The Student Room Group

I am from the Middle East and support Israel, here's why...

I am currently 16 years old and from an early age have always been greatly engaged in geopolitics and current affairs in the UK, Asia, America, etc; it's always been of immense interest to me. I will split why I support Israel into 2-3 sections, and I would love for people to ask me questions and let me know your viewpoints. I'm not closed off to my point of view like many.

Background

My grandfather, born in 1927 in Iran, was born just after a coup that saw the beginning of a new Imperial dynasty led by Reza Khan, now the Shah of Iran. 19 years later, after the more progressive takeover of his son, Mohammad Reza, he eagerly joined the Imperial Army and became a Private. By about 1970, he managed to rise the ranks to a role equivalent to that of a general. His family, including my father (born in 1967) enjoyed a good upbringing and my dad even met the Shahbanu (Farah Diba) but unfortunately not the Shah himself. My mother had roots of the Shia Safavid Dynasty which reigned in Iran centuries prior so you could say they had quite a royalist background.

Under the Shah, Iran enjoyed modernisation and opening up to the West and women had a choice to wear a hijab and the right to vote. The Shah also, very excellently in my opinion, announced his support for both Palestine and Israel and a two-state solution. However, as some of you reading this will know, the Shi'ite clergy and the mullahs managed to amass a following to start a revolution. In the late months of 1978, when the Imperial regime fell apart, my dad's entire family was advised to leave by advisors of the Shah migrating to the UK. My mum came to the UK by about 2001, and she met my father there. With the clergy's control, much changed. Open relations with the west ended completely, women were stripped of all civil liberties, and the new regime enacted terrorism as seen with the capturing of US hostages in 1980. They condemned Israel and affiliated them with the "great Satan". My country also began to fund proxy groups like Hamas and Hezbollah.

Political Education

Learning about my country's history and actions further allowed me to gain an opinion on what was happening with Israel and Palestine. Before the Iranian Revolution, the Shah's regime was seen as a bastion of stability and friendship to the west in a territory of uncertainty. Thanks to the clergy, Israel now took that role. Looking at it all, Islamic fundamentalism is the greatest threat to democracy. My country is exporting terrorism, be it with the Houthis in Yemen, Hamas in Gaza, and Hezbollah. Israel must be protected because it is the final force we have against the darkness that extreme Islam brings. But, Hamas is not the only threat; in fact, it's not even a threat at all. Exterminating them will not achieve anything, as Iran will only replace them with a new group with the same purpose. What the west needs to do is target the Islamic regime in Iran and destroy the breeding ground of these groups, and STOP financial and military funding to both Ukraine, Israel and Gaza.

I know so many of you will vehemently disagree with this, but I am eager to hear your views and perhaps we can discuss things civilly.

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit confused where Ukraine comes into this, and must admit when you start talking like 'Israel must be protected as the final force against the darkness' it sounds a bit extreme, are you calling for war with Iran?
Couldn’t care less to be honest
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
I'm a bit confused where Ukraine comes into this, and must admit when you start talking like 'Israel must be protected as the final force against the darkness' it sounds a bit extreme, are you calling for war with Iran?

They are the source of Islamic fundamentalism. Not war, but heavy sanctions. People must understand that regime wants to wipe the west off the map. I believe that Hamas do not represent the Palestinians and are just a proxy of Iran, same as with other groups.

Ukraine is just another example of where I disagree with financial and military aid.
Do you support Israel's indiscriminate bombing campaign that has currently killed over twenty thousand Gazans, over ten thousand of which were children? Do you support Benjamin Netanyahu and the IDF using Hamas' terrorist attack as justification for the ethnic cleansing of the Gaza strip? This isn't an ideological conflict against 'darkness', it's a bloodbath against largely powerless civilians.
Reply 5
Original post by NameUserer
Do you support Israel's indiscriminate bombing campaign that has currently killed over twenty thousand Gazans, over ten thousand of which were children? Do you support Benjamin Netanyahu and the IDF using Hamas' terrorist attack as justification for the ethnic cleansing of the Gaza strip? This isn't an ideological conflict against 'darkness', it's a bloodbath against largely powerless civilians.

No, I don't. Ideologically I very much support Israel (I'm not Jewish btw). But the war is not necesarry at all. People must understand that these proxy groups will just spring up again but in different name. We need to target the source of Islamic fundamentalism. As for the conflict now, I wouldn't mind a ceasefire. But covert operations targeting Hamas leaders would be quite good in my opinion.

What must be done is increasing sanctions on Iran and limiting their influence on geopolitics. Whether you like it or not, Israel would help us with that.
Additionally, why do you think Gaza city became a 'breeding ground' for terrorist organisations? Is it perhaps because they've been kept in an apartheid situation where the Israeli police constantly brutalises them? Is it because their children are imprisoned for years for throwing stones at tanks? Is it because they're undergone years of bombing, leaving kids orphaned, alone and vulnerable to radicalisation?
Reply 7
Original post by Mohammed_80
Couldn’t care less to be honest

Then no need to comment?

Being so closed off to different views than yourself is what truly threatens society today
Original post by Mesacake
Then no need to comment?

Being so closed off to different views than yourself is what truly threatens society today

The killing of innocent children and families hurts society
Reply 9
Original post by Mohammed_80
The killing of innocent children and families hurts society

Why is October 7th forgotten about? And every attack by Palestinian terrorists on innocent Israelis. Hamas is worse than the IDF.

If you say Hamas doesn't represent Palestinians, then the IDF does not represent Israelis. Children and families are being killed on BOTH sides, so that argument doesn't really work.
They are the source of Islamic fundamentalism. Not war, but heavy sanctions. People must understand that regime wants to wipe the west off the map. I believe that Hamas do not represent the Palestinians and are just a proxy of Iran, same as with other groups.

Ukraine is just another example of where I disagree with financial and military aid.

Iran is already under heavy sanctions and has been for years, it only accomplishes so much and countries will adapt and find new friends, like Iran did

So essentially that isn't a credible plan, do you have another way to compel Iran that isn't sanction or invasion?

You still aren't saying what you disagree with re Ukraine, it looks like you just threw them in randomly.
Reply 11
Original post by NameUserer
Additionally, why do you think Gaza city became a 'breeding ground' for terrorist organisations? Is it perhaps because they've been kept in an apartheid situation where the Israeli police constantly brutalises them? Is it because their children are imprisoned for years for throwing stones at tanks? Is it because they're undergone years of bombing, leaving kids orphaned, alone and vulnerable to radicalisation?

Ever since Hamas won the Palestinian Authority election in 2006, they have fully controlled Gaza and Israel has not intervened. When they commenced a BRUTAL attack on innocent Israelis, then of course that will change.

If Hamas cared about Palestinians, they would have kept the peace, not attacked knowing full well there would be unprecedented retaliation.
Reply 12
Iran is already under heavy sanctions and has been for years, it only accomplishes so much and countries will adapt and find new friends, like Iran did

So essentially that isn't a credible plan, do you have another way to compel Iran that isn't sanction or invasion?

You still aren't saying what you disagree with re Ukraine, it looks like you just threw them in randomly.

That's the thing. To target Iran we would have to completely modify our foreign policy and that's where Ukraine comes in. If we reform relations with Russia, they won't have to turn to Iran and we can ensure they trade less. I won't get into Ukraine too much but essentially, if we make sure their economy is on their knees and people like Biden don't give them 6 billion dollars in exchange for a couple hostages, then I'm sure their regime will be paralysed.
Why is October 7th forgotten about? And every attack by Palestinian terrorists on innocent Israelis. Hamas is worse than the IDF.

If you say Hamas doesn't represent Palestinians, then the IDF does not represent Israelis. Children and families are being killed on BOTH sides, so that argument doesn't really work.

Innocent Israelis what the Innocent Palestinians definitely

Argument works your in denial
That's the thing. To target Iran we would have to completely modify our foreign policy and that's where Ukraine comes in. If we reform relations with Russia, they won't have to turn to Iran and we can ensure they trade less. I won't get into Ukraine too much but essentially, if we make sure their economy is on their knees and people like Biden don't give them 6 billion dollars in exchange for a couple hostages, then I'm sure their regime will be paralysed.

Are you serious? You want to see the economy and people of Ukraine on their knees or dead just because it might lead to Russia being 'sort of' on side for something else? that's callous in the extreme.
Reply 16
Are you serious? You want to see the economy and people of Ukraine on their knees or dead just because it might lead to Russia being 'sort of' on side for something else? that's callous in the extreme.

Zelenskyy is insanely corrupt. I know it's by no means a popular opinion, but Ukraine doesn't matter to me. It's a country many can't even find on a map. We shouldn't be funding them without any upside to us.

Instead, we should declare neutrality and let Russia and Ukraine fight their war, whilst reforming relations with Russia so we can fix our economy a little bit. It doesn't sound radical to me; not our country, not our business.
Reply 17

Also when talking about economy being on their knees I was talking about Iran, not Ukraine.
Zelenskyy is insanely corrupt. I know it's by no means a popular opinion, but Ukraine doesn't matter to me. It's a country many can't even find on a map. We shouldn't be funding them without any upside to us.

Instead, we should declare neutrality and let Russia and Ukraine fight their war, whilst reforming relations with Russia so we can fix our economy a little bit. It doesn't sound radical to me; not our country, not our business.

Well, as you say, it's not a popular opinion, many would call it baseless propaganda. I don't see how you can credibly claim 'not out country not our business' while also talking about interfering in other countries and embracing a reckless state policy of assassination?

If Ukr and Rus should be left to murder themselves, then by the same logic so should Israel and Iran, no sanctions, no western interference, no Coalitions™, no Bidens... Or do you think that logic should only apply when it suits your argument?
Reply 19
Well, as you say, it's not a popular opinion, many would call it baseless propaganda. I don't see how you can credibly claim 'not out country not our business' while also talking about interfering in other countries and embracing a reckless state policy of assassination?

If Ukr and Rus should be left to murder themselves, then by the same logic so should Israel and Iran, no sanctions, no western interference, no Coalitions™, no Bidens... Or do you think that logic should only apply when it suits your argument?

Islamic fundamentalism is a threat to democracy, Russia is not. They have made it clear time and time again, if we left them and Ukraine alone, a friendly relationship would be possible as seen in the Trump administration in America. However, radical Islamists want to see the west eradicated so we must target the source of their hypocrisy.

Latest

Trending

Trending