The Student Room Group

Biphasic Sleep Schedule

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about this?

I'm currently trying different study schedules. I've spent a while figuring out my most productive hours which are between 12 am - 5 am. But my classes usually run from 10 am - 5 pm. I've decided to try sleeping in four hour cycles ( 8 pm - 12 am, 4 am - 8 am) with a study session in-between.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
If you go on reddit there’s a subreddit called r/polyphasicsleep. I think that’s the name i’m not sure, but they have a lot of information on how to make it work for you

I tried a polyphasic sleepchedule for a while were i would sleep from 7pm until 10pm and then study till 2/3am and then go back to sleep at awake at 6am? It wasn’t the most structured as i didn’t realise this routine had an actual name.

I found it beneficial in the sense that when i woke up i was 10x more productive. I also managed to do a lot of school work. The issue for me however, was feeling moody all the time, maybe i was doing something wrong
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
If you go on reddit there’s a subreddit called r/polyphasicsleep. I think that’s the name i’m not sure, but they have a lot of information on how to make it work for you

I tried a polyphasic sleepchedule for a while were i would sleep from 7pm until 10pm and then study till 2/3am and then go back to sleep at awake at 6am? It wasn’t the most structured as i didn’t realise this routine had an actual name.

I found it beneficial in the sense that when i woke up i was 10x more productive. I also managed to do a lot of school work. The issue for me however, was feeling moody all the time, maybe i was doing something wrong

Thank you so much for the info ^_^. I'll check out the subreddit.

Your schedule is similar to the one I want to try. I was worried about it affecting my mood since I already have mood swings, but I might be willing to trade moodiness for increased productivity. There's a lot to get done with so little time. Maybe I'll find some way to make it work without the side-effects.

Thanks, once again.
Original post by DarylO
Thank you so much for the info ^_^. I'll check out the subreddit.

Your schedule is similar to the one I want to try. I was worried about it affecting my mood since I already have mood swings, but I might be willing to trade moodiness for increased productivity. There's a lot to get done with so little time. Maybe I'll find some way to make it work without the side-effects.

Thanks, once again.

No problem! I feel like i may have to go back to it as well, i also have very little time to do things but the constant feeling of anxiety and tiredness was very draining. I might try re-establishing an actual routine. If you figure anything out let me know :smile:
Reply 4
No problem! I feel like i may have to go back to it as well, i also have very little time to do things but the constant feeling of anxiety and tiredness was very draining. I might try re-establishing an actual routine. If you figure anything out let me know :smile:

For sure. Hopefully, this experiment turns out good ^_^
Original post by DarylO
For sure. Hopefully, this experiment turns out good ^_^
How is it going?
Reply 6
How is it going?
Heyy ^_^.

I tried it for some time, and there were clear differences. It felt like I had two days every single day. After the first three or four days, I was more focused than usual, and had a lot more energy. It was a lot easier to concentrate on studying. I was looking out for the negative mood swings but I didn't get those. Maybe that's because I already have issues that affect my mood.

However, breaking my sleep halfway was a serious task. At some point, my body disliked it so much that I had to physically force myself out of bed. That was the main negative.
Reply 7
How is it going?

I've decided to use both methods. During the earlier weeks of the semester, I go to bed around 9pm so I can wake up by 5 am. As we get closer to our exams, I'll adopt the biphasic sleep schedule for increased concentration.

It's all just trial and error till you find what works for you. Goodluck with it ^_^
Original post by DarylO
I've decided to use both methods. During the earlier weeks of the semester, I go to bed around 9pm so I can wake up by 5 am. As we get closer to our exams, I'll adopt the biphasic sleep schedule for increased concentration.
It's all just trial and error till you find what works for you. Goodluck with it ^_^
Interesting, thanks!! glad you've found something that works

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending