The Student Room Group

Struggling to find a job during my gap year? What do I do??

So I decided to take an impromptu gap year from October and had a job between then till the end of December as a temp at a local supermarket. However I wasn’t kept on and afaik nor were any other temps from talking to my mates who are full time workers there. I’ve been job searching in my local area but it’s a pretty small town and I unfortunately don’t drive so I’m kinda stuck at trying to find jobs which are only accessible by transport like the bus and train. I do live somewhat near London and am able to get into the city but again that’s a 1hr 30 commute. Was wondering if anyone knows what I can do? I’ve started applying to jobs in London now but I am kinda clueless as to whether I should instead be looking at temp agencies or other types of work? Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by AprilJune63
So I decided to take an impromptu gap year from October and had a job between then till the end of December as a temp at a local supermarket. However I wasn’t kept on and afaik nor were any other temps from talking to my mates who are full time workers there. I’ve been job searching in my local area but it’s a pretty small town and I unfortunately don’t drive so I’m kinda stuck at trying to find jobs which are only accessible by transport like the bus and train. I do live somewhat near London and am able to get into the city but again that’s a 1hr 30 commute. Was wondering if anyone knows what I can do? I’ve started applying to jobs in London now but I am kinda clueless as to whether I should instead be looking at temp agencies or other types of work? Any help would be appreciated!

You're in a tough spot right now because presumably you're off to university in September/October and so would only be staying on for a couple of months, so not many places will be happy to hire you. That being said, keep trying anyway. Keep applying to anything you can find - the job market is hard these days. Temp agencies and other 0-hour contract jobs are your best bet to fill your time between now and the start of university. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
You're in a tough spot right now because presumably you're off to university in September/October and so would only be staying on for a couple of months, so not many places will be happy to hire you. That being said, keep trying anyway. Keep applying to anything you can find - the job market is hard these days. Temp agencies and other 0-hour contract jobs are your best bet to fill your time between now and the start of university. Good luck!
I genuinely have no idea how temp agencies work or what agencies I should be applying to :frown:
I genuinely have no idea how temp agencies work or what agencies I should be applying to :frown:

Temp agencies are agencies that offer temporary jobs, so they're good if you value flexibility, and since their very nature is temporary, they shouldn't be too bothered that you'll be off to uni come autumn. What agencies should you apply to? The ones that are hiring in your local area
Hiya,
Sorry to hear that your efforts to find a job during your gap year haven't yet been successful! I would say if you're living in a remote area and don't drive, there's usually 2 things to do:
1) Create a job for yourself by advertising any skills you have. Can you tutor in any specific subject for example?
2) Find a job where you'd be working remotely. Can you find any vacancies where you could use your personal laptop, if you have one, and work online?
I hope that your job search goes well for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest