The Student Room Group

Job advise

For the past 3 days I been stressing and I'm unable to sleep at night. I been offered a job first for 2 days in office and now 3 days in office I was pressured by recruiter I told him about my concerns and wanting to buy house in near future and if the company would be okay with remote in future they said no. Now I'm having doubts and gut feeling I want a fully remote job. The recruiter said he scheduled meeting eith company and will send me contract. Technically can I interrupt that and say it doesn't meet with my future goals? My friends told me to go for it as better money but I don't want to end up hating going working every morning. So stressed out right now
Original post by johnathanReid
For the past 3 days I been stressing and I'm unable to sleep at night. I been offered a job first for 2 days in office and now 3 days in office I was pressured by recruiter I told him about my concerns and wanting to buy house in near future and if the company would be okay with remote in future they said no. Now I'm having doubts and gut feeling I want a fully remote job. The recruiter said he scheduled meeting eith company and will send me contract. Technically can I interrupt that and say it doesn't meet with my future goals? My friends told me to go for it as better money but I don't want to end up hating going working every morning. So stressed out right now

I'm struggling to see the dilemma here. The recruiter doesn't care at all about what you need/want - they just want the commission they'll get for having placed you in a job you don't want. Recruiters lie all the time to get you to accept a job that isn't really right for you.

So this job is more money. So what? If it's not a job you want, then walk away. You haven't signed the contract yet, so you have the opportunity to say "Sorry guys. Changed by mind."

Then you continue the search for the fully remote job you actually want. (Not via this particular recruiter, obviously.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I'm struggling to see the dilemma here. The recruiter doesn't care at all about what you need/want - they just want the commission they'll get for having placed you in a job you don't want. Recruiters lie all the time to get you to accept a job that isn't really right for you.

So this job is more money. So what? If it's not a job you want, then walk away. You haven't signed the contract yet, so you have the opportunity to say "Sorry guys. Changed by mind."

Then you continue the search for the fully remote job you actually want. (Not via this particular recruiter, obviously.)

I feel so bad now he pressured it on to me said oh its unfair on other candidates they lost space because of you and gave no information regarding hours, dates, holidays. I told my friends about this and they said just take it for experience when you move get new job. But me personally I want to get a decent role that aligns with my future and is correct. I been applying to interviews and I don't pass the technical test which means I lack the fundamental skills. This job is for mid developer so I will struggle alot as the experience I have is for core php. I don't know what the recruiter did but the company decided to skip on technical test which I would prefer to do to see what I would be working with or what they expect. I don't want to go there and don't live up to the exception for the high salary
I feel so bad now he pressured it on to me said oh its unfair on other candidates they lost space because of you and gave no information regarding hours, dates, holidays. I told my friends about this and they said just take it for experience when you move get new job. But me personally I want to get a decent role that aligns with my future and is correct. I been applying to interviews and I don't pass the technical test which means I lack the fundamental skills. This job is for mid developer so I will struggle alot as the experience I have is for core php. I don't know what the recruiter did but the company decided to skip on technical test which I would prefer to do to see what I would be working with or what they expect. I don't want to go there and don't live up to the exception for the high salary

OK. So you've just given a whole new set of reasons why you don't want this particular job. So walk away. Don't let the recruiter (or your friends) pressure you into a job you don't want.
Reply 4
OK. So you've just given a whole new set of reasons why you don't want this particular job. So walk away. Don't let the recruiter (or your friends) pressure you into a job you don't want.

Thank you I much appreciate it. At the end of the day I would be the one travelling and hating it. And obviously people don't understand how different it js for devloper role if you don't have the skills and experience you don't have the skills and experience. Obviously you can learn but it's nor similar to a call center role where you would go and learn the product. I hope its my gut feeling and not just insecurities? My friends say so what if you get fired you look for another role. But the problem is especially now how long I will wait?
Thank you I much appreciate it. At the end of the day I would be the one travelling and hating it. And obviously people don't understand how different it js for devloper role if you don't have the skills and experience you don't have the skills and experience. Obviously you can learn but it's nor similar to a call center role where you would go and learn the product. I hope its my gut feeling and not just insecurities? My friends say so what if you get fired you look for another role. But the problem is especially now how long I will wait?

Well, if you find a job you know you can do comfortably, then it's not the right job. You want a job which is a little outside your comfort zone, where it stretches and challenges you - that's how we learn. I have no way of knowing whether your "not just insecurities" comment is a valid one, although I suspect that there's a certain amount of that involved.

That's why I'm focusing on the fact that you want a fully remote job, and this isn't. It was initially going to be 2 days in the office (which you were pressured into accepting, with the hope that it would go fully remote in the future) and then suddenly it was 3 days in the office with no chance of going fully remote. That's the recruiter doing a "bait and switch" on you (getting you interested and committed to one thing and then switching it at the last minute).
Reply 6
I

Well, if you find a job you know you can do comfortably, then it's not the right job. You want a job which is a little outside your comfort zone, where it stretches and challenges you - that's how we learn. I have no way of knowing whether your "not just insecurities" comment is a valid one, although I suspect that there's a certain amount of that involved.

That's why I'm focusing on the fact that you want a fully remote job, and this isn't. It was initially going to be 2 days in the office (which you were pressured into accepting, with the hope that it would go fully remote in the future) and then suddenly it was 3 days in the office with no chance of going fully remote. That's the recruiter doing a "bait and switch" on you (getting you interested and committed to one thing and then switching it at the last minute).

I agree with you about the growth and steeping outside your comfort zone. I'm 26 living with parents my older friend who left 35 said I'm to young to be working remotely and I should go out to people. I'm a introvert no doubt but I honestly prefer my 4 walls my freedom of listening to music while I program ans enjoy no travelling. When I was in the office for previous jobs I hated it and the constant people coming up to me for small talks, fake good morning and see you tomorrow chat. Like I work better alone. Is that okay to have personal preference even at my young age?
The recruiter is pressuring you into taking the role likely because they (quite fairly) want the commission. Recruiters are salespeople. They sell candidates to organisations. They are not there to look out for your career or development. As @DataVenia says, they already appear to have done a bait and switch. And if you weren't the preferred candidate for the role you may have not heard back from them at all.

If you don't want the role don't take it. You may find something that is fully remote in future. Or you could take the role and continue to look for your ideal (fully remote) role. But it has to be your decision, informed by weighing up the pros and cons of the new role vs the current one.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
The recruiter is pressuring you into taking the role likely because they (quite fairly) want the commission. Recruiters are salespeople. They sell candidates to organisations. They are not there to look out for your career or development. As @DataVenia says, they already appear to have done a bait and switch. And if you weren't the preferred candidate for the role you may have not heard back from them at all.

If you don't want the role don't take it. You may find something that is fully remote in future. Or you could take the role and continue to look for your ideal (fully remote) role. But it has to be your decision, informed by weighing up the pros and cons of the new role vs the current one.

Thanks for the contribution I didn't realise how much stress this will cause me literally last 3 days been waking up at 5am and stressing. Obviously it's good money and defo high learning curve but ever since working remote I don't want to work back in the office I want to spend time with family and don't get involved into work politics and micro management. Maybe I'm missing out on great opportunity but it's something I have to live with now I guess. Told the recruiter and he pretended it's okay. I hope it doesn't burn bridges or anything but the company has only 19 employees so its a small company and recruiter well not planning to use them. I find it insane how he pressured me into accepting the job without showing the benefits and producing final offer. He said once I know you fully committed I send you that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending