The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Manchester or Sheffield (Computer Science)?

Hello,

I've received offers from Sheffield and Manchester University for computer science. Sheffield offers a paid year in industry, while Manchester has a foundation year. I'm torn between the two Manchester is highly reputable, but Sheffield's industry experience is appealing. Any advice on which one I should choose?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello,

I've received offers from Sheffield and Manchester University for computer science. Sheffield offers a paid year in industry, while Manchester has a foundation year. I'm torn between the two Manchester is highly reputable, but Sheffield's industry experience is appealing. Any advice on which one I should choose?

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! I am Jivanthika, a current second year student from the University of Sheffield and I hope I can help. When it came to firming a university, I remember the range of different things that I looked at. First of all, not only are you doing a degree for four years, you also might be living in a new city for that amount of years too so it is important to see which city is more suited for you too! I remember visiting unis on their open days and Sheffield was definitely the one I could see myself living in. Another thing to consider is affordability, Sheffield has a lower cost of living than the national average which will help your finances more. Finally, in terms of the actual department and staff, all the lecturers are incredibly helpful and provide good feedback on assignments and are willing to help if you are stuck. In terms on the content on the course as well, we have a mixed range of assignments like individual and group assignments which also prepares you for work in the industry and you get a range of experience to mention in your CV when applying for year in industry like our Global Engineering Week and Engineering: You're Hired. So even though I might be biased now that I am a student here, I am very glad of the decision I made in year 13 when I chose Sheffield :smile:

Hope that helps you and let me know if you have any more questions,
Jivanthika
(edited 3 months ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hello,

It depends. I got into Manchester Foundation year this year, and I'm going there because of the reputation, and the course for CS is appealing, I took this offer because of its reputation, and it is amazing for computer science, therefore would be better overall for me as for my career, but if you think Sheffield is better for you then take it. I have friends in Manchester, and they love it there, so that's why I came to my overall decision to choose there.
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hello,

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! I am Jivanthika, a current second year student from the University of Sheffield and I hope I can help. When it came to firming a university, I remember the range of different things that I looked at. First of all, not only are you doing a degree for four years, you also might be living in a new city for that amount of years too so it is important to see which city is more suited for you too! I remember visiting unis on their open days and Sheffield was definitely the one I could see myself living in. Another thing to consider is affordability, Sheffield has a lower cost of living than the national average which will help your finances more. Finally, in terms of the actual department and staff, all the lecturers are incredibly helpful and provide good feedback on assignments and are willing to help if you are stuck. In terms on the content on the course as well, we have a mixed range of assignments like individual and group assignments which also prepares you for work in the industry and you get a range of experience to mention in your CV when applying for year in industry like our Global Engineering Week and Engineering: You're Hired. So even though I might be biased now that I am a student here, I am very glad of the decision I made in year 13 when I chose Sheffield :smile:

Hope that helps you and let me know if you have any more questions,
Jivanthika

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will go to both of their offer holder days and check the unis out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending