The Student Room Group

University of Hertfordshire Paramedic Science

Hello,
I’m looking at the paramedic science course at the University of Hertfordshire, and for the BTEC national extended diploma in health and social care, it specifies specific units you must have covered in your course to get in. Unfortunately, on my course we only cover two of them. Does this mean I won’t be able to get in?
Original post by Finlat123
Hello,
I’m looking at the paramedic science course at the University of Hertfordshire, and for the BTEC national extended diploma in health and social care, it specifies specific units you must have covered in your course to get in. Unfortunately, on my course we only cover two of them. Does this mean I won’t be able to get in?

Hi, sorry I do not know much about the BTEC aspect of applying, but from my experience of applying this year I have found that even if you apply without the correct grades (ABB and you have BBB for example) SOME uni's sometimes still consider you if you make sure to contact them. Although, Hertfordshire for paramedic science is one of the competitive ones therefore they might be less lenient, especially with a course with a significantly lower cohort than other courses. However, despite this I would 100000% get in contact with admissions and state what you have just about the BTEC units as they look at every application differently so you might have a different consideration than what is on the website.

Sorry I do not know much about the BTEC side, but I have had great results from contacting admissions, also some uni's have an online live chat which is amazing although if it is a complicated request they often just send you the email for admissions anyway! Hope that helps a little :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by clara_ematt
Hi, sorry I do not know much about the BTEC aspect of applying, but from my experience of applying this year I have found that even if you apply without the correct grades (ABB and you have BBB for example) SOME uni's sometimes still consider you if you make sure to contact them. Although, Hertfordshire for paramedic science is one of the competitive ones therefore they might be less lenient, especially with a course with a significantly lower cohort than other courses. However, despite this I would 100000% get in contact with admissions and state what you have just about the BTEC units as they look at every application differently so you might have a different consideration than what is on the website.

Sorry I do not know much about the BTEC side, but I have had great results from contacting admissions, also some uni's have an online live chat which is amazing although if it is a complicated request they often just send you the email for admissions anyway! Hope that helps a little :biggrin:

Yeah. My issue isn’t grades, that’s what’s confusing me. I definitely realistically get the grades they ask for, and I’ve got relevant experience, and will have more by the time I apply. It’s the only uni I’ve seen such specific requirements of the course.

thanks very much for taking your time to reply :smile:
Original post by Finlat123
Yeah. My issue isn’t grades, that’s what’s confusing me. I definitely realistically get the grades they ask for, and I’ve got relevant experience, and will have more by the time I apply. It’s the only uni I’ve seen such specific requirements of the course.

thanks very much for taking your time to reply :smile:

Yes, I had to contact a couple of my unis as I didn't do biology and that was a requirement on their website, but I contacted them and stated that I did social sciences and whether they would accept them and they stated that it would be ok, so you might find that they don't list all the parts or it is general like my issue needing a "science subject":smile:

Quick Reply

Latest