because it's close enough (and has cheap travel😂) to London without being a London based uni (one of my personal criteria).

What field/theme are you considering? 🙂

Fingers crossed for you! If you are really interested in a project, that will definitely come across in your application, so I am sure you're in with a good shot. Do you think you will apply to any others?

I've noticed that Iapetus DTP and C-CLEAR have both advertised their projects now.

I am interested in geology - particularly palaeontology/sedimentology. I would prefer to stay semi close to home though - so just a waiting game to see what is advertised.
Reply 7
Fingers crossed for you! If you are really interested in a project, that will definitely come across in your application, so I am sure you're in with a good shot. Do you think you will apply to any others?

I've noticed that Iapetus DTP and C-CLEAR have both advertised their projects now.

I am interested in geology - particularly palaeontology/sedimentology. I would prefer to stay semi close to home though - so just a waiting game to see what is advertised.

Thank you!! I don't think I will be applying to any others at the moment as I haven't found any projects as interesting and are at unis that fit my personal criteria 😭 I'm kind of nervous applying to only Cambridge though as my overall undergraduate grade isn't that strong but I'm hoping to make up for that in other areas.

I think INSPIRE is open as well now (was a bit confused because it says projects will be released shortly at the top of the page but there were projects already listed 😂). Did any of the C-CLEAR or Laperus projects interest you?

Oooh so we're sort of interested in similar topics! I'm interested in paleomagnetism. I really hope the right project(s) appear for you!
Original post by tiphzo
Thank you!! I don't think I will be applying to any others at the moment as I haven't found any projects as interesting and are at unis that fit my personal criteria 😭 I'm kind of nervous applying to only Cambridge though as my overall undergraduate grade isn't that strong but I'm hoping to make up for that in other areas.

I think INSPIRE is open as well now (was a bit confused because it says projects will be released shortly at the top of the page but there were projects already listed 😂). Did any of the C-CLEAR or Laperus projects interest you?

Oooh so we're sort of interested in similar topics! I'm interested in paleomagnetism. I really hope the right project(s) appear for you!

Ahh, well there are still more to be advertised. Plus, there are always projects funded through other means. If the Cambridge supervisor is keen to support you, then even with lower grades, they must believe you have a good chance.

I noticed that too! There was one C-CLEAR project I thought looked interesting, however with less than a 2:1 at undergrad level, there is no point in even trying :lol: I am mainly waiting for the GW4+ projects as they had great ones last year! Thank you, I guess I'm not in any rush to be accepted onto a PhD as I really enjoy my job anyway.
Reply 9
Ahh, well there are still more to be advertised. Plus, there are always projects funded through other means. If the Cambridge supervisor is keen to support you, then even with lower grades, they must believe you have a good chance.

I noticed that too! There was one C-CLEAR project I thought looked interesting, however with less than a 2:1 at undergrad level, there is no point in even trying :lol: I am mainly waiting for the GW4+ projects as they had great ones last year! Thank you, I guess I'm not in any rush to be accepted onto a PhD as I really enjoy my job anyway.

Hi, it's been a while! 😂

How are applications going? Did you see any advertised projects you were interested in?
Hi happy new year! I am also applying to the NERC DTPs this year. Hows everyone's applications going?
Reply 11
Original post by joannaddg
Hi happy new year! I am also applying to the NERC DTPs this year. Hows everyone's applications going?

Happy New Year!

Applications going good, submitted one and working on my second (and last one). What about you? Which DTPs are you applying for? :smile:
Original post by tiphzo
Happy New Year!

Applications going good, submitted one and working on my second (and last one). What about you? Which DTPs are you applying for? :smile:

I am applying to C-CLEAR, Oxford NERC and London NERC. Have just submitted all of them. Which ones are you applying to?
Reply 13
I am applying to C-CLEAR, Oxford NERC and London NERC. Have just submitted all of them. Which ones are you applying to?

Nice! I'm applying to C-CLEAR (submitted in Dec) and CENTA DTP.

I havent met anyone else applying to the C-CLEAR! How are you feeling about your application? :smile:
Original post by tiphzo
Nice! I'm applying to C-CLEAR (submitted in Dec) and CENTA DTP.

I havent met anyone else applying to the C-CLEAR! How are you feeling about your application? :smile:

I submitted my C-CLEAR one in Dec as well. I got an email recently for a departmental interview? I think it's like some internal project competition, but I'm not too sure. This is my first year applying to DTPs and I feel they are so competitive haha so not trying to get my hopes up...
Reply 15
I submitted my C-CLEAR one in Dec as well. I got an email recently for a departmental interview? I think it's like some internal project competition, but I'm not too sure. This is my first year applying to DTPs and I feel they are so competitive haha so not trying to get my hopes up...

omg congrats on the interview!🥳

Do you mind sharing when you submitted? I submitted 21st Dec and it still says submitted for me on the portal 😭 (although I did send it pretty close to the holidays and I think most unis are now coming back the break ). Don't have to share if you don't feel comfortable ofc

I'm also trying not to get my hopes up because it's also my first year applying! Really nervous haha

I really hope your interview goes well!🤞 getting to interview stage of any DTP is an accomplishment in itself
Original post by tiphzo
omg congrats on the interview!🥳

Do you mind sharing when you submitted? I submitted 21st Dec and it still says submitted for me on the portal 😭 (although I did send it pretty close to the holidays and I think most unis are now coming back the break ). Don't have to share if you don't feel comfortable ofc

I'm also trying not to get my hopes up because it's also my first year applying! Really nervous haha

I really hope your interview goes well!🤞 getting to interview stage of any DTP is an accomplishment in itself

I submitted around end of November before 1st Dec funding deadline. I actually don’t think this is the real interview. I think they had multiple people who applied to my project and they can only forward one person to the DTP? So they need to internally interview you in the department to decide who to nominate? It’s just my guess, but honesty I don’t even know haha
Reply 17
I submitted around end of November before 1st Dec funding deadline. I actually don’t think this is the real interview. I think they had multiple people who applied to my project and they can only forward one person to the DTP? So they need to internally interview you in the department to decide who to nominate? It’s just my guess, but honesty I don’t even know haha

Oooh i see, so like a preliminary interview interview? I never read about that happening but I hope it goes well regardless :smile:
Original post by tiphzo
Hi, it's been a while! 😂

How are applications going? Did you see any advertised projects you were interested in?

I decided against applying for any this year. Just personal circumstances, but will hopefully be able to apply for 2024.

Good luck with yours. Have you submitted all your applications now? Let us know how you get on 😊
Reply 19
I decided against applying for any this year. Just personal circumstances, but will hopefully be able to apply for 2024.

Good luck with yours. Have you submitted all your applications now? Let us know how you get on 😊

I hope you are able to apply next year too 🙂

looool got the CENTA in by a minutes to the deadline so I'm not even going to get my hopes up with that one 😂 I originally planned to work on it over the holidays but was sick over the holidays then had other obligations so I wasn't quite able to get it to the standard I am happy with but oh well! At least I tried, not the end of the world if I don’t get into a PhD programme this year
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending