The Student Room Group

what options for withdrawing from masters course

Hi I have started a masters course in september part time, but the course has been different to how it was advertised, and I'm not sure if i will be able to get the skills I need for the career pathway. I have a PG loan for this course, but considering withdrawing from the course, to apply for another. Where would that leave me in terms of applying for a loan for the second course? I did everything I could do to make sure that the course was right for me, but the course went through course revalidation (name change, course leader change - the works) from when I started my application.
Hi there. You are only able to apply or 1 postgraduate masters loan, so if you withdraw from this, then you would not be eligible to take out another loan without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

More info on CPR can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. You are only able to apply or 1 postgraduate masters loan, so if you withdraw from this, then you would not be eligible to take out another loan without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

More info on CPR can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,

Thank you for replying. Is there any options for me going forward? As I am doing the course part time I have only had the loan for one module going forward?

I have read the compelling reasons, but I can see that the course Isn't allowed to be a reason.

Obviously the course has been disappointing and I feel I am now faced with having to stick with the course as I would be unable to afford to pay for a course for myself outright.

Thank you,

Jen
Reply 3
Hi Leah,

Thank you for replying.

What options do I have then? I have read the link that you have sent and can see that the course is allowed to be a reason. As I am studying part time, I have only received money for 1 module so far.

There feels like there is very little protection for student who have been let down by the university. I feel that the options would be to stick the course out even though it is not how it was initially advertised, as I couldn't afford to pay for a new course outright (the whole reason for the loan in the first place)
Original post by jsvahe
Hi Leah,

Thank you for replying.

What options do I have then? I have read the link that you have sent and can see that the course is allowed to be a reason. As I am studying part time, I have only received money for 1 module so far.

There feels like there is very little protection for student who have been let down by the university. I feel that the options would be to stick the course out even though it is not how it was initially advertised, as I couldn't afford to pay for a new course outright (the whole reason for the loan in the first place)

Hi there. Unfortunately, even if you have only studied for a short period and withdraw then you cannot take out another postgraduate masters loan. Unless you have an extenuating circumstance that prevented you from completing the course. We don't offer any alternative funding, so the best thing to do would be to speak with the university/course provider. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending