The Student Room Group

Watched threads not working

Problem Summary

Problem Details
These are not my watched threads

Could someone please tell me where I can now find watched forums (as a list with an easy link through to the latest thread and not as if I have opted to watch every thread within those forums as a feed which seems to be what watched topics shows - a feed doesn’t work when I am interested in the latest thread from yesterday in a quiet forum as well as the latest thread in a busy one - the threads in the busy forums drown out the quiet ones)

Also where my bookmarks have been move to?

Device
Mobile

Browser
Safari

Link

Additional Information
IMG_6792.jpeg
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Problem Summary

Problem Details
These are not my watched threads

Could someone please tell me where I can now find watched forums (as a list with an easy link through to the latest thread and not as if I have opted to watch every thread within those forums as a feed which seems to be what watched topics shows - a feed doesn’t work when I am interested in the latest thread from yesterday in a quiet forum as well as the latest thread in a busy one - the threads in the busy forums drown out the quiet ones)

Also where my bookmarks have been move to?

Device
Mobile

Browser
Safari

Link

Additional Information
IMG_6792.jpeg

Hey,

Thanks for raising, that's very odd! I'll have a look into this for you now :holmes:

In the meantime, you can access your watched threads here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/subscription.php

Bookmarks aren't supported on React I'm afraid - you should be able to see them on forum pages still though? :smile:

ETA: Sorry I just realised what you mean - we have a fix for that that should be out shortly!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by RainbowLapras
Hey,

Thanks for raising, that's very odd! I'll have a look into this for you now :holmes:

In the meantime, you can access your watched threads here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/subscription.php

Bookmarks aren't supported on React I'm afraid - you should be able to see them on forum pages still though? :smile:

ETA: Sorry I just realised what you mean - we have a fix for that that should be out shortly!

Just to be clear

Watched threads on mytsr is showing weird random threads

Watched forums has gone. The watched topics it has been replaced with isn’t fit for purpose for those of us who used watched forums as the main way to navigate the site

Tsr bookmarks are probably lurking somewhere but I haven’t found them yet

(I’m a bit bewildered by the logic of moving the content users have actively opted into (watched threads/forums) below the feed and latest discussions)
Original post by PQ
Just to be clear

Watched threads on mytsr is showing weird random threads

Watched forums has gone. The watched topics it has been replaced with isn’t fit for purpose for those of us who used watched forums as the main way to navigate the site

Tsr bookmarks are probably lurking somewhere but I haven’t found them yet

(I’m a bit bewildered by the logic of moving the content users have actively opted into (watched threads/forums) below the feed and latest discussions)

Ah I see, so there's issues with the watched threads too? Okay thanks, I'll look into this!

There should be an update to watched topics this afternoon that will resolve the issues you're seeing there :smile:
Posting to follow updates regarding watched forums (now topics) because that's going to cause a nightmare for me with PS reviews
Original post by 04MR17
Posting to follow updates regarding watched forums (now topics) because that's going to cause a nightmare for me with PS reviews

We have some small tweaks still to follow, but the primary issue for watched topics should be fixed now, is that working for you? CC: @PQ
We have some small tweaks still to follow, but the primary issue for watched topics should be fixed now, is that working for you? CC: @PQ

No, I'm still seeing a pile of threads listed there, instead of the 5 forums that should be listed. I would screenshot but some threads are private.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17
No, I'm still seeing a pile of threads listed there, instead of the 5 forums that should be listed. I would screenshot but some threads are private.

Are you seeing one thread per topic, or multiple for each? You're welcome to PM a screenshot if you'd be more comfortable with that!
Are you seeing one thread per topic, or multiple for each? You're welcome to PM a screenshot if you'd be more comfortable with that!

I can't attach an image to PMs sadly. Will find somewhere more suitable.

I'm only seeing 4 threads and I watch 5 forums so something doesn't add up there. But either way I need to get to the forum, so it's adding a step to be forced to click on a thread first then click straight back out of it. The work around for this would be bookmarks, but they haven't been made available yet either.

Bookmarks will be coming though right?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17
I can't attach an image to PMs sadly. Will find somewhere more suitable.

I'm only seeing 4 threads and I watch 5 forums so something doesn't add up there. But either way I need to get to the forum, so it's adding a step to be forced to click on a thread first then click straight back out of it. The work around for this would be bookmarks, but they haven't been made available yet either.

Bookmarks will be coming though right?

You should be able to click on the topic name underneath the thread, is that not working for you at the moment? :beard:

Could you pop bookmarks down as a feature request via the form when you get a minute, please? It'll get reviewed by the product team from there :smile:
You should be able to click on the topic name underneath the thread, is that not working for you at the moment? :beard:

Could you pop bookmarks down as a feature request via the form when you get a minute, please? It'll get reviewed by the product team from there :smile:

I didn't receive a quote notification for this post

Couple of things:

It wasn't intuitive that the forum named was a link, as this is far too small

Not all my watched forums are visible there

Is there no longer a limit for number of forums we can watch? For me it used to be five but I know other people had a small limit and some had no limit so I wonder if the shift to react has ironed this out

I find it baffling that I need to feature request something that was already on the site and was seemingly chosen to be removed. I had expected the answer to be along the lines of "yes this is going to be built soon".

Original post by 04MR17
I didn't receive a quote notification for this post

Couple of things:

It wasn't intuitive that the forum named was a link, as this is far too small

Not all my watched forums are visible there

Is there no longer a limit for number of forums we can watch? For me it used to be five but I know other people had a small limit and some had no limit so I wonder if the shift to react has ironed this out

I find it baffling that I need to feature request something that was already on the site and was seemingly chosen to be removed. I had expected the answer to be along the lines of "yes this is going to be built soon".

Could you pop an issue in via the form for that one too, please, if you couldn't tell it was a link? We might need to review the design if it's not clear :holmes:

There shouldn't be a limit on how many forums you can watch now - the 5 forums most recently posted in will be displayed in that widget at present in the new widget! If you're missing forums there, please let me know what those are and I can take a look!

The react pages won't be a direct copy of showthread2, as some features are only used by a very small number of users, hence not being able to give an immediate and definitive answer regarding bookmarks :sadnod:
(edited 3 months ago)
Could you pop an issue in via the form for that one too, please, if you couldn't tell it was a link? We might need to review the design if it's not clear :holmes:

There shouldn't be a limit on how many forums you can watch now - the 5 forums most recently posted in will be displayed in that widget at present in the new widget! If you're missing forums there, please let me know what those are and I can take a look!

The react pages won't be a direct copy of showthread2, as some features are only used by a very small number of users, hence not being able to give an immediate and definitive answer regarding bookmarks :sadnod:

Bookmarks request done. They used to be available on forum pages and the homepage, so they aren't an ST2-user only issue in the slightest.

I don't know which forum is missing as I can't view my old homepage and I can't remember what was on it. Unless there is a link somewhere in settings to a list of watched forums that I may not know of? There were definitely 5 forums, and there are only 4 showing.

If there's only going to be space for 5 on the homepage then that is effectively a 5 forum limit, as I'm not going to be bumping forums just so they appear on my homepage.
Original post by 04MR17
Bookmarks request done. They used to be available on forum pages and the homepage, so they aren't an ST2-user only issue in the slightest.

I don't know which forum is missing as I can't view my old homepage and I can't remember what was on it. Unless there is a link somewhere in settings to a list of watched forums that I may not know of? There were definitely 5 forums, and there are only 4 showing.

If there's only going to be space for 5 on the homepage then that is effectively a 5 forum limit, as I'm not going to be bumping forums just so they appear on my homepage.

I believe that they're still displaying on forum pages, is that not the case for you?

Okay no problem, I'll do some investigation on this tomorrow as I'm working on the watched topics side anyway!

The topics would move in relation to which had the most recent posts - can I check what your use case would be for wanting specific ones to appear on your homepage, just so I'm clear? :smile:
I believe that they're still displaying on forum pages, is that not the case for you?

Okay no problem, I'll do some investigation on this tomorrow as I'm working on the watched topics side anyway!

The topics would move in relation to which had the most recent posts - can I check what your use case would be for wanting specific ones to appear on your homepage, just so I'm clear? :smile:

No bookmarks on forum pages :nope:

Easy navigation primarily, especially as bookmarks have been removed from homepage. And instant information on latest posts in (all of) those forums clearly visible in one view. I'm used to there being a limit of 5, so it doesn't affect my experience but others in the past told me they could see 8, 9, 10 watched forums or more on their homepage. @CheeseIsVeg had at least 7-8.
Original post by 04MR17
No bookmarks on forum pages :nope:

Easy navigation primarily, especially as bookmarks have been removed from homepage. And instant information on latest posts in (all of) those forums clearly visible in one view. I'm used to there being a limit of 5, so it doesn't affect my experience but others in the past told me they could see 8, 9, 10 watched forums or more on their homepage. @CheeseIsVeg had at least 7-8.

Hm, I'll look into that one tomorrow and get back to you then :smile:

Okay thanks for the clarification on this, I'll make a note!
Original post by PQ
I had requested that this customisation option be available so that users can choose what order the widgets display.

I'll repeat that in a new thread too just so it's been said three times in total.
I'm now told that I'm up to date on all my watched topics.

I'm not. I didn't click on any of them.
And even if I did I'd want them to stay there.

I would rather have too many things to scroll through that things disappearing / inaccessible.
Original post by 04MR17

I would rather have too many things to scroll through that things disappearing / inaccessible.

We're aware of an issue where the widget might not populate correctly if you're following a very large number of threads, and a fix is being worked on! :smile:
Original post by 04MR17

I'll have a look at the topics not showing tomorrow, they should still be populating even if you've read everything!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending