The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Do I have a chance at Imperial EEE with average GCSEs + mat score?

Only got 999988766 with 9s in maths and triple science and 6s in English language and Spanish. Also flopped the EEE mat and only got 10. Predicted 3A* though with an A* in maths already achieved. No contextual flags either. I think my ps is pretty decent though. I've been put on hold so I think there is a very small chance of me getting an interview and I'm a home student which means I may have a higher chance of getting an offer compared to if I were overseas according to the admissions data though Im not banking on it
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Serindepity
Only got 999988766 with 9s in maths and triple science and 6s in English language and Spanish. Also flopped the EEE mat and only got 10. Predicted 3A* though with an A* in maths already achieved. No contextual flags either. I think my ps is pretty decent though. I've been put on hold so I think there is a very small chance of me getting an interview and I'm a home student which means I may have a higher chance of getting an offer compared to if I were overseas according to the admissions data though Im not banking on it

You will have received an email a few days ago informing you that you will not hear back from them until March next year (I applied for Computer Science and got my offer 8 days ago but I have a friend who is applying for EEE and he was telling me about this).

Your GCSEs are fine but EEE is quite popular right? I don't think they will take too much into account with GSCEs given that they have your personal statement, predicted grades and your admissions test score (and maybe your interview if you have had it. I don't know whether you have had it or not so I can't say it). You have top A level grades so you shouldn't have to worry regarding that matter but it will be quite competitive to get an interview because there will be people with similar grades who smashed the admissions test and have also nailed the MAT. Now I don't know what is considered a good score on the MAT but I believe that my friend got 15 on it and secured an interview but he may have scored higher??

Don't worry about your chances. I feel as though I am very much an average student and the chances of getting an offer to Imperial for Computer Science is 1 in 20 according to last year's stats on the website (5% acceptance rate!!) and when I sent my application off, me and another friend were laughing saying that we just sent Imperial and Cambridge two extra applications to reject (one from each of us).

My stats:

GCSEs: 9999999988 (8s in English Lit and RS)

A levels: 5A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ

This past month, my friend got the Cambridge interview (I got rejected so I guess I was right in my case) and I got an Imperial offer (my friend got rejected). Goes to show that sometimes, miracles can happen.

I felt that my admissions test was straightforward but tight for time and my personal statement was decent (I am not making this conclusion myself - when I sent it off, I thought it was shocking but I wanted to get it over and done with at that point) because I had received offers from Manchester and Edinburgh to study CS, which is their flagship course. My interview was good apart from one shaky Maths question (which I eventually got) and ran over by 10 minutes so I think that was a good sign.

You will have to wait a while to hear back from Imperial but at least you can relax with the thought that you don't have to sit another admissions test like I do (part of the reason why they review Computing and JMC applicants first).
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
You will have received an email a few days ago informing you that you will not hear back from them until March next year (I applied for Computer Science and got my offer 8 days ago but I have a friend who is applying for EEE and he was telling me about this).

Your GCSEs are fine but EEE is quite popular right? I don't think they will take too much into account with GSCEs given that they have your personal statement, predicted grades and your admissions test score (and maybe your interview if you have had it. I don't know whether you have had it or not so I can't say it). You have top A level grades so you shouldn't have to worry regarding that matter but it will be quite competitive to get an interview because there will be people with similar grades who smashed the admissions test and have also nailed the MAT. Now I don't know what is considered a good score on the MAT but I believe that my friend got 15 on it and secured an interview but he may have scored higher??

Don't worry about your chances. I feel as though I am very much an average student and the chances of getting an offer to Imperial for Computer Science is 1 in 20 according to last year's stats on the website (5% acceptance rate!!) and when I sent my application off, me and another friend were laughing saying that we just sent Imperial and Cambridge two extra applications to reject (one from each of us).

My stats:

GCSEs: 9999999988 (8s in English Lit and RS)

A levels: 5A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ

This past month, my friend got the Cambridge interview (I got rejected so I guess I was right in my case) and I got an Imperial offer (my friend got rejected). Goes to show that sometimes, miracles can happen.

I felt that my admissions test was straightforward but tight for time and my personal statement was decent (I am not making this conclusion myself - when I sent it off, I thought it was shocking but I wanted to get it over and done with at that point) because I had received offers from Manchester and Edinburgh to study CS, which is their flagship course. My interview was good apart from one shaky Maths question (which I eventually got) and ran over by 10 minutes so I think that was a good sign.

You will have to wait a while to hear back from Imperial but at least you can relax with the thought that you don't have to sit another admissions test like I do (part of the reason why they review Computing and JMC applicants first).

I haven't had my interview yet that's why I'm worried
Original post by Serindepity
I haven't had my interview yet that's why I'm worried

Don't worry....your time will come. My friend doing EEE applied really early because he was also applying for Engineering at Cambridge. The majority of interviews haven't taken place yet so you still have some time to hear back from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending