The Student Room Group

Ip law qualification?

Hey!

I studied veterinary medicine and i really am more passionate about law, that is why I will pursue a second degree in law. I wondered if someone knows if my dvm background can help me become a patent attorney?
Help and advice is much appreciated!!! :smile:
This isn’t related to your question, and you might very well have already considered this, but is it an option for you to do the GDL (graduate diploma in law)? This will save you from having to study a second degree
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
This isn’t related to your question, and you might very well have already considered this, but is it an option for you to do the GDL (graduate diploma in law)? This will save you from having to study a second degree

Firstly, I want to thank you for the reply and help! I am not from UK so we have a different educational system. That is why i need to purse it as a second degree since the DVM is 6 years together and not 3+2.
Reply 3
Hi, to become a patent attorney you do not need a law degree. They are looking for people qualified in a scientific/technical area. Biotech is a high demand area at the moment. I’m not sure how relevant your Vet med degree would be, but you may want to ask some attorney firms for advice, or consider a biotech based postgrad qualification.
Reply 4
Original post by Pinky05
Hi, to become a patent attorney you do not need a law degree. They are looking for people qualified in a scientific/technical area. Biotech is a high demand area at the moment. I’m not sure how relevant your Vet med degree would be, but you may want to ask some attorney firms for advice, or consider a biotech based postgrad qualification.

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending