The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mathematics Part III Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dorime01
Do you know of any one who has been rejected? Almost everyone here seems to be in Decision pending right now. I guess we will not be getting any updates during these weekends.

Also anyone here willing to create a OMMS thread?

Someone here was already rejected (look at page 1).
Reply 61
Original post by ShanghaiDoll
Someone here was already rejected (look at page 1).

oops, my bad.
Reply 62
Original post by cz1616161
Sorry for the late answer.
I am currently studying at one of the TU9 (leading technical universities in Germany)

A German fellow here. Coming from a TU, I assume you miss the relevant modules for this stream. Maybe it would have been better to apply for „Applied Mathematics“. After being admitted you can chose every course, including all stats modules. It doesn’t matter to which stream your were originally admitted to.
Original post by Lulach
A German fellow here. Coming from a TU, I assume you miss the relevant modules for this stream. Maybe it would have been better to apply for „Applied Mathematics“. After being admitted you can chose every course, including all stats modules. It doesn’t matter to which stream your were originally admitted to.

I read somewhere that it doesn't really matter if you applied to the wrong stream as they will refer your application to appropriate stream should they think your application would be better suited for that particular stream. Hope this helps
Original post by superbanana19
I read somewhere that it doesn't really matter if you applied to the wrong stream as they will refer your application to appropriate stream should they think your application would be better suited for that particular stream. Hope this helps

I read from Gowers that the main reason strong candidates get rejected is because of a mismatch of their past course choices with what they're wanting to do at Part III, i.e. applying to want to do probability without having studied measure theory or wanting to do number theory without having taken a course in galois theory etc.

In these cases even if the candidate has a great track record on physics modules and would get in through that stream, it would be hard to refer them there if their application focused on e.g number theory.
Reply 65
Any update anyone?
Reply 66
Hi, I want to ask if it is necessary to have some experience related to maths/physics to be successful in your application? or can having finance-related experience be good enough? I am planning to apply for theoretical physics.
Reply 67
Found this on the main postgrad thread:
https://camadmissions.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10352268940050-Offer-processing-times-2024-25-academic-year

It gets updated with the PAO progress. E.g. right now, it says that they're processing people who got to the PAO stage on Jan 25, so those can expect offers/rejections soon
Original post by orkyd
Found this on the main postgrad thread:
https://camadmissions.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10352268940050-Offer-processing-times-2024-25-academic-year

It gets updated with the PAO progress. E.g. right now, it says that they're processing people who got to the PAO stage on Jan 25, so those can expect offers/rejections soon

This doesn't say anything about the Decision Pending state right?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 69
Original post by rigel_1313
This doesn't say anything about the Decision Pending state right?

Not explicitly, but it's fair to assume that "decision pending" is the new DC + PAO. DC is usually super quick from what I've seen in threads form previous years (people often said that they didn't even notice it), so PAO probably takes up the biggest chunk of the decision pending waiting time
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by orkyd
Not explicitly, but it's fair to assume that "decision pending" is the new DC + PAO. DC is usually super quick from what I've seen in threads form previous years (people often said that they didn't even notice it), so PAO probably takes up the biggest chunk of the decision pending waiting time

Okay! So those who got Decision Pending after 1 Feb, should expect to receive a decision till 20 Feb at most? Considering, DC and PAO can take upto 10 days each.
Reply 71
Does anyone know when we will have information on funding? At the same time of admission or much after?
Reply 72
Original post by Loomis667
Does anyone know when we will have information on funding? At the same time of admission or much after?

Offers of funding and admission are separate, so it depends entirely on what the funding bodies decide. Apparently July is their deadline, so any time between now and then is possible
Has anyone received any offers yet?
Reply 74
Does part III accept international students without scholarship?
Reply 75
Also anyone want to make a thread for OMMS?
Also anyone want to make a thread for OMMS?

OMMS decisions all tend to come within a week for everyone instead of how Part III is, so I'm not sure there'll be much activity in a thread for OMMS. Honestly, I prefer it much more to anxiously checking my portal everyday for Part III in hopes of seeing some change...
Reply 77
OMMS decisions all tend to come within a week for everyone instead of how Part III is, so I'm not sure there'll be much activity in a thread for OMMS. Honestly, I prefer it much more to anxiously checking my portal everyday for Part III in hopes of seeing some change...

Do you have any idea when OMMS to sent out decisions last year?
Do you have any idea when OMMS to sent out decisions last year?

End of March/Start of April for those that were not waitlisted
Reply 79
End of March/Start of April for those that were not waitlisted

Damm, long wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending