The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mathematics Part III Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ShanghaiDoll
I've been told that this is basically what PAO has been renamed to now. Congratulations

Do you know when we will get the official letter of admittance and details of other things like college and scholarship?
Original post by rigel_1313
Oh wow, I really hope this is true. Thanks! Where did you hear it from??

Everyone who were PAO in a different master's course had their status changed to this, and people who had not been in PAO previously went straight into this phase instead of PAO, so it just looks like they changed the terms for it.
Original post by dorime01
Do you know when we will get the official letter of admittance and details of other things like college and scholarship?

Not particularly, but in previous years it used to be end of march to April, so I'd expect it to be similar now as well but it might vary a bit
Reply 43

Cambridge claims it takes approximately 10 days to clear PAO stage, and that college memberships is normally sent within 3 weeks of receiving the official offer from PAO. I think scholarships are their own thing, timelines depend on the scholarship type, college/funding body, etc, but I'm not sure about that one
Reply 44
Everyone who were PAO in a different master's course had their status changed to this, and people who had not been in PAO previously went straight into this phase instead of PAO, so it just looks like they changed the terms for it.

What about the degree comittee stage? Do you know if that still have its own text message, or does it also fall under the "Decision pending" umbrella?

Ahh, but then it seems like almost everyone's status was changed to Decision Pending. Can anyone here confirm if theirs is still stuck on under review by department?
Original post by orkyd
What about the degree comittee stage? Do you know if that still have its own text message, or does it also fall under the "Decision pending" umbrella?

From the sample size I've seen (~50), no one's reported going on the degree committee, so it's likely that it was grouped under that umbrella, but from seeing the past few years, people did went through decision commitee so fast that they didn't even notice it to be able to report it. I think we'll have to wait until a few more people who regularly check their status every few hours report here.
Ahh, but then it seems like almost everyone's status was changed to Decision Pending. Can anyone here confirm if theirs is still stuck on under review by department?

I'm still under review by department for mathematical statistics.
I'm still under review by department for mathematical statistics.

Ohh I see. This may sound a little pessimistic, but could it be possible that the decision pending is just a standby status before issuing an official acceptance or rejection? Those who went from PAO to Decision Pending are on standby for an acceptance, as they initiate the final stages, whereas those who went from Under review by department to directly Decision Pending are on standby for an impending rejection :frown:
Ohh I see. This may sound a little pessimistic, but could it be possible that the decision pending is just a standby status before issuing an official acceptance or rejection? Those who went from PAO to Decision Pending are on standby for an acceptance, as they initiate the final stages, whereas those who went from Under review by department to directly Decision Pending are on standby for an impending rejection :frown:

I think it would be a bit strange that no one else has gone to PAO here or in the machine learning master's degree after this umbrella term started popping up, so I would personally regard anything apart from a rejection or under review by department as a promising sign right now...

(also a few days is too fast for the PAO process so those people who were previously on PAO likely aren't in the next stage, and it's just another name for PAO)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Jahahahahahahah
As in previous years, since I couldn't find one for 2024:

To introduce yourself, please add the following (only if you are comfortable):

Current University and current course:
Prospective Course:
Prospective Colleges:
Current University Grades:
Any research experience/valuable information:

Application timeline:

- XX: submitted
- XX: last referee submitted/under review by department
- XX: Degree Committee
- XX: GAO
- XX: Conditional Offer

Current university and course: University of Warwick MMath Mathematics (will switch to BSc if I get offer)
Prospective Course: MASt Pure Mathematics
Prospective Colleges: Christs, Kings
Current University Grades: 84.1% First Year, 88.2% Second Year
Research Experience: Not really got any, doing a third year essay with a notable person in Dynamical Systems who I will be doing a research project with this summer.

Application Timeline:
26th Nov: Submitted
9th Dec: Last Reference
12th Dec: Under review by department
2nd Feb: Decision Pending
15th Feb: Conditional Offer (Graduate with a first overall)
(edited 2 months ago)
I think it would be a bit strange that no one else has gone to PAO here or in the machine learning master's degree after this umbrella term started popping up, so I would personally regard anything apart from a rejection or under review by department as a promising sign right now...

(also a few days is too fast for the PAO process so those people who were previously on PAO likely aren't in the next stage, and it's just another name for PAO)

Pretty sure my status changed today to "Under review by department - Your application is currently under review.". I don't remember it being "currently under review", and it's not a "decision pending" unlike some people on here. Can I take it as being rejected? ☹️ I applied through the stats stream.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by statslover46
Pretty sure my status changed today to "Under review by department - Your application is currently under review.". I don't remember it being "currently under review", and it's not a "decision pending" unlike some people on here. Can I take it as being rejected? ☹️ I applied through the stats stream.

No it just means you're still under department review. They changed the phrasings for department review and changed PAO + DC to decision pending. Don't read too much into it. Hope this helps
Reply 53
Original post by superbanana19
No it just means you're still under department review. They changed the phrasings for department review and changed PAO + DC to decision pending. Don't read too much into it. Hope this helps

Is DC degree committee? Is it after PAO or before PAO?

Thanks, stats applications appear to be reviewed last; previous years show that some people still received early rejections within this stream. As you said, I shouldn't try guess this just from a small change in status.

Do you have any official info that DC+PAO is decision pending now? I am sorry, but I don't wanna get too excited with this change.
Reply 56
Is DC degree committee? Is it after PAO or before PAO?

Yep, dc is degree committee. It's between department review and PAO
Do you have any official info that DC+PAO is decision pending now? I am sorry, but I don't wanna get too excited with this change.

Again there is no official info. You only need a substantial sample to make a statistically sound inference. Here is how I would argue that Decision Pending is just DC/PAO:

On Feb 1, everyone on PAO, and I mean everyone, not just Part III applicants got moved to Decision Pending.

Since Feb 1, there has not been a single soul claiming to have been moved from Department review to PAO. They have all been moved to decision pending.

NOT everyone is on decision pending, some are still on department review (as expected. we wouldn't expect everyone to suddenly be on PAO)

Other popular theory that if you go straight from department review to decision pending means that you'll be rejected just doesn't make sense. When you get rejected by your department, that's just it, you're rejected. No one would review anything as you have been rejected.

Everyone who has received an offer since Feb 1 has received it after being in the decision pending stage

Any other theories are welcome, if you want to remain prudent with your expectations, this is understandable and you can then do so.

Reply 58
Do you know of any one who has been rejected? Almost everyone here seems to be in Decision pending right now. I guess we will not be getting any updates during these weekends.

Also anyone here willing to create a OMMS thread?
Original post by statslover46
Thanks, stats applications appear to be reviewed last; previous years show that some people still received early rejections within this stream. As you said, I shouldn't try guess this just from a small change in status.

As far as I know, everyone in the stats stream is either rejected or has this same status... It's going to be a long wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending