The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

4 A levels vs 3 for Imperial

Hello, I'm going to apply to Imperial to study computing (security and reliability) in 2025 (I'm in year 12 now) and I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer science. I have the option to take physics as an AS or take it to full A level. On one hand, dropping physics to AS would allow me to have more time to ensure good grades for my other 3 subjects and preparation for the STEP paper. But as far as I'm aware most Imperial offers are from 4 A levels. Will taking only 3 A levels greatly reduce my chances of getting an offer or is it better to drop it to secure the grades I need and get a good score on the STEP?
Is there an option to take Physics to AS then continue it on for A-level if you change your mind?
I ask because when you go to an open day you can ask this exact question.
Someone asked for my open day and they said offers pretty much solely depended on the MAT (I picked maths) which was a pre-offer test.
I know step is a post-offer test. Does your course have a test/ interviews you need to do before getting an offer?
If so I don't think number of A-Levels affects your competitiveness. I would do whatever maximises your ability to get the highest a-level result.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Is there an option to take Physics to AS then continue it on for A-level if you change your mind?
I ask because when you go to an open day you can ask this exact question.
Someone asked for my open day and they said offers pretty much solely depended on the MAT (I picked maths) which was a pre-offer test.
I know step is a post-offer test. Does your course have a test/ interviews you need to do before getting an offer?
If so I don't think number of A-Levels affects your competitiveness. I would do whatever maximises your ability to get the highest a-level result.

Yes, I'm currently doing AS level physics, but soon I will have to choose whether to take it to full A-Level or to take the AS exam.
I believe there is an interview before getting an offer, but I thought the STEP was before getting an offer. Maybe I'm wrong?
Thanks for the insight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending