The Student Room Group

Army "self harm" appeal

Hi people, I am writing as I have had my application rejected due to "intentional self harm".
I have received my medical history through email from my gp and the only self harm I can see on there was when I punched a wall as a child... I'm talking when I was 13 years old and still in school dealing with a lot of stress. Since then I have applied for the Royal marines and when I went through their medical I passed! So I do not understand, unfortunately I could not continue my application with the marines due to unforseen circumstances but I am currently in college studying a level three extended diploma in proffesional policing so I was looking at applying as an officer for when I finish college which is in May. I'm currently in the process of appealing this decision as I don't think it's fair to be rejected on something that I did as a child... baring mind I'm 20 years old.
I am just writing to see if anyone else has being through a similar situation and has managed to appeal and get in?
Original post by Rd607811
Hi people, I am writing as I have had my application rejected due to "intentional self harm".
I have received my medical history through email from my gp and the only self harm I can see on there was when I punched a wall as a child... I'm talking when I was 13 years old and still in school dealing with a lot of stress. Since then I have applied for the Royal marines and when I went through their medical I passed! So I do not understand, unfortunately I could not continue my application with the marines due to unforseen circumstances but I am currently in college studying a level three extended diploma in proffesional policing so I was looking at applying as an officer for when I finish college which is in May. I'm currently in the process of appealing this decision as I don't think it's fair to be rejected on something that I did as a child... baring mind I'm 20 years old.
I am just writing to see if anyone else has being through a similar situation and has managed to appeal and get in?

I've moved your post from "University and university courses > Medical and healthcare professions > Medicine > Medical Schools" to "Careers and Jobs > Career sectors and graduate employment > Armed Forces", given that it's about an attempt to join the army (not an attempt to gain entry to medical school).
Reply 2
There will be people who have had successful appeals. However, every case is assessed on an individual basis, so best to concentrate on responding to your rejection and providing evidence to counter whatever it states.

We don't know exactly how it's worded on your medical records or your letter.

Ex-Recruiter.

Quick Reply

Latest