The Student Room Group

year 12 looking for advice on any extra things/courses to do in summer

i am a year 12 and i want to do some extra things for mechanical engineering which will make my personal statement stand out as i want to go to a top university such as imperial

i saw a similiar post which the comments recommended the arduino kit for electrical engineering. i am looking for something similiar but for mechanical engineering
Reply 1
Original post by FarajZaidi
i am a year 12 and i want to do some extra things for mechanical engineering which will make my personal statement stand out as i want to go to a top university such as imperial

i saw a similiar post which the comments recommended the arduino kit for electrical engineering. i am looking for something similiar but for mechanical engineering

Look out for masterclasses and workshops that you could do over the summer that relate to engineering. Anything STEM related, maths/science related works. Arduino kit I've heard is pretty complicated but if you're up to learn it, go for it! What I did was a Nuclear Physics masterclass that was hosted by Uni of York. Honestly for imperial, I think they're more focused on your academic abilities which you'll show through your predicted grades and admissions test ( be sure to prepare thoroughly for it, they'll ask you about Mechanics, Physics and Maths related stuff). Also make sure you can actually prove to an interviewer that you are genuinely interested in doing Mechanical Engineering. One thing I would have done is look at recent innovations in the industry that relate to electrical/mechanical engineering, if you're able to talk about that sorta stuff it makes it sound like you're actively researching about the field.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Thanks a lot
With mechanical engineering most universities having specific experiences generally doesn’t make a great deal of difference in admissions as so much of this is around what opportunity & resources are available to individuals. Additionally mechanical engineering on a national level is not excessively over subscribed to, thus grades are the primary driver of university admissions. Best thing you can do to keep as many university options open is have excellent grades.

If you are interested in engineering skills, then you could teach yourself some programming like python or matlab. There are also some free professional engineering journals available online.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest