The Student Room Group

Inns of court scholarship (Bar course)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CJStevens
Yeah it went as well as it could have done, I think. Definitely intimidating but certainly not as difficult as you may make it out to be :smile:
Ah well that’s good news, what Inn was it with?
Reply 21
I had my interview yesterday aswell and it was scary!! The panel ripped my presentation to shreds and asked loads of questions so definitely try cover all bases when you prepare that!!
omg I was wondering how long they would even have to ask questions/attack the presentation - did you do the presentation first?
Reply 23
Original post by charlx01
I had my interview yesterday aswell and it was scary!! The panel ripped my presentation to shreds and asked loads of questions so definitely try cover all bases when you prepare that!!
Ahh that sounds horrible 😬 what inn was it?
Reply 24
Original post by Sg3124
Ahh that sounds horrible 😬 what inn was it?
Lincoln’s!
It's insane how different experiences can be because (although also scary) mine was the opposite!

I must say though, my presentation was on an area of criminal procedure and I don't think any of the panel were criminal barristers. This definitely played to my advantage because the legislation I presented on is quite complex so I definitely could have struggled if a criminal barrister challenged me on it...
Reply 26
It's insane how different experiences can be because (although also scary) mine was the opposite!

I must say though, my presentation was on an area of criminal procedure and I don't think any of the panel were criminal barristers. This definitely played to my advantage because the legislation I presented on is quite complex so I definitely could have struggled if a criminal barrister challenged me on it...
Was it for Lincoln’s? I feel as if my area doesn’t invite a lot of questions because it’s very black and white but sure they’ll come up with something
Original post by Sg3124
Was it for Lincoln’s? I feel as if my area doesn’t invite a lot of questions because it’s very black and white but sure they’ll come up with something
Yh lincoln's also :smile:

They probably have a generic set of questions to ask in case they can't get into any specific legal issues.
Reply 28

For sure! I was hoping that I wouldn’t get a criminal barrister as my presentation was on a criminal issue. Turns out that I got a criminal KC who threw so many questions at me in relation to it.

I hope your interview went well. Aside from the presentation, how did you find it?
Reply 29
Yh lincoln's also :smile:

They probably have a generic set of questions to ask in case they can't get into any specific legal issues.
I definitely think they had a generic set of questions for it because they were very generalised and perhaps naively questions that I didn’t prepare for.
Reply 30
Original post by cupcake1235
omg I was wondering how long they would even have to ask questions/attack the presentation - did you do the presentation first?
For me, the panel lead took on questions about motivation and I think she asked me 3/4 (the interview was quite a blur!). We then moved on to the second panel member who asked about personal characteristics and I think he asked me 4 questions too. The final member asked me to present my presentation and then he asked questions on it. The panel were running 15 minutes late and took half an hour altogether from me being called in.
(edited 2 months ago)
For sure! I was hoping that I wouldn’t get a criminal barrister as my presentation was on a criminal issue. Turns out that I got a criminal KC who threw so many questions at me in relation to it.

I hope your interview went well. Aside from the presentation, how did you find it?

I'm sure you handled the questions well! They'll account for the fact that they put extra pressure on you in any event, I'm sure.

I think the interview went as best as it could have done. I certainly don't think I let myself down in any major respect so I can't really have done much more. It's out of my hands now hahah
Reply 32
I'm sure you handled the questions well! They'll account for the fact that they put extra pressure on you in any event, I'm sure.

I think the interview went as best as it could have done. I certainly don't think I let myself down in any major respect so I can't really have done much more. It's out of my hands now hahah
I completely agree! I think we definitely did the best we could’ve done, however stressful it was. Do you know which panel you had? (mine was panel 6)
I completely agree! I think we definitely did the best we could’ve done, however stressful it was. Do you know which panel you had? (mine was panel 6)
I had panel 1 (and was interviewed at 10am). They were lovely though I definitely got the sense that one or two of them were trying to play bad-cop a little haha

Did you apply for pupillage this year?
Reply 34
I had panel 1 (and was interviewed at 10am). They were lovely though I definitely got the sense that one or two of them were trying to play bad-cop a little haha

Did you apply for pupillage this year?
Ahhh I’m so glad it worked well for you! I applied for pupillage mostly in family and crime chambers in the north/north east. Why about you? Where are you doing the bar course?
Ahhh I’m so glad it worked well for you! I applied for pupillage mostly in family and crime chambers in the north/north east. Why about you? Where are you doing the bar course?

Thank you!

Yh I applied this round, too. All crim sets predominantly in the North West :smile:

I've applied to ICCA but I think that even with a big scholarship I would still struggle to afford it (I live near Manchester so paying for the living costs would killllll me). I reckon I'll just stay in Manchester to be honest. What about you?
Reply 36
Sorry to jump in on this conversation! But just wondered which NE chambers you applied for? And where you’ll be doing the Bar Course? I’m hoping to do it at ULaw at Newcastle campus, are you the same? I know absolutely no one going on to do it in my year at uni
Reply 37
Thank you!

Yh I applied this round, too. All crim sets predominantly in the North West :smile:

I've applied to ICCA but I think that even with a big scholarship I would still struggle to afford it (I live near Manchester so paying for the living costs would killllll me). I reckon I'll just stay in Manchester to be honest. What about you?
I’m the same really. I would’ve loved to go to ICCA but costs are just too much in London. I’m doing the BTC in Nottingham at NTU.
Reply 38
Did Lincoln’s ask any questions about current legal topics?
Reply 39
Original post by Sg3124
Sorry to jump in on this conversation! But just wondered which NE chambers you applied for? And where you’ll be doing the Bar Course? I’m hoping to do it at ULaw at Newcastle campus, are you the same? I know absolutely no one going on to do it in my year at uni
I’m going to be doing it at my undergrad university so staying at NTU for the bar course.

I applied to New Park Court, KBW, Dere Street, St Paul’s Chambers. I also applied to some more down in Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending